This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

City Navigator 2013.10 Release

It appears that City Navigator Europe 2013.10 was released earlier today, at least the Map Viewer on the Garmin Website now shows it in place of 2012.40. I'm sure Popej will know for sure. :D

I understand that City Navigator 2013.10 North America has been loaded on the Garmin servers so it should be available later this week or early next.

Comments

• sussamb 813 Points
    Yep, EU 2013.10 showing as available for download to my nuvis :)
  • jonnop 101 Points
    My Dashboard told me of this availabity and said to use Lifetime Installer. Lifetime Installer told me there were no updates available. :?
  • t923347 432 Points
    Then don't use Lifetime Installer. Use the Option 2 which has always appeared below the Lifetime Installer option (unless they have changed it for this map update).
  • jonnop 101 Points
    I had worked that out for myself.

It does seem rather silly of Garmin to have two items - My Dashboard and Lifetime Installer - not working in sync with each other.
  • Zemartelo 207 Points
    Excelent... Garmin is early with this release... I was expecting only in a couple weeks.
    Hopefully new roads will be on it.
  • Zemartelo 207 Points
    is the North America out yet?
    Im at work and I cant check...
  • t923347 432 Points
    Nope, probably next week now since Garmin's support isn't open on the weekends and I can't believe they'd release a map update with no support staff on duty, but who knows. :roll:
  • jdgwinnell 91 Points
    I'm pleased to have the 3D buildings back (I often go to Ely Cathedral, which has a spectacular image on the map) - but there's a weird new phenomenon when navigating a route - counting down to a junction turn-off, the distance changes from 0.1 miles to a countdown in steps of 10 in some unspecified unit: 150, 120, 130 etc. Yards, perhaps? Have Garmin finally realised that's what we use in the UK, not the US default of feet?

All this is definitely since I updated the map a couple of days ago, and not related to a firmware update as far as I can tell.
  • Zemartelo 207 Points
    ah, it looks like the NA maps are finally out... cant wait to get home and download it.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    "The new phonebook is here! The new phonebook is here!" :lol:

• cuc tu 91 Points
    LOL
  • t923347 432 Points
    ah, it looks like the NA maps are finally out... cant wait to get home and download it.
    No release as of 3:19 EDT today, so no need to hurry home. :wink:
  • Zemartelo 207 Points
    weird, I read on another topic that someone got the new maps available for download. Perhaps Garmin is releasing it slowly?
  • t923347 432 Points
    Maybe, but it was more likely the Europe version which has been out for a week or so now.
  • comsnark 0 Points
    Too scared to do the update right now. . . . everytime I do this, it turns into some sort of fiasco, and one or two calls to tech support!

Of course, I am going to do the updates. . .but I need to start a round of meds and stabilize for a few weeks before starting. . . . .
  • sviking 141 Points
    Strange that they're late on this one. 2012.40 shows Jan 12, so they're just about a month late.
  • willyboy 68 Points
    Strange that they're late on this one. 2012.40 shows Jan 12, so they're just about a month late.
    Really not late 2012.40 released on Feb 7, 2012.

http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/17527/x/p1/

Bookmark the page for future reference so you have an idea when the next release will be.
  • sviking 141 Points

Really not late 2012.40 released on Feb 7, 2012.

http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/17527/x/p1/

Bookmark the page for future reference so you have an idea when the next release will be.
    Shows Jan 12 on my myGarmin account... Funny thing is my account indicates that I've not done the update. I updated all three of my lifetime subscription units. :lol:
  • alanb 539 Points
    I think the Jan 12 you are seeing is Jan 2012. The newest map 2013.10 shows Apr 12, even though it just came out today.
  • sviking 141 Points
    I think the Jan 12 you are seeing is Jan 2012. The newest map 2013.10 shows Apr 12, even though it just came out today.
    Ah, I see. Is it really out now? I checked earlier and didn't see it.
  • willyboy 68 Points
    Yes 2013.10 is out and available. I downloaded earlier today and it's installed on my Nuvi.
  • sviking 141 Points
    Yes 2013.10 is out and available. I downloaded earlier today and it's installed on my Nuvi.
    Thanks. I see it now. I just had to click the update button to get things started and see that it wasn't just offering me 2012.40 again. Updating my old POS StreetPilot 2720 now and then I'll move on to the 660 and 3790T. :P
  • willyboy 68 Points
    Have fun with the street pilot and the 660, should be done by tomorrow morning. The 3790 should be about an hours wait, now that's progress. :lol:
  • sviking 141 Points
    Have fun with the street pilot and the 660, should be done by tomorrow morning. The 3790 should be about an hours wait, now that's progress. :lol:
    Nah, they don't take that long. I can do all three in an afternoon. Well, maybe into the early evening, too. :lol:

On another note, I'm surprised I was offered the update for the way old 2720 right away. The last few updates weren't offered for that unit until about a week or so later. The 660 and 3790T were always able to update right away. In fact, the first time it happened with the 2720, I thought the unit was no longer supported, despite my lifetime subscription.
  • navomatic 86 Points
    All set on a 1390 and 2460. My test restaurants finally showed movement: one now shows the "new" address of 10 years ago, first reported in 2009, but still shows the old address a few blocks away as well. The other one still shows it on the wrong street just around the corner, but within 75 yards. The address is correct, just doesn't display correctly. Drove me NUTS first time I went there. Finally had to call to see where they were. At least the phone number was correct. These are map problems though, probably not Garmin's fault.
  • t923347 432 Points
    2013.10 has a large increase in speed limit data for Canada. See http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/comment/172924/#172924 for details of some tests I've done.
  • t923347 432 Points
    edited May 2012
    I think this is something new with 2013.10. In both Basecamp and Mapsource highways now show mile markers and, in some places, exits are numbered. Don't think they appear on the maps installed on the GPS but for anyone that needs mile marker or exit data, this is a welcome addition that may finds it's way to the map display on the Nuvi someday (hopefully as an option :wink: ).
  • werewolf 107 Points
    Why 2013? 2012 is still young.
  • sviking 141 Points
    Why not? Somehow, someway, we all paid for our lifetime map updates. Either through the purchase of a new unit or add on subscriptions...
  • Supersnake 82 Points
    Too scared to do the update right now. . . . everytime I do this, it turns into some sort of fiasco, and one or two calls to tech support!

Of course, I am going to do the updates. . .but I need to start a round of meds and stabilize for a few weeks before starting. . . . .
    :D I too can identify with that.
  • werewolf 107 Points
    The worst part of the update thing is when it goes on for 6 1/2 hours and then says it's been aborted. I hope it doesn't do that again.
  • Does Garmin make some minor software tweaks with their map updates? I ask because the routing calculations are much snappier on my 3490 than before the fact. Maybe it's just me, but the GPS is calculating destinations more than 300 miles away on a dime. The system seems to be a bit more stable, as well.

And if there are exit numbers displayed on the Basecamp and Mapsource systems, that is a welcome addition. For the time being, I still have to drive around to see if Garmin recognized the recent flurry of speed limit changes, especially on I-94 from Portage, IN, to Michigan (the beginning of the 70 mph speed zone moved west about 10 miles in 2010) and the Indiana Toll Road (which, except for a small section from Lake Station to just east of the Portage toll gate, is all 70 from Illinois to Ohio).
  • Seldom 0 Points
    My lifetime updater was set to install maps to my 1490LMT and to my computer. 2013.10 got to my 1490, but not to BaseCamp. How do I get it both places?

Never mind. I found the download folder on my Desktop, and moved it to c:\users\all users\garmin\maps. Curious, though, that the lifetime updater didn't know to put it there in the first place.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Maybe it's just me, but the GPS is calculating destinations more than 300 miles away on a dime.
    Turning off trafficTrends could cause that.
  • Zemartelo 207 Points
    Got it.
    It has been installed.
    There are actually new roads on this version which surprised me because I checked the Navteq website and those roads are not showing up.
    Which makes me to believe that Garmin is compiling their own map from different sources.
    Anyone knows anything about this?
  • Tim 1480 Points
    It is possible that the Navteq site doesn't' reflect their most recent data. It is also possible that they (either Garmin or Navteq) is using a blend of data in some areas outside of the USA. If there is any other data being used you might be able to dig it up in the device credits/copyrights.

For example I've seen data from DMTI Spatial (a Canadian company) show up in GPS devices from time to time.
  • Is Garmin supposed to email/notify us when new updates are available?

Or is it "all on the user" to check up on it themselves?
  • t923347 432 Points
    You can certainly sign up to have Garmin notify you but if history is any indication you'll probably find out here long before you get anything from Garmin. :wink:
  • OK, thanks.
  • cuc tu 91 Points

Why not? Somehow, someway, we all paid for our lifetime map updates. Either through the purchase of a new unit or add on subscriptions...
    Maybe the point was, why is the map called 2013.1 when it should be called 2012.2?
  • popej 57 Points
    Why should it be called 2012.2 if map contains data form Navteq signed as Q4/2011? :)
  • werewolf 107 Points
    Maybe the point was, why is the map called 2013.1 when it should be called 2012.2?

Exactly.