This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

How to turn off hill shading on Nuvi 1490.

I have a 16 GB card in my 1490. That card has a Map folder and a Garmin folder.
The Garmin folder has a gmapsupp.img of transparent topos. The Map folder contains a routable non-transparent topo with a custom TYP file. All maps and CNNA can be enabled or disabled in the Info screen. When
CNNA and the transparent topo are enabled my screen looks like this:
But when I enable my nontransparent topo in the map folder and disable the others my screen looks like this:
It appears that what I'm seeing is hill shading, not a distorted version of my TYP file. Is there any way to disable it? I didn't see anything about it in the Nuvi Manual.

I should add that the Bad Nuvi screen closely resembles the Good Nuvi screen on my handhelds, and in BaseCamp/MapSource. It also reads correctly when it's placed in the Garmin folder on the Nuvi, but that folder only seems to take a single gmapsupp.img. Renamed IMG files don't show.

Comments

• Boyd 2009 Points
    Your unit's basemap (gmapbmap.img) contains DEM data, and I think that's what you're seeing. It can't be disabled in the menus, but there are a few options.

First, you could just remove the file and backup on your computer. I think the Nuvi will still work fine without it. Second, you can use gmaptool to remove the DEM from the basemap (again, back it up first).

Finally, there are other basemaps out there. A number of years ago people were downloading an update to the iQue (IIRC), and when you unzipped there was a worldwide basemap. I don't know if you can still find this - do some searches for gree garmin worldwide basemap if you're interested.
  • Seldom 0 Points
    Thanks, Boyd. IIRC you posted something about gmapbmap's draw priority. If it's high, that could be my problem. Do you recall what it was? Also, I haven't been specifying a draw priority, meaning that I'm getting DrawPriority=25. If I want to change that to 30, do I need to put that in EVERY map tile header, or can I just get away with putting it in my cpreview text?
  • Boyd 2009 Points
    I have never seen the basemap draw on top of another map. But the DEM will be applied to any other map that is active. However, normally it doesn't appear until you zoom way out on the Nuvi, like 25 miles.
  • popej 57 Points
    If you remove basemap, then nuvi in revenge will grab one of your detailed maps and disable turning it off in maps menu ;)

Generally removing basemap is not a good idea. Better try for example one of iQue basemaps:
    http://www8.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=010-00264-00
  • Seldom 0 Points
    If you remove basemap, then nuvi in revenge will grab one of your detailed maps and disable turning it off in maps menu ;)
    Sounds like "American Jill" (the nag) is the expression of Nuvi's true character, but good to know, popej. Thanks.
  • Boyd 2009 Points
    Thanks Popej for clarifying, and thanks for the link to the basemap. Wasn't sure if it was still there since Garmin has purged so much old stuff from their site.
  • sussamb 829 Points
    I have never seen the basemap draw on top of another map. But the DEM will be applied to any other map that is active. However, normally it doesn't appear until you zoom way out on the Nuvi, like 25 miles.
    Unfortunately I have and I wish it wouldn't, but can't find a way to switch it off. It shows on top of a topo map I loaded to my nuvi from www.talkytoaster.info :?
  • Seldom 0 Points

Unfortunately I have and I wish it wouldn't, but can't find a way to switch it off. It shows on top of a topo map I loaded to my nuvi from www.talkytoaster.info :?
    Interesting, my map is a topo that combines OSM routing data with cgpsmapper contours.

I'm about to give up on using my map. The DEM didn't show up the first time I loaded it, but now its unavoidable. Appears in both the Garmin and Map folders (on the card), and appears when I have set the DrawPriority on the map to 30.

My transparent map overlays nicely on CNNA 2012.4, but it doesn't let me have the routable trails and tracks I've got on my own map. Of course, my map works fine on the handheld, which is what I need when hiking.
  • Seldom 0 Points
    Follow up on DrawPriority. When I sent a mapset where tiles had different DrawPriorities (one set at 30, the remainder set at 25) the DEM overrode the tile that had a DrawPriority of 30. When I sent that tile alone, it stays opaque on top of the DEM. Guess I'll have to re-compile the whole mapset to DrawPriority 30.

Sussamb, it might be worth asking TalkyToaster what his drawpriority is.
  • sussamb 829 Points
    Thanks, will do :)
  • Seldom 0 Points
    One more follow up on DrawPriority. I added 14 more adjacent tiles at DrawPriority=30, and they all show correctly on my 1490. If I zoom out far enough (about 5 degrees wide at 38 degrees lat) the DEM background map takes over. When I hit the back arrow, to restore my original view the screen is bland for maybe 10 seconds, but then it draws my map correctly. Now I've just got to edit the remaining 45 tiles to get the DrawPriority set right for them. :cry:
  • Seldom 0 Points
    Final follow up:
    I loaded a single tile at DrawPriority=25 and it showed correctly, so it wasn't the draw priority that was the problem, but something else about the entire mapset.

In re-creating the mapset, I did find I had 3 or 4 tiles with multiple dictionaries that may have been causing the problem.
  • Seldom 0 Points
    It seems that the problem occurs when:
    1) I send a map to the GPSr using MapSource.
    2) I select the entire mapset from the first selection screen in MapInstall.

It doesn't occur when I select ALL the tiles together from the tile selector screen in MapInstall. I would have thought this was the same selecting the entire mapset, but it works differently.
  • Seldom 0 Points
    Using MapInstall 4.0.1 I get the Bad Nuvi screen using both means of installing. :cry: