This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Want simple but reliable GPS

Mindi 0 Points
edited November -1 in GPS Recommendations
I purchased a Magellen Roadmate 360 but it wouldn't work for me. Now I'm looking for one that will.

When I tried using the Magellen Roadmate 360 it wouldn't find a signal at all. I called the techs and they said it was because my windows were tinted and I needed an external antenna. I spent about $100 and bought one. That worked a little bit. I still was unable to get the signal 75% of the time.

I want:
Something that will find the signal 99+% of the time.
Will get me from point A to point B
Something that speaks. ex Right turn ahead in .2 miles (if it said the name of the streets that would be even better but not a requirement)
Easy to hide or remove so I don't have to worry about theft
Quick to start up and find the signal so I don't have to wait 15 mins before moving

I do not need:
Bluetooth
MP3
ability to carry it around or switch cars

I don't want most of the bells & whistles. I just want something pretty simple but reliable. I'd like to keep the cost pretty low.

Thank you for any recommendations you can give me.

Comments

• Tim 1480 Points
    If you haven't done so already, have a look through this list. Look for a device which lists a "SiRFstarIII" chipset, and "text-to-speech".

Out of curiosity, where did you mount the external antenna? Was it still behind the view of the tinted glass?
  • Mindi 0 Points
    Thank you for the list. I'll look through it now.

I mounted it on top of the roof. I might have understood if I was under trees or between tall buildings or if I was in the middle of nowhere. It wouldn't find the signal on freeways in L.A. with nothing overhead or other major freeways.