Full charge notification in Nuvi 2595LMT?

When I 1st got this GPS, I thought I noticed the battery icon going from gray to green after it was fully charged via a USB connection to a PC. But I must have been thinking of some other device. As far as I can see, there is no kind of alert on this Nuvi 2595LMT that lets you know when its battery is fully charged.

Is that right?

I read where the battery has a chip in it that monitors charge, and prevents it from being overcharged. But when charging off a PC or Notebook, it would be nice to have something tell me when the unit's battery has becomre fully charged.

Thanks

Comments

• sussamb 220 Points
    Afraid that's correct, you get no indication of the battery being fully charged :cry:
  • t923347 208 Points
    edited May 2012
    There is one way to check the charge if you have the Nuvi connected to your car or wall charger:

- Press the battery strength icon in the upper right corner of the main menu screen for 5 - 10 seconds and a diagnostic screen should open. About half way down the left hand column of data you will see a heading called Battery and beside that will be a status reading. If the battery isn't fully charged the status will say CHARGING and when the battery is fully charged it will say CHRG DONE.

Not the best of solutions but it's the only way I know to actually see a message from the Nuvi to indicate a full charge. :(

Also if you run this test while simply running the Nuvi on battery the Battery item will read OK Cap as long as there is enough charge to power the unit. Don't know if it changes as the battery drains but I suspect it does.

There is a butch of other data there and on other screen but I'm not sure you want to mess with these unless you know what the result of making changes is going to do to your Nuvi.
  • sussamb 220 Points
    Nice ... hadn't thought of that :)
  • t923347 208 Points
    Yea, that's what were here for, to help each other. :wink:
  • t923347 208 Points
    I just noticed that if I take my 3790 off of the wall charger while in the diagnostic mode, detailed above, and plug in the USB cable, the unit will stay in the diagnostic mode and the Battery reading now cycles between DPPM REG and CHARGING. It then changes to CHRG DONE when the unit is fully charged.

So it's possible to see a fully charged status in both USB and normal powered modes but you have to go into those diagnostic screens. That means that if you power up the Nuvi, then go into the special screens, and then attach the Unit to your PC using the USB cable you will be able to see a fully charged status in USB mode. Not the most ideal solution but one that will work.
  • Boyd 1332 Points
    But really.... does it matter? I can't think of ever really wanting to know when my battery was fully charged. Most of the time it is running on external power anyway.

If you run the unit on battery power, the battery icon shows the amount of charge... doesn't it?
  • t923347 208 Points
    Yes, but how accurate the battery icon is is anybody's guess. Garmin used to even give instructions in the manuals about how to make it "more' accurate.

Personally it's no big deal as, like you, I'm running on external power about 99.99% of the time anyway. :)
  • Boyd 1332 Points
    Truth to be told, it really isn't an issue for me because I use my Montana for everything now. If I'm curious about the battery, I just tap the power button and get a screen that shows both a graphic and numeric charge indicator. :D
  • TakuSkan 0 Points
    About half way down the left hand column of data you will see a heading called Battery and beside that will be a status reading. If the battery isn't fully charged the status will say CHARGING and when the battery is fully charged it will say CHRG DONE.
    While replying I just discovered where my 2595LMT does actually notify you about the charging status.

A while back I found I could run this Nuvi on USB power while working on it by entering that particular diagnostic mode (there are at least 2) while on battery power, then… as you discovered, plugging in the USB cable that's connected to some power source. But to be able to operate the unit, you press and hold the power button for about 5 seconds. The GPS then powers down into a charging state and displays this message for a few seconds:

• "Charging the battery. Press the Power key to turn on."

At that point you can press the power 'key' for 5 seconds and the GPS will power up to a fully operational mode, and you'll see a lightning bolt on the battery status icon indicating it's being charged. The power key will then just switch between charging and operational states. Pulling the USB cable in the charge mode, powering up again, and powering down again shuts it completely down. The computer never detects it as a USB device in that mode, so there's no need to eject it before pulling the cable.

But that was the point where I saw a "Battery fully charged" message, or something similar flash by the other night when I finished doing some work. I'm guessing you'll see that under normal conditions while it's working in a car.
    I just noticed that if I take my 3790 off of the wall charger while in the diagnostic mode, detailed above, and plug in the USB cable, the unit will stay in the diagnostic mode and the Battery reading now cycles between DPPM REG and CHARGING. It then changes to CHRG DONE when the unit is fully charged.
    Interesting… I just checked that with my 2595 on battery power and that "Battery" field read OK CAP. After I plugged the USB cable in, it cycled between DPPM REG and CHARGING as you pointed out.
    But really.... does it matter? I can't think of ever really wanting to know when my battery was fully charged. Most of the time it is running on external power anyway.
    It doesn't matter as long as you're constantly running a GPS on 12v auto power. But it you use it as a handheld device on its internal battery very much, it's important that you cycle it between a fully charged state and a reasonable state of discharge properly. If you charge to 80%, discharge to 20% charge to 65%, discharge to 45% etc., the battery won't last as long as it would if you wait until it's fairly drained, and then charge it up to full capacity.
    Also if you run this test while simply running the Nuvi on battery the Battery item will read OK Cap as long as there is enough charge to power the unit. Don't know if it changes as the battery drains but I suspect it does.
    That's what I'm thinking. Running a quick test just now with my 2595 powered by its internal battery, I can see the "Batt Capacity" field drop from 100 to 99 and then 98 while the "Battery" field kept reading OK CAP. So it does look that field is indicating the battery has enough charge to keep the GPS operational.

Before I realized that, I noticed something strange. After being connected to my computer via USB for a while, I pulled the cable, booted the Nuvi up on battery power, and entered the diagnostics mode. That "Batt Capacity" field read 100, and the "Battery" field read OK CAP, which at that point I thought might have been Garmin's way of telling you the battery is fully charged. But when I plugged the USB to PC cable in, the "Battery" field DIDN'T read CHRG DONE as I thought it would. It went back to cycling between DPPM REG and CHARGING. And when I plugged the USB cable in and powered down, I got the message saying the GPS was charging. So I guess a "Batt Capacity" field of 100 doesn't necessarily mean the device is fully charged. Not so surprising now that I think about it.

I'm trying to tell what the best method of charging is via USB while traveling, and whether or not it's worth popping a few more $$$ for an AC adapter. I have so many I'd really like to get by without 1 more. Some people have suggested that USB isn't a good way to charge anything. And I know the amount of current available via USB varies from system to system. I'm guessing that the problem is that charging via USB probably takes longer due to its current restrictions. I can see the "Batt Current" field varying between around 65mA to 110mA via USB. I'll check it in the car to see if the current flow there is greater. But I know when I left the Nuvi plugged into my notebook's USB for a few hours the other day, I did get that "Battery fully charged" notification exiting diagnostics mode. So it seems charging via USB may actually be a reliable way to maintain the battery after all.
  • t923347 208 Points
    I agree, as long as the USB port doesn't go to sleep, charging the Nuvi that way works fine. It may take a bit longer but in 5 Nuvi's I have never had a problem charging the unit that way.
  • TakuSkan 0 Points
    Yeah... I'm pretty satisfied with charging via USB.

A few hours back I put my Nuvi into diagnostic mode, powered it off as I described, and left it charging. I just powered it up and then down again to go back into charging mode and it read, "Charging complete. Press the Power key to turn on."

So there is a full charge notification there. I'll bet there are other ways to see that message.