This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Any reason to keep gmapprom.img on a 1490LMT?

I've got 2GB internal memory and a 16GB card. Lifetime Updater just sent the last update to the card. Is there any reason to leave the gmapprom.img on the internal memory, or could the internal memory be used for better things?

Comments

• sussamb 829 Points
    I understand Garmins can be 'bricked' if on start up there is no gmapprom.img on the GPS itself ... so probably best to leave it there :wink:

However you can if you wish use Mapinstall to load a 'small' gmapprom.img on your unit and load the rest of the map onto a card should you feel the need to free up space. Personally I wouldn't bother :)
  • Boyd 2009 Points
    True, we have seen a number of posts where removing gmapprom.img bricked a nuvi (it goes into a loop during boot and never enters USB disk mode if connected to a computer). However, these are mostly older models.

I'm not sure that this is the case with the 1400 series, but personally I wouldn't do it. :)
  • sussamb 829 Points
    And I'm not going to volunteer to try it on mine :twisted:
  • willyboy 68 Points
    However you can if you wish use Mapinstall to load a 'small' gmapprom.img on your unit and load the rest of the map onto a card should you feel the need to free up space. Personally I wouldn't bother :)
    I'm wondering if Lifetime Updater did just that, installed part of the 2013.10 on the 1490 and the remainder on the SD card.
    Since it's part of the map if you delete it you may be in trouble.
    Did you check the file size of the map on the SD card?
    My 2013.10 for North America & Mexico is 1,706,688, yours will be a less since the 1490 doesn't include Mexico.

I would think (not sure) If you see that the gmapprom.img on the Nuvi is larger than the size on the SD card would indicate the new map has been split.
  • Seldom 0 Points
    Should have checked this before I asked, but maybe somebody else will find this interesting.

On my card in the Map folder:
    gmapupdate.gma 3kb
    gmapupdate img 1,564,992 kb
    gmapupdate.unl 1kb

In internal memory in the .System folder:

There is NO gmapprom.img
    gmapprom.gma 3kb
    gmapprom.sum 1kb
    gmapprom.unl 1kb

And Windows shows only 282MB on the internal drive.
    And the Lifetime Updater was smart enough to do that without any help from me. :lol:
  • Seldom 0 Points
    Something else the Lifetime updater did was delete the large JCV file from my card, and add a short JCV to my internal memory.
  • sussamb 829 Points
    Seems then from what you say that gmapprom.img doesn't need to be on the nuvi, or indeed on the card :)
  • t923347 532 Points
    Probably, but if those 3 small files still on the Nuvi have the same "date modified" on both the card and the GPS then it's possible that one, or all, of them need to remain on the Nuvi for the gmapprom.img file to be seen on the card.

Just a caution, but better to be sure than end up with a brick by deleting those small files and finding out later you need them.
  • sussamb 829 Points
    +1 for that :D
  • popej 57 Points
    *.gma and *.unl are probably form previous versions of CNE. *.sum is a checksum, which has no use on nuvi. 3 files on SD are all you need to use City Navigator on your nuvi but if you remove SD, then your nuvi became useless. I would prefer to split map into parts and save most usable area in nuvi.
  • willyboy 68 Points
    Something else the Lifetime updater did was delete the large JCV file from my card, and add a short JCV to my internal memory.
    That seems odd, you have more than enough room to put the large JCV file on the SD card. Does it normally get the large JCV file (775MB) on a map update?

You state windows shows 282 MB on the internal drive, is that used space or available space?