Creating Routes with Nuvi Trip Planner

I am wondering if I am using Garmin’s Trip Planner correctly. I am brand new to a Nuvi 3590, and understand that its Trip Planner has been the Nuvi standard for about three years. However, I have been used to the 855, and have been very satisfied with its “Create Routes” function…and want to continue my own route customization on the Nuvi.

I intend to use Trip Planner primarily for multi-stop TRIP routing: 500 or so miles per day, with multi stops at various National Parks or sights, and I like to choose my own specific highways. I realize that Garmin’s Base Camp is now the default choice by many users, to customize their routes and import to the Nuvi.

However, I strongly prefer to create my own routes directly on the Nuvi. I have practiced the past week creating six days of routes on the 3590, and find that I can do so much like I experienced on the 855, although it is FAR easier to scroll the map than before. To me, a further advantage of programming the Nuvi is that with experience, I will ALWAYS be able to independently create ANY route by myself, especially when the need occurs away from home…and I don’t have a computer with me.

I use the following method, but want suggestions for doing it more efficiently on the Nuvi: I search for all of our overnight motels, either by Name or Create Address for each one, and enter them into SAVED. I Start each day’s route with the motel we start from, and choose the next night as the End Point (having chosen each from “Saved.” I then Edit each route by adding new interim points, by “Browse Map,” and carefully place my finger on any roads needed to vary from the default route that the Nuvi has created: I add stops, or change to alternate highways.

Because Trip Planner considers each new ROUTE SEGMENT as a separate “Trip,” there is a risk that an ill placed finger selection on the map MIGHT end one segment right AT an intersection (and briefly cause the driver confusion as to what comes next), because there is a tiny gap of time between the Nuvi ending one segment…and beginning the next segment. [NOTE: For those unaware, Trip Planner can create an endless number of segments within a single day’s TRIP.] Thus, I choose to place the finger selection on Browse Map on a part of “open highway” (without any cross streets or road junctions), and always just AFTER an important turn.

Using the above method, I THINK that the Nuvi will perform as I want. I have noticed that despite the multiple SEGMENTS, the Nuvi does virtually immediately segue from the end of one segment into the start of the next one, and I am satisfied with that (as long as it doesn’t make that change as I pass thru a road junction!)

Okay, what do you think? Do others create custom routes directly on their Nuvi Trip Planners? Am I missing something important, OR need to do this differently? Or am I just nuts?

Comments

• Sounds to me that you are doing it one of several "right" ways. You are correct that you do want to be careful not to use an intersection as a via point because of the segmented approach that trip planner uses. It's a problem.

I have tended to use waypoints as vias instead of browse map on longer trips because they can be saved permanently if I mess up. It makes it easier to recreate the route if you just number them from start to finish. The drawback is that you end up with lots of waypoints but they are easy to delete later if necessary. I still use mapsource to manage my Nuvi 3790.

I agree with you that the new trip planner is not as good as the old way for creating a route. I don’t like the segmented approach. It creates new problems. And the new Nuvi’s seem less intelligent about how to choose a route from one place to the next.

You could create the waypoints on basecamp or mapsource and copy them to the nuvi after but I’m not sure that saves a lot of time.
  • alanb 204 Points
    Nuvifan, not to take this off topic but I would like to point out that you CAN import routes from Mapquest to your nuvi 855. I have done it many times. The secret is to to make the intermediate via points into "stops" in Mapquest before you send the route to the nuvi. You do this by right-clicking on each via and select "change via to stop" from the popup menu in Mapquest. This procedure may also work for your nuvi 3590 to send a Mapquest route to the Trip Planner. On the 855, once you have sent the route to the GPS, you need to go to "My Data" and select "Import route from file". On your 3590 Trip Planner, this last step is not needed.

You are correct that Google map routes can not be directly transferred to a nuvi. This is a restriction in Google.
  • Boyd 1317 Points
    This is just a technical point, but the 3590 (and other 2012 models) will not be compatible with Mapsource, Mapquest or other third party programs right out of the box. These devices do not mount like USB disks as the older models did, they are MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) devices. Since they don't appear as disks, software that sends routes and waypoints in a .gpx file will not be able to find the Nuvi.

This behavior can be altered using the developer menu on the Nuvi however - see the instructions in our thread on how to backup your Nuvi.

OTOH, Basecamp does know how to access MTP devices and it can be used to send data to these new models without the need to change any settings.
  • These devices do not mount like USB disks as the older models did, they are MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) devices. Since they don't appear as disks, software that sends routes and waypoints in a .gpx file will not be able to find the Nuvi.

This behavior can be altered using the developer menu on the Nuvi however - see the instructions in our thread on how to backup your Nuvi.

More and more reason for me not to replace the 3790 for a while. I can only see this as one more negative against the 2012 models.
  • nuvifan 0 Points
    I am exceptionally gratified to get input from such experienced Nuvi users as alanb and Boyd on this issue. I have since viewed Boyd's link to "Backup your Nuvi," and plan to use it in very near future.

Question to Boyd: Once I change the "developer menu" to allow Map Transfer Protocol, will I be able to import Mapquest routes, as carefully explained by alanb? Oooh, I'm already looking forward to "rubberbanding" my routes!!

I would still appreciate reading input from other users of Trip Planner, in regard to customizing routes directly on the 3590.
  • Boyd 1317 Points
    Happy to help. Since I don't have one of the 2012 models I can't say for sure whether they will work with Mapquest. But these devices have been reported to work with Mapsource routes, and from the Nuvi's point of view this should be basically the same - a .gpx file that the device will import and convert to a "trip".

I think that's still the "gotcha". Trips and routes are not the same thing and there are a variety of issues related to this. For one thing, let's say you create a "trip" on your Nuvi, then would like to send it to your computer to edit or even archive/move to another unit. Can't really be done. The conversion from routes > trips is a one way street. A trip cannot be converted back to a route. I beleive the trips are actually stored in files on the Nuvi, and you could copy those to your computer, but I don't think any existing software understands these files.

So you could archive them on your computer, and transfer them to another 2012 Nuvi, but you couldn't edit them or transfer them to a different Garmin device that uses "routes".
  • popej 52 Points
    You can backup and restore trips, but don't count on transfer to other models. I have tried with nuvi 34xx and 2340 and none device can see trips copied form other.
  • sussamb 179 Points
    I'm not even sure/clear whether Basecamp will create a 'route' and then import it to the newer models so it appears as a 'trip' :?
  • Boyd 1317 Points
    With the new models, .gpx files containing routes should be converted to trips. The conversion is done on the device and not by Basecamp.

Thanks popej - trips are an even a bigger "can of worms" than I thought. :?
  • Back when I got my Nuvi 3790 the end of 2010 it was unable to take a trip created in mapsource.

Between upgrades to both or one or the other, it now can.

While I've installed basecamp, I have not tried that yet.
  • Boyd 1317 Points
    Yes, that was an upgrade to the firmware on the 3790 itself. Mapsource has been discontinued and hasn't been updated for a couple years. In the words of one of the Garmin application developers, "The Mapsource train has long passed." :lol:
  • NHWIKI 0 Points
    So, I bit the bullet when my older gps finally crapped out and bought a 3590LMT. To say that the trip planner/route function is a disaster is an understatement, since I like to plan my routes ahead of time. So, I'm trying to understand how this thing actually works, but I can't follow some of the things posted because I think folks are using terms that actually aren't on the GPS's, which is a shame because it seems like the advice here seems quite helpful, and Garmin's directions are some of the worst I've ever seen - they don't explain the most important basic functions of why someone uses a GPS, to get somewhere. I mean, who the heck really wants to use this to show pictures or play music or make a call - let me get to my destintation the way I want easily! (Sigh)

So. Here are my questions -
    1. It's mentioned that when you start the day, you set your route (that's one of the confusing Garmin terms here), you set the day's detination (a hotel) as the destination. Ummmmm. Okay. Does that mean you are simply going to "Where to" and hitting a stored destination - a recently found or a favorite" or are you using the trip planner (which is a total disaster).

2. It's mentioned that you add waypoints or "stops" along the way using "browse maps." The 3590 doesn't have a browse map feature, so here I'm totally lost because I can't figure out how to add a "waypoint." Assuming that someone can help me with what actually happens in step 1 above, how do you add a waypoint on the Garmin Screen to a "route/trip/whatever?"

Did you hit "go" and then add waypoints? Or, did you do this in trip planner? Or when choosing a route? How?
  • NHWIKI 0 Points
    So to go to a destination, I start the gps, then.

1. I hit "Where to"

2. I hit "Saved" and select "Recent"

3. I hit "a Saved place"
    The GPS gives me 3 choices - "Routes," "i" and "Go"

Under Routes, it calculates a totally useless way to go, but there is no obvious way to add any waypoints.

Under "i", it seems like I can only edit destination info - ooo, I can add a picture of the place.

Under go,, I get, ummm, the same useless route that "Route gives me."

. . . How do I add a waypoint/stop or whatever so that I can go the way I want to, and have it stored in this thing so that when I get in my car, I drive the way I want to?
  • popej 52 Points
    Under "Routes" you could get multiple choices of routes, if you care to wait till nuvi calculate all. If none is correct, press "Go", then again "Where to", select intermediate point and when asked, select "add to current route".

Active route/trip won't stop when you turn nuvi off. If you have created multiple point trip, it should be available in applications -> trips. With this menu you can create trips for later use too.
  • t923347 203 Points
    Ok so Trip Planer isn't the most user friendly thing in the world but to say it's a total disaster is an over reaction IMO.

I'm really not sure what your attempting to do but if we assume you want to create a route prior to actually taking your trip, it's really fairly simple using the Trip Planner. You may find this video tutorial from GPSciity.com to be helpful to you:

Note that you can use any of the selection functions available on the Where To screen, when creating a trip. As you'll see in the video, Browse Map is available.

You can always add a waypoint to your trip by pressing the + icon in Trip Planner as you create the trip or using Where To? if you have the trip loaded. When you select Where To and a new waypoint, the Nuvi will ask you if you want to add that point to your route or start a new route to that point. You can also manually move the order of any and all selected stops by pressing and holding the bar listing the point in Trip Planner at the end . Then using your finger, move the point to the desired location in the list. This makes creating your trip easier as you can add waypoints/stops in any order you like and then manually set them in the order you want or use the Optimize Trip function found under the 3Bar icon menu.

Hope this helps you understand the Trip Planner a little better.
  • nuvifan 0 Points
    NHWIKI: It looks to me that you may not realize that ALL steps with Trip Planner are made directly thru that App. Here’s how to get started:

Step 1 is on the Main Menu screen, where you tap on the “Apps” icon (bottom center of screen).

Step 2 on the next screen is to tap on the “Trip Planner” icon (bottom right of screen).

Now you are in Trip Planner, and NOW you can begin the other steps that you previously wrote about trying to use.

Step 3 is to click on the bold, black plus symbol ( + ) at the top left, which brings up a gray window labeled “Select Start Location.” Tap that, and you get the complete range of choices from “Where I Am Now…Saved…Recent…and Browse Map” (at the very bottom of the list). At this point, all of the steps that I previously described in the first post of this discussion thread should be employed, as well as the more recent advice by “popej” and “t923347.”

I hope that I have not demeaned your previous efforts, by describing the above starting steps. I have used Trip Planner dozens of times and have no problem with it, but that has come with much experience (and some initial trial-and-errors). You are welcome to post again here with further questions, and I would be pleased to offer further advice with Trip Planner, especially using the key feature of "Browse Map."

If you find Trip Planner too difficult to use, you should explore the advice offered by “alanb,” which was the 3rd post in this thread: I am sure that if you ask, he or someone else will contribute the necessary advice to successfully use Mapquest on the Nuvi 3590. My guess is that there are actually more persons who use Mapquest (in the manner alanb describes it) than Trip Planner: It is apparently much easier to use.

Also, don't forget that many persons depend on using Garmin's free download software: Basecamp. I'm sure that you can get lots more advice about using that program from other Nuvi users here.
  • NHWIKI 0 Points
    Thanks - both of those replies are helpful. Here's the thing about the trip planner being a disaster- I think most folks buy a GPS because they want to use it to go somewhere, and all the added functionality, pictures, cute car icons, phone, and other things do little to add to the actual purpose of the device, wheras route/trip planning is central to the device. I also think that most folks buy one of these units so that they can go somewhere where they don't know how to get there. One would think that the folks at Garmin would understand that, and concentrate on that core functionality first.

I don't think it's too much to ask that a route created in Mapquest or Googlemaps be easy to load and use in a "premium unit" - to me, that's a basic function. One could easily imagine that at the most basic level, one should be able to create a route in a route planner on a computer, send that route to the GPS, and have the GPS recognize and save that route as it was created. It seems to me like even when I've created a route (trip), every time I call it up the GPS has decided a "better" route for me and then I have to go down the recreating a route bunny hole.

And yes, I have waited for the GPS to calcualte it's routes, but forcing me to go back and edit one of it's routes is a very silly way to approach this when I've already created a better route I would liketo use instead. To me, anyway, it seems like the enginners have focused on feature creep as opposed to the basic functionality of the unit.
  • t923347 203 Points
    You can create all the routes you want in Mapquest and send them to the Nuvi but are the route calculation preferences (faster time vs shortest distance vs less fuel) the same in Mapquest as they are on the Nuvi?. Are the avoidance's set in Mapquest exactly the same as they are on the Nuvi? Do Mapquest and Garmin use maps from the same supplier? If yes, are Mapquest's maps the same version as on your Nuvi? Are you sure that the points you've placed in Mapquest as waypoints, saved as "stops" so that the Nuvi will recognize as waypoints. Even if everything is setup to be identical between Mapquest and the Nuvi, are the algorithms used to calculate the route the same? Any or all of these things can cause a route sent from Mapquest to be recalculated and end up differently once it's transferred to the Nuvi.

One could argue, I suppose, that the Nuvi should act a "dumb" box and simply accept the routing points set to it but that isn't the way they work. Whether your Nuvi has all the bells and whistles or is the least feature enhanced model you can buy, if it accepts routes from another source it's going to recalculate that route using it's brain and not the one used by the outside source.
  • Boyd 1317 Points
    Garmin's Zumo series for motocycles supposedly doesn't recalculate a route after importing (have never used one myself). And their newest handheld devices (Montana, Oregon 450, GPSMap 62) also will not recalculate an imported route. They also have an menu option for what to do if you deviate from the planned route (automatically recalc, ask if you want to recalc, or just ignore).

But Garmin doesn't seem to think users of the Nuvi need this. In fact, they didn't even think Nuvi users wanted to import routes at all. The Nuvi 1695 and 37x0 series were the first models to use the new "trip planner". It was not capable of importing routes at all. Due to complaints, they added this feature later to the Nuvi 37x0 but never updated the 1695. In the meantime the 23x0 series was introduced and it still can't import routes either.

But I suspect the majority of GPS purchasers never attempt to plan a route/trip at all. They just push "where to" and blindly follow wherever the device leads them. Then, when they don't like the results they register here and complain. :lol:
  • NHWIKI 0 Points
    Thanks, yes, I appreciate the difficulties of using different map sources and such, and I understand that the Nuvi might want to recalculate things. But let's use this as an example - there are a couple of ways of getting "through" Boston - I could take 93 right through the city; I could take 128; I could take 495.

Setting up a route (trip) that takes the route I want should not be difficult, and it shouldn't take so many steps. Trip/route planning, one would imagine, is kind of central to a navigation device, and I just wish that the software and hardware folks making these things kept in mind what the primary purpose of the device is. I can set up a route in Mapquest and export it, and I imagine that all the databases have the major routes in them . . .

So I'm forced to make "stops" in Mapquest, as it doesn't allow for waypoints, and a relatively simple task is turned into a real chore.

It just seems that the device makers have lost sight of what their product is about and for - how many people really care about their car icon, or use this for listening to music? The time spent and resources spent on those "features" could easily have been spent instead on making the device's real function straight forward and intuitive.

How about instead using the map in the Nuvi once you've hit "go" to adjust a route (trip) directly? Wouldn't that be a nice thing? No - instead, you have to leave the route, or was it a trip, set up another destination, tell it that it's not really a destination but instead a waypoint, and then reorder things. Oh. But you can't save what you've done because it's an active route but not a "trip," which is an app and not a route . . . But would you like a clown car icon? ? ?

Sigh. I now many folks don't use maps anymore, and so they wander through their GPS created routes, but they have no idea where they are, or where they've been. Fine. But for those of us who want to go a certain way, it shouldn't be this difficult. I appreciate the various folks on numerous forums who've created all their ways of "fooling" the GPS into going where someone really wants to go. But, shouldn't this be straightforward and a central feature of a device that is supposed to get you somewhere?
  • popej 52 Points
    How about instead using the map in the Nuvi once you've hit "go" to adjust a route (trip) directly? Wouldn't that be a nice thing? No - instead, you have to leave the route, or was it a trip, set up another destination, tell it that it's not really a destination but instead a waypoint, and then reorder things. Oh.
    You mean action like set destination with "Go", then browse map, click a street on map and set this point as a VIA? Well, have you tried? It works like that :)
    But you can't save what you've done because it's an active route but not a "trip," which is an app and not a route . . .
    You mean action like create multpiple points route, use apps -> trip planer and save as a trip? Have you tried? :)

I agree with you, that Garmin dumbed down nuvi routes. But your problem is mostly because you are learning to use a new device. Programming trips is the best part of routes in nuvi. But try to use them for navigation, you will find real annoyances.
  • t923347 203 Points
    Trip/route planning, one would imagine, is kind of central to a navigation device,
    IMO, what's central to navigation is getting you from point A to Point B. Trip Planning is really one of those bells and whistles and in fact at one time there were probably more models that didn't provide Trip Planning/Route Creation than there were models that did.
    So I'm forced to make "stops" in Mapquest, as it doesn't allow for waypoints, and a relatively simple task is turned into a real chore.
    You drag the route line in Mapquest to your desired location, right click on the location circle created and select "make it a route stop". A real chore?
  • NHWIKI 0 Points
    [
    You mean action like set destination with "Go", then browse map, click a street on map and set this point as a VIA? Well, have you tried? It works like that :)
    Glad I'm not following your directions :x You, ummmm, left out a bunch of steps. Anyway, I'm too busy loading music and pictures into it.
    But you can't save what you've done because it's an active route but not a "trip," which is an app and not a route . . .

You mean action like create multpiple points route, use apps -> trip planer and save as a trip? Have you tried? :)
    I agree with you, that Garmin dumbed down nuvi routes. But your problem is mostly because you are learning to use a new device. Programming trips is the best part of routes in nuvi. But try to use them for navigation, you will find real annoyances.

Yes - I have tried. :? You make it sound like it's one or two steps . . . It's not. Why don't you actually try to create a route - no, wait, you're terminology is wrong, what you're trying to describe is a trip, which is in apps. So, do you first select the destination, then hit go, then, wait, no, you need a couple more stops, or, is it a point, - were you perhaps trying to explain how to use a route for multiple stops? That's not one step, is it, or even one step for each stop along the way? And then, saving it as a trip, how many steps would that be? :cry:
  • t923347 203 Points
    Now I'm totally confused. :roll: Not unusual. :wink:

Don't you simply start creating a trip by going to Tools - Trip Planner, pressing the + key, adding a point, pressing the + key, adding a point and continue until you have your route.
  • Boyd 1317 Points
    The people on this website are just consumers, like yourself, and they are trying to help you so please try to be nice. Popej is considered by many to be a "guru" when it comes to all things Garmin. His free gmaptool utility program is arguably the most advanced app available for getting "under the hood" with Garmin's maps and we're fortunate to have him around here.

t923347 is a moderator on another very popular Nuvi forum and also a great asset to our community. You are getting some good advice from both of them.

You can tell Garmin support about your frustration with their products here: http://www.garmin.com/us/support/contact
  • NHWIKI 0 Points

You drag the route line in Mapquest to your desired location, right click on the location circle created and select "make it a route stop". A real chore?
    Umm, have you considered that some people live where there is more than one road? And, here's the thing about using Mapquest, and you should be nice to those folks because it's free to us users . . . It's easy enough to create a route stop, but not on a route that it's already selected. And in order for the Garmin to take 128 instead of route 93, I have to put stops in along 128. So, on a route that I didn't "drag," I still have to put in a stop or two (a favorite in Mapquest, I have, ummm, used it before) so that the Garmin knows that that is the road I want to take if I save it as a trip.

For a three or four hundred mile trip where there are multiple ways to go, yes, it's a pain.
  • popej 52 Points
    I'm too busy
    Ok.
    And then, saving it as a trip, how many steps would that be? :cry:
    For me it would be like go to trip planner, select "unsaved trip" and save it with a name.
  • NHWIKI 0 Points
    That, umm, was a joke.(The I'm busy adding songs and pictures) I certainly appreciate folks' help, but for a longer trip (I often drive about 3- 500 miles a day, maybe for a 3 or 4 day trip), the trip planner is a pain, and it was much easier in previous versions of various companies' devices to do this.

The mapquest export/import is fine, except that yes, in order to be sure the garmin follows the mapquest route, you need to put in "Stops" and that can become cumbersome if you aren't dragging the map.
  • alanb 204 Points
    I think most users that are familiar with Garmin's legacy Custom Routes on the older nuvi's have been disappointed and/or displeased with the TripPlanner, either in the user interface or in navigation (or both). So I agree with many of your points NHWIKI. It is the main reason I have held off on upgrading to a new nuvi from my 855.

The good news is that Garmin has improved the Trip Planner over time as they bring out new nuvi models and firmware updates. It seems to me they could make a big improvement just by adding the capability for multiple via points within each trip segment. Maybe someday the Trip Planner will get there. I hope so.

I would like to comment on your remarks about the inconvenience of having to change vias to stops in Mapquest in order for the Garmin to recognize them. I agree this is kind of a pain, but I think it is a flaw in Mapquest, not Garmin. After all, Mapquest is creating the GPX file, and they could certainly generate the correct GPX syntax for Garmin vias if they chose to implement the route transfer in that way.

The same is true about user complaints against Garmin for not importing Google routes ... that is a choice Google has made, so I don't blame Garmin for it. I don't know the underlying politics and business decisions (maybe Garmin charges excessive royalty fees or something), but from a technical standpoint, there is no reason that Google couldn't generate GPX files for transferring routes to a nuvi.
  • Boyd 1317 Points
    The same is true about user complaints against Garmin for not importing Google routes ... that is a choice Google has made, so I don't blame Garmin for it.
    If you want to use Google routes on your Nuvi, I believe TYRE will do that for you: http://www.tyretotravel.com. It was formerly only compatible with TomTom but they have added Garmin compatibility now as well. Have never tried it myself.

I think you might have some issues however, since Google uses their own map data and Garmin uses Navteq, so some roads are bound to be different. I suspect you will also find some differences between whatever version of Navteq maps that Mapquest uses vs. the City Navigator map on your Nuvi. In an ideal world, you would do all your route planning using the exact same map by downloading the update to your computer or connecting your Nuvi and letting basecamp access it.
  • I am finding this thread very helpful because I am going to attempt to create some custom routes and import them to a device that is able to accept them. So what have we decided is the best way to go about this ? Google or Mapquest ?
  • alanb 204 Points
    Google does not support route transfer directly to a Garmin device, Mapquest does. There are some third party plugins/programs that will handle the reformatting of a Google map route into a GPX file suitable for import to a Garmin.

You can use Garmin's own free Basecamp program to create and transfer routes to a nuvi. Microsoft Streets & Trips and Delorme Street Atlas USA also support the route transfer function.
  • Excellent summary sir. Thank you and the rest of the users in this forum for the information.
  • gpz1100 0 Points
    Be aware that routes created with mapsource/basecamp in general don't seem to work properly on the newer units with trip planner function (instead of routes). Each segment separated by shaping points is considered a trip of its own. As each segment is completed, the next is supposed to start automatically. In practice, this has not been my experience (nuvi 3590 and 3790).

Supposedly, the newest units (2xx7/3xx7) have improved upon this, but I've yet to try one.
  • t923347 203 Points
    I haven't tried it on the road yet but in Simulation Mode it appears to work fine on the 3597. When a stop is reached the Nuvi immediately asks if I want to simulate the next route which would in indicate that if I was driving it would have automatically calculated the route to the next stop on the trip.
  • popej 52 Points
    I think problem with trips is that you have to reach destination within a certain accuracy. If points aren't set precisely on road, map is not accurate or GPS exhibits positional deviation, then all functionality breaks down. It is a design error. And you won't notice it in simulations, since there is no positional error in that case.

With classic routes GPS processes whole route and is able to determine, that it remains on route even if a VIA has been omitted.