This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Routes from Mapsource to Nuvi 2370?

I'm generally familiar with Garmin products, especially, the Zumo 550.

I can easily create routes with mapsource, save them on my hard drive, then send them to my zumo, either with the "send to device" button, or by simply dragging 'em via windows explorer from a folder on my hard drive to the gpx folder on/in the zumo itself.

The information from Garmin re the nuvi 2370 says it will hold 100 routes, and indeed, I can load routes into the 2370 -- or so it appears.

However, I don't find any function on the 2370 even remotely similar to the "goto" -> routes, etc, that I find on the Zumo.

So can I store several routes in the 2370 from mapsource, then call 'em up and use 'em when I want to?

Comments

• halmc 0 Points
    (Actually continuing my question here) and if yes, how do I do it?

Thanks!
  • t923347 426 Points
    Routes transferred from Mapsource or Basecamp will be stored on your Nuvi as TRIPS. To call them up go to Where To - Trip Planner.
  • halmc 0 Points
    Routes transferred from Mapsource or Basecamp will be stored on your Nuvi as TRIPS. To call them up go to Where To - Trip Planner.
    OK, but when I get to trtip planner, I have only "touch + to create new trip." And if I hit the +, I get "select Start Location" and then if I hit that, I get nothing that would indicate a trip (or route) anywhere . . . ?
  • t923347 426 Points
    Back in Feb 2011 Garmin said the following:

"At this time the nuvi 2200, 2300, and 3700 series units do not have the ability to manually receive created routes from MapSource or any third party applications.
    Garmin intends to add this functionality into the nuvi 2200, 2300, and 3700 series units via a software update sometime in the future. Current plans call for the update to be released in the first quarter of 2011.
    The nuvi 2200, 2300, and 3700 series units do offer the functionality to manually create multiple stop routes on the device itself through the Trip Planner feature listed under the Tools menu.
    "

They subsequently fixed this problem on the 3700 models so I can only assume they have fixed it on the 22 and 2300 models as well. I don't know for sure as I have no access to either series. Hopefully someone else here knows for sure.
  • halmc 0 Points
    They subsequently fixed this problem on the 3700 models so I can only assume they have fixed it on the 22 and 2300 models as well. I don't know for sure as I have no access to either series. Hopefully someone else here knows for sure.
    I think that's probably the issue. Very similar (but diffeerent model) nuvi's have a feature -- custom routes -- that arise under 'user data', but this nuvi doesn't.

Can someone point me to a site where I can update the soft (or firm) ware?
  • t923347 426 Points
    http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=5144

Best way is to run Garmin's Webupdater and let it handle the update and give you the opportunity to update other items as well:

http://www8.garmin.com/products/webupdater/howtoinstall.jsp

All the 22xx, 23xx, 24xx, 25xx, 3xxx models and 1695 use Trip Planner in place of the old routes function. I think that's the difference your seeing.
  • halmc 0 Points
    Did all the downloads from the garmin site with no discernable change. The trip planner makes no mention of any routes, custom or otherwise.

Specifically, when I touch 'where to' then trip planner, there are no trips shown. I have tried sending both *.gdb and *.gpx files, but none show up in the trip planner.

A friend with a different nuvi gets to an icon which I think is 'user data' and upon touching that icon, he gets "import custom route" (i'm not sure that's the exact wording) I get nothing like that . . .
  • Seldom 0 Points
    halmc, I've got a 1490 that does that. But I don't think any nuvis but the 1400 series have that particular capability.
  • t923347 426 Points
    Did all the downloads from the garmin site with no discernable change. The trip planner makes no mention of any routes, custom or otherwise.

Specifically, when I touch 'where to' then trip planner, there are no trips shown. I have tried sending both *.gdb and *.gpx files, but none show up in the trip planner.

A friend with a different nuvi gets to an icon which I think is 'user data' and upon touching that icon, he gets "import custom route" (i'm not sure that's the exact wording) I get nothing like that . . .
    The Import Routes function is available, and required, on older Nuvi's that supported the Routes function. The Trip Planner, on the newer models, did away with the Routes function and the need to use "My Data" and it's icon.

Here is how it works for me, using a 3790:

- using the Route Tool, I create a route in Mapsource.

- even without saving the route, I click on the route that appears in the Route list on the left hand side of the Mapsource screen, to select/highlight it.

- then select Transfer from the Menu Bar and then Send to Device.

- Mapsource will confirm that the transfer was sent successfully.

I then safely remove the Nuvi from the computer and boot it up. I go into Tools - Trip Planner and the route I just sent appears as an Unscheduled Trip, with the name given to it my Mapsource (first and last waypoint names). Exactly the same appears if I go into Where To - Trip Planner.
  • halmc 0 Points
    Alas, I follow the same procedure, but the route does not appear in Trip Planner.

BTW, your procedure is the same one I follow for my Zumo as well as other Garmin devices.

But at least so far, no joy on the 2370. In addtion to the procedure you follow, I have also directly copied and pasted files directly into various folders in the GPX folder w/o result too.

I have a friend with a Nuvi that was considerably cheaper than this one was and it handles routes like a champ.

Lastly, I can easily create routes on the device itself at the Trip Planner screen. I can save 'em, delete, edit as I wish, and when I open Trip Planner, the routes so created are right there for use.

But when I create the route in Mapsource with the route tool (and/or with the track tool) I get de nada.
  • t923347 426 Points
    The only weirdness that I've noted is that if the transferred route is of any length it takes awhile for it to appear on the Nuvi. In other words, when you first reboot the Nuvi after doing the transfer from Mapsource, the Trip is not listed but if you wait a few minutes and go back in and check again in Trip Planner, it has magically appeared. Very strange but it's always worked this way. :roll:

It's possible Garmin never fixed the route transfer problem in other than the 3700 series but someone else will need to confirm that, one way or the other.
  • popej 57 Points
    As far as I know 23xx doesn't support transfer of routes from PC.
  • halmc 0 Points
    I'm beginning to agree. I even wrote the file to a micro SD card, stuck the card in the nuvi, and the nuvi never sees it. And there's no opportunity that I can see anywhere to 'import' the file to anything the nuvi can see.

Still, it's very counterintuitive that Garmin would go to the trouble to accomodate a usb cable and a micro SD card for the sole purpose of adding 'favorites' to the device.

I'll try to call support tomorrow. Yo, but if someone else cares to comment while I toss 'n' turn, please do.
  • Boyd 1974 Points
    I don't think Garmin ever added route import to the 2300 series either. And I also don't think they ever added it to the 1695. :cry:
  • halmc 0 Points
    No can do, according to Garmin. We spent too much time discussing maps and whether I had a map update. Finally, I says, "with all due respect, this ain't a mapping issue: it's an issue that addresses the capability of the device. And I added that I had updated the software.

The very nice dude to whom I was speaking then sought the assistance of a supervisor who allowed as to how MapSource -- and BaseCamp -- can transfer waypoints into the 2370, but not routes. at this time

I took that to mean, 'and probably not ever', because I doubt that many nuvi users care about that function anyway.

Thanks to all for your helpful comments, which were entirely consistent with Garmin's view of the issue.
  • Mycopsycho 81 Points
    You might check out my posting at http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/comment/172745/#172745 . I had similar issues with my Nuvi 2460 and finally worked out how to import my Street Atlas gpx routes so they would show up in Trip Planner.
  • Boyd 1974 Points
    The 2400 series was the first trip planner based device that allowed the import of routes from your computer. The 2300 series just can't do that, which I think has been pretty clearly established if you read this whole thread.
  • t923347 426 Points
    I don't think Garmin ever added route import to the 2300 series either. And I also don't think they ever added it to the 1695. :cry:
    Looks like your right about the 1695 Boyd. Just check it out on my unit and no routes show up in Trip Planner. I've always found it very strange that the import to Trip Planner works on some models but not others. :?:
  • Boyd 1974 Points
    If you look back at old threads - like the one on the 3790, I think you will see the pattern. I think the 1695 was the first nuvi with the trip planner, but I don't recall seeing complaints about the inability to use routes. I guess it didn't sell so well, and/or buyers didn't want that function.

But there was a lot of outrage over the 3700 series inability to use routes. As you know, eventually Garmin said they would add route import, then backpedalled but finally implemented it over a year later.

IIRC, the 2300 series was the next one that featured the trip planner but it was from the same generation as the 3700, so no route import. Next, Garmin rolled out the 2400 series and it had the enhanced trip planner which allowed route import. So it was the first of the new series to include this feature in the original firmware.

I believe all the models released since the 2400 series allow route to trip import/conversion. However, none of these devices allow you to export a route back to your computer, which is pretty major limitation. You can copy the trip files to your computer, but can't do anything with them there.

And Popej says that you can't even move the trip files between different series of gps (so a trip from a 3790 wouldn't work on a 2595, for example).
  • I have tried in vain to get my 2460 to take routes I have created in MS that I've used for years on many other Garmin Units...
    It seems there is no easy way if any to do this? No easy work around?
  • t923347 426 Points
    We are getting ready for our annual migration to Arizona so I fired up my 1695 yesterday and charged the battery etc. as we use it for a back up unit when we travel. Anyhow, I had a few Trips on my 3790 and I realized that since I probably couldn't download those routes from Mapsource to the 1695, why not try just taking a copy of the .trip files on the 3790 and place them on the 1695.

I copied all the trip files I had on the 3790, in the .system/trips folder, to my computer and then attached the 1695 to the PC and copied all those .trip files to the .system/trips folder there. To my surprise they all showed up in the 1695's Trip Planner. It would seem that if Boyd's and Popej comments above about not being able to copy trips from one device to another were correct, then Garmin has made some changes since those posts, as the copy seems to work fine now.

If you happen to have a Nuvi that uses Trip Planner and does accept routes from Mapsource, doing this copy from one GPS to another maybe an easy workaround for your present problem.
  • Glad I stumbled on this discussion. I was thinking of moving to a 2350 from my 1350 so I could upload routes from Mapsource as I could on my old Streetpilot. If I am reading this thread correctly, the 2350 cannot receive routes created in Mapsource, right? In order to store a route, it has to be created on the device itself. Not a particularly useful feature to me.
  • sussamb 798 Points
    That's right. Garmin FAQ on transferring routes to the newer nuvis says this (note the absence of the 23xx series):

To access a transferred route in a zumo 350, dezl series, LIVE series, or nuvi 2400, 2405, 2505, 3400, 3500, or 3700 series device:

1.Touch Apps
    ◦Touch Tools on the dezl 560 series
    2.Touch Trip Planner
    3.Allow time for the device to automatically import the trip/route
    These Trip Planner devices will take several minutes to automatically import trips into the Trip Planner. The import will automatically begin, but no message will appear on the device indicating that the import is happening. Once the import is complete, all transferred routes will be displayed under a category called Unscheduled Trips in the Trip Planner.1 Until the trips show up in Trip Planner, please do not turn off the device or connect it to a computer.

*Please note: When routes are imported to your Garmin device, the route may change due to navigation settings within your device.

1 Units that create routes using Trip Planner cannot send routes to MapSource or BaseCamp. However, units that utilize Trip Planner will be able to receive routes from BaseCamp and MapSource
  • I found out after reloading my 2460 software that transferring routes made in mapsource worked fine. It does take a while like he said for the gps to absorb the routes and to show them when turned on after a transfer.