This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

crossover questions

macgadget 0 Points
edited November -1 in GPS Recommendations
Hi forum,
I have very little GPS knowledge! I was planning to purchase a unit for hiking/snowshoing in oregon ..I spent a while at REI checking out the garmin 60sx unit. Now as I read a little more I have been thinking on road use would be cool too... my questions are... what units can do on and off road use? Has anyone used the magellan crossover for hiking etc? could the 60sx do on road reasonably? I would like to stay under about $650 for the total package....thanks in advance!

Comments

• Tim 1480 Points
    You can add auto/road maps to the 60CSx. But you would be missing some of the advanced features that auto GPS devices have.

The Magellan Crossover GPS seems like a good idea, but from what I've seen so far (full review coming in a couple of weeks) the topo maps are of poor quality and lag significant detail.

My best advice.... buy two GPS devices. Grab the 60CSx and then grab an inexpensive GPS for auto navigation that you can leave in the car. Perhaps something like the StreetPilot c330.

I've seen the 60CSx as low as $350 and the c330 as low as $300 which would just about make your $650 target and give you a device which is designed for each purpose.

So far I'm not a big fan of any of these "hybrid" type devices I've seen. Yet another option is to look at one of the Garmin Nuvi devices. They are supposedly adding an option to be able to install topo maps on the Nuvi in the near future.
  • Thanks for the info! Im in no hurry...sounds like I can wait a couple months to see what develops...
  • One more question...would the nuvi have the same "back woods" performance as the 60CSx?
  • Tim 1480 Points
    I'm not sure what you mean by "performance". It will use the Garmin topo maps so the map quality should be good. It has the same chipset so the reception should be equally good. However it won't have the same interface and features as they 60CSx, some of which might be handy to have "back woods". That is why I've been recommending to people to purchase two devices when possible.... get the best of both worlds and more importantly the right tool for the job.
  • By backwoods performance I was referring to ability (and speed) to aquire satelites in an outdoor (wooded) location- I thought there might be an antenna difference...
    thanks again...
  • Tim 1480 Points
    Shouldn't be any difference. The Nuvi and the 60CSx use the same GPS chipset.