This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Nuvi 50LM vs 2450LM (or 1450LMT for that matter)

I've read the charts and see the differences...
50LM / 2450LM
Routes: 0 / 100
MyTrends: NO / YES
ecoRoute: NO / YES

My question to you guys is do any of the differences between the 2450LM and 50LM matter?

Also, if someone wants to answer this: I was ALSO considering the 1450LMT, but 1) Is the traffic on the 1450LMT worth it? (I live in Los Angeles, so it should have signal) and 2) Would the 1450LMT be slower (maybe less CPU)??

Thanks for the guidance.

Comments

• sussamb 765 Points
    That's gonna depend on who you ask :wink:

To me myTrends and Ecoroute aren't things I want/need, but then 'routes' are so from the two I'd choose the 2450LM, but ... and to me it's a big BUT ...

The latest nuvis handle 'routes' differently to the 14xx series, and I have one of those. They use somthing that Garmin call a 'trip planner' and this creates various problems that don't suit the way I use my GPS, so I'd buy the 1450 over the other two anytime :)

Whether it's 'slower' than the newer nuvis I can't say, but it's certainly fast enough for me, and in UK the traffic works real well.
  • Mytrends is pretty useless in it's current implementation. It doesn't actually use anything that it learns when you say: go to this waypoint. Eco-route is also of no consequence.

But I would never get a GPS that didn't allow me to create a multiple via route (trip) and save it for later use.
  • popej 57 Points
    to create a multiple via route (trip) and save it for later use.
    This actually works pretty well on new nuvis. What Garmin failed to implement is a comfortable navigating with multiple via route.
  • to create a multiple via route (trip) and save it for later use.

This actually works pretty well on new nuvis. What Garmin failed to implement is a comfortable navigating with multiple via route.
    Ya I have no complaints about the process to make a route (trip). My main complaint is the segment to segment implementation.
  • Boyd 1954 Points
    I haven't used a Nuvi 50, but a few things stand out in Rich's review over at GPSTracklog.com. It has no compatibility with any traffic receivers, so you couldn't even purchase a separate one if you wanted it later.

Another oddity is that you cannot clear the trip log. All of the Nuvi's are constantly recording your track, which can't be disabled. But you can clear it out using a menu command. Evidently this option is missing on the Nuvi 30/40/50. Maybe a trivial point, but it raises some privacy issues.

Another subtlety is that the standard Nuvi 50 and Nuvi 50LM only contain maps for the US "lower 49" states. There is a separate version with full US and Canada mapping, but you will probably need to look at the SKU to determine which you are getting. The 1450 and 2450 have the North America maps.

See the "versions" tab here:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=401&pID=100840

nüvi 50LM, lower 48 states 010-00991-21 $ 169.99 USD

nüvi 50LM, U.S. and Canada 010-00991-20 $ 179.99 USD
  • t923347 414 Points
    I have never used a 50 either but I wonder about clearing out the Trip Log. On my current Nuvi's if I attach the device to the computer, open Basecamp, and Import the Current.gpx file from the Nuvi into the software I can see all the latest Trip Log files listed.

I haven't done this but it would seem that that would allow me to delete the trip logs there and then Export the altered file back to the Nuvi. Of course if there is also an Archive folder on the Nuvi with old trip logs in it, one can easily delete those directly from the Nuvi through Windows Explorer or what ever the function is called on a MAC. I've done that many times.
  • sussamb 765 Points
    I've not seen such a file on my 1490, I suspect it's in inaccessible memory somewhere ... but I've been wrong before :oops:

current.gpx is of course only a one way copy of what's in the internal memory somewhere :wink:
  • Thanks for all the replies! I've been assuming that the traffic option wasn't important and would take it for free, but I am wondering if the traffic on the 1490LMT is of any value?
    I read that the 50lm doesn't have "trip planner" does that change anything above? It seems like I get more gps out of the 1490LMT for my money because it's a discontinued model, but I am wondering if the additional features are worth getting an older model. I am especially wondering about CPU speed because I hate sluggish gps!
  • sussamb 765 Points
    As I posted it works fine for me, and I reckon I'm pretty demanding. Even in some French towns where roads seem to go everywhere it had no trouble keeping up.

If you can though why not get to a store where you can compare the models you're interested in?

Note that any nuvi that lists 'routes' as 0 will not have a trip or route planner.
  • Looking at the specs, it appears that the 50 can not save a route. It will take you from where you are to a place you tell it to but you can't set it up before hand and save it and it does not let you modify the route with vias to take you the way there that you want to go.

I would never get such a device but I care about pre-planning my routes. Some people don't care.

One thing that I always do before buying any piece of electronics is to download and study the user manual from the manufacturer website. That's one good way to check if a unit will do what I want.
  • sussamb 765 Points
    Be careful with that approach though. Many of the Garmin manuals cover more than one model, so not all of the manual will apply to some of the models :wink:
  • Be careful with that approach though. Many of the Garmin manuals cover more than one model, so not all of the manual will apply to some of the models :wink:
    And much of the manual is not detailed enough to actually describe what the unit does. But it's a start.
  • Boyd 1954 Points
    I haven't done this but it would seem that that would allow me to delete the trip logs there and then Export the altered file back to the Nuvi.
    Sorry, it doesn't work like that. The active log (the one that is displayed on the screen) is stored in protected memory and there is no way to access that. Any .gpx files you see on your computer are just copies of the internal data.

As noted in Rich's review, you can do a hard reset to clear the trip log. That will be a pain however, since it resets all the menus to their defaults and removes your favorites.
  • sussamb 765 Points
    Thanks for that Boyd, confirms what I posted :)
  • class3 52 Points
    I've been testing the 2450LM and 1450LMT.

In my opinion, of the three, I would go with the 2450LM.

- With the 2450LM, you at least have the option of adding a $35 traffic receiver. The 50LM can't take one. The 1450LMT, has one included but that unit has some downsides.

- The 2450LM has the slightly newer interface (2011 version, not 2012 version). You can correct or add speed limits on this unit.

- The 2450LM comes with a powered mount and the mount has a release button.

- The 1450LMT has the nice routing feature, but that's all it really has going for it. It's slower than the 2450LM in POI searches and browsing the map, which is kinda painful. The interface is the old style and the map has thick, cartoony roads. However, the 1450LMT has the greyed out traffic map that's pretty helpful.

- The 2450LM is a dark color with a light trim, while the 1450LMT is a silver color. I think the 2450LM looks nicer.

- Boot up times and satellite fix times between the 2450LM and 1450LMT are comparable. It takes less than 20 seconds to get to the warning screen, if I recall.
  • Boyd 1954 Points
    Good report class3! I am adding this thread to our sticky on different Nuvi models since it may help others.
  • sussamb 765 Points
    Note that there are some differences between the UK (EU?) and US 14xx series.

They are not a silver colour, but black.

The traffic receiver I've found to be excellent, but then I believe coverage in the UK is far greater than in the US, simply because we have less space to play with :)

The UK map doesn't appear 'clunky' :wink:
  • Well, I've really been mowing over this decision. I think I've decided on the 1450LMT for the following reasons:

1. The GPS that I want (uses my cell phone wifi to get live data for free, etc) doesn't exist yet, so I should minimize my investment on a gap filler solution. This is because my current Nuvi 660 has outdated maps and for the $$ I'll just replace it

2. I watched several web videos of the 1450LMT and it's response time seems much better than my Nuvi 660 (although not as speedy as my old Mio). It seemed the framerate (FPS) was as good (maybe even better) than the 50LM.

3. Since I'm only looking for stop gap solution I really want to stick to as close to $100 (and far away from $200) as I can. The 1450LMT can be had for $129. The "cool" ones (2450 or 2555LMT) cost too much and still don't have all the magical things I want. I REALLY liked the "dashboard" configurations in the 2555LMT, but, again, it's costing me $100 extra.

4. I'd like to try the Lifetime Traffic thingy and see if it works during this stop gap phase. I know it doesn't have the 3D or Live traffic, but, hey, lets see what I get

That's about it. Thanks for all the replies. I hope to order in the next few days while I stew over what I've just said!
  • Boyd 1954 Points
    The GPS that I want (uses my cell phone wifi to get live data for free, etc) doesn't exist yet
    Just curious as to why you think wifi would be better than bluetooth? Both are simply wireless data transfer mediums.
  • The GPS that I want (uses my cell phone wifi to get live data for free, etc) doesn't exist yet

Just curious as to why you think wifi would be better than bluetooth? Both are simply wireless data transfer mediums.
    Yes, I'm fine for either. I know there are some advanced Garmins that do this via bluetooth, but they seems to be on the "bleeding edge" doing it and they also don't have all the functionality for free (ie the traffic was extra $$). If I pay for the bandwidth and connection (like google maps), I don't want to pay Garmin monthly!