This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Trimble buys Sketchup from Google

Boyd 2002 Points
edited November -1 in GPS Discussions
Wow, this is a surprise. Will be interesting to see how they integrate this into their GIS solutions.

http://ww2.trimble.com/3d/
On April 26, 2012, Trimble announced it has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire SketchUp® from Google. SketchUp is one of the most popular 3D modeling tools in the world. As part of the SketchUp platform, Trimble will also partner with Google on running and developing SketchUp's 3D Warehouse, an online repository where users can find, share, store and collaborate on 3D models.

Comments

• Seldom 0 Points
    Unless they are pretty big buildings, it's not obvious that they have much GIS significance, junction view maybe? Sounds to me like Trimble is trying to branch out into something else. Maybe a bite out of AutoDesk.
  • Boyd 2002 Points
    I don't know about that. I get a freebie ESRI magazine in the mail - pretty much one big ad for their products, but sometimes there are interesting applications and nice screenshots.

And there are a lot of urban planning applications with photorealistic 3d buildings and other features in them. There have been stories about mapping tree locations and types for utility companies for example. Hurricane Irene may have sparked more interest in this. Trimble may want to compete with ESRI's Arc products instead of AutoDesk.
  • Seldom 0 Points
    We're headed in the same direction. I never thought of ESRI as an urban planning tool at the scale of site design, but then again where I worked we did our site design with AutoCad's Terramodel product. (And a little Global Mapper when we were looking at radio tower viewsheds.)