This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Any way to reverse tracback on an Etrex30?

The manual doesn't even list Tracback, but I found it under the "Review Track option. I'd like to have the option to select either end of the track to go to, but I can't find an option that lets me select that. As it is, it tries to run me back up the track even if I'm half way to my goal.

Comments

• sussamb 814 Points
    Sorry, missing what you're after here ... trackback is exactly that. It allows you to record where you've been and then return along that track should you wish to.

Alternatively if you have already loaded a track then you can simply follow it to either end?

:? :? :?
  • Boyd 1987 Points
    Does the eTrex support advanced track navigation? If so, there should be an option in the track manager to create a reversed copy of the track.
  • sussamb 814 Points
    This is why I'm confused. Seldom either has a track pre-loaded, in which case he needs to use 'Track manager' and not trackback. Trackback is only useful to return you along a track that you've just made.

Probably wasn't clear enough in my answer (other things on my mind :evil: )
  • Seldom 0 Points
    I was near, but not exactly at the end of an in and out hike, and I wanted to use what I recalled as TracBack to set the other end of the track as my destination, then use the trip computer to calculate my distance to destination. Problem was that I had wandered around for 5 minutes at the halfway point and TracBack was trying to walk me to the startpoint and then through the spiderweb of my 5 minute wandering. I was hoping to avoid wandering through the spiderweb.

This morning I do see that the track manager permits creating a reverse copy of the track.
  • sussamb 814 Points
    Yes, trackback will take you through your 'spiderweb' unfortunately :wink:
  • Seldom 0 Points
    Would have been handy for Theseus (right mythological character?) working his way out of Minos' maze.

Thanks, sussamb.
  • Boyd 1987 Points
    Even if Theseus had an eTrex, he would have had a hard time locking onto any satellites. :twisted:
  • Seldom 0 Points
    You're right, he was underground, so signal reception would have been poor. He probably had to resort to lower tech fixes, either string, or breadcrumbs. I'm pretty sure he was part of Garmin's early development team.
  • Seldom 0 Points
    As part of Garmin's early development team, Theseus probably new that if he had a clear view of the sky he could go to the Track Manager>select the track he wanted to backtrack on>copy reversed>go to Where To>and select the reversed track. That way if he was say halfway out of the labyrinth he could continue on out to his goal without having to repeat the entire track, including going past that dead Minotaur body.
  • dhn 336 Points
    Thread cleanup done .... :lol:

Back to the topic, guys.
  • Boyd 1987 Points
    Really... thanks for deleting those posts so that we can return to our on-topic discussion of Minotaurs. :lol:
  • milan 0 Points
    I was near, but not exactly at the end of an in and out hike, and I wanted to use what I recalled as TracBack to set the other end of the track as my destination, then use the trip computer to calculate my distance to destination. Problem was that I had wandered around for 5 minutes at the halfway point and TracBack was trying to walk me to the startpoint and then through the spiderweb of my 5 minute wandering. I was hoping to avoid wandering through the spiderweb.

This morning I do see that the track manager permits creating a reverse copy of the track.
    I tried it with the reverse track, but it did not work as expected. I took a shortcut from the end of the track, then got back right on the track. But it didn't recognize that I was on the right track and kept trying to take me back to the beginning (start of the navigation back) throughout my return.

Any suggestions?
  • Seldom 0 Points
    If you were trying to go back to your original start, reversing the track worked for me. If you were trying to go back to the end of the track, TracBack should work without reversing.
  • BrianLargo 0 Points
    edited June 2014
    Tracback is very easy but could be a lifesaver. On the Etrex 10 and presumably the 20 and 30 the function is not documented in the manual. Its function seems to be misunderstood often. It is a means of getting you back to the start of your hike if your are a bit lost for any reason including, of course, bad weather. People seem to think you need to follow some spidery lines on the map page. Not so, use the compass page and you'll be pointed "all the way home" At the start of your hike it's best to clear as much memory as is needed to record your journey. At the start it only takes seconds to set up the Etrex so that Tracback will be optimised if you ever need it on that walk. You can still use routes and waypoints and any other function throughout the walk. The track log for TracBack just works away unseen in the background with no inputs necessary from you.

Here's the procedure
    1. At the start, if you wish, mark the waypoint. Not necessary but reduces the paranoia!
    2. Go into Trip Computer screen and press menu button.
    3. Select "Reset" then "Clear Current Track" "Yes" then "Reset Trip Data" "Yes"
    4. Press "Back" twice to take you back to main screen and head off on your walk.
    5. When you want to come back the way you came in select "Where To" then "Tracks" then "Current Track" then "TracBack"
    6. Use Back button to go back to main screen then select Compass page.
    7. You'll now be guided back to the start by following the BIG THICK triangular arrow. You'll even get an ETA and distance.
    8. At 5 above you can save the track for use later with Google Earth or whatever but remember to select "Current Track" not the saved one for TracBack