This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

How to register a pawn shop gps already registered

I pick up a very nice Nuvi 1300 at the pawn shop today. I would like to register it to my own account, but the registration process says the device is already registered. I have no idea who the previous owner was. Will i be able to register?

Comments

• t923347 426 Points
    Sorry, but there probably isn't no way that your going to get it registered in your name.

Best chance would probably be to CALL Garmin support and tell them your story and see what they will do for you.
  • Boyd 1974 Points
    And what if they check the serial number and discover that it's a stolen unit? Personally I wouldn't buy a GPS at a pawnshop, but if I did and then couldn't register, I think I'd just use it without registering. Not sure that there would be much value to registering it anyway.
  • winston61 82 Points
    Garmin would not let me register the unit, but they were more than happy to sell me an update map. I guess when it comes to making a sale, Garmin is not concerned about whether it is stolen or not. Business is business.
  • Tim 1479 Points
    Since Garmin wouldn't let you register the device without the registered owner unregistering it first, I'd say that does mean they care if the device is stolen.
  • winston61 82 Points
    Well they don't care so much that they will turn down my money. Business ethics are often governed by profit, this is no different. Every gps I've owned has been a used unit. I just can't bring myself to pay retail for a device that only has a service life of 2 to 3 years. I also believe that map updates are too expensive. If Garmin was serious about their stolen unit policy, any second hand unit would be a useless brick. But they won't do that and I don't blame them. Why turn down money?
  • Tim 1479 Points
    If Garmin was serious about their stolen unit policy, any second hand unit would be a useless brick.
    They have no way of doing that.
  • Boyd 1974 Points
    Is there any value to registering a unit like this anyway? As you learned, it isn't necessary in order to update the maps. You can update firmware without registering. I wouldn't think it makes economic sense to update the maps on a cheap unit from the pawnshop. For the cost of the update plus what you paid at the pawnshop, it would cost almost as much as just buying a bottom of the line model like the Nuvi 1300. I see new ones available online for as little as $60.

Seems like the main advantage of registering would be for warranty service.
  • alanb 536 Points
    Is the map you bought a pre-installed SD card map? If not, I didn't think it would be possible to install a map update without registering a nuvi and associating it with a my.Garmin.com login. How did you install the map?
  • t923347 426 Points
    I guess it could also have been the current City Navigator DVD.

The problem with either the SD card or DVD is if you want to continue to update your stuck with buying the full versions, at full version prices, in place of the discounted Update prices.

Kind if makes a pawn shop purchase just that much more unattractive unless you want to never update the maps.
  • Boyd 1974 Points
    Yeah, that was pretty much my point. But actually, you can buy the full DVD version, then purchase lifetime updates for it. So you would only pay the full version price once. Still, that's no bargain - especially for the Nuvi 1300 which was Garmin's bottom of the line unit when introduced.
  • Billw439 0 Points
    I am trying to understand the reasoning. You don't buy new because it only has a 2-3 year life cycle so you just buy one from a pawn shop that is already is 2-3 years old. Sounds like a colleague of mine :?
  • cuc tu 91 Points
    If Garmin was serious about their stolen unit policy, any second hand unit would be a useless brick.

They have no way of doing that.
    I think they could, but only if one tried to connect to the Garmin servers or install any update/map, and then only if Garmin kept a registry of stolen GPS.

Garmin seemed responsive to my inquiry about my stolen GPS and said they would mark it as stolen. I'm not sure what that really means, but I could guess...
  • Boyd 1974 Points
    Well, we have this old thread where a member says the police showed up to claim the stolen nuvi he bought at Best Buy :twisted:
    Well I was happy with my Factory Refurb 1490T until yesterday. Bought from a large retailer in a factory refurb box, all cables, plastic covered cables, screen protector on it and all that nice factory stuff.

Able to register it after submitting receipt showing "Factory Refurbished" on it as it was previously registered.

Yesterday the local police showed up to take the unit as it was reported stolen.

Now this was not a 3rd party seller or auction. This was from a major retailer.

Garmins response is basically "Sucks to be you". Not going to do anything about it. Excuse me. This is your factory box, your factory items, in your factory packaging. You took my receipt and let me register it 2 months ago but now it's too bad for you. Sorry that you were a loyal customer with several registered devices.

I would be very wary of ever buying a refurb unit again. They let this one slip through yours could be next.
  • cuc tu 91 Points
    Boyd, is that just FUD? I'm not making stories here...
  • Boyd 1974 Points
    Read the thread at the link I posted and you will have to decide for yourself whether to believe "taurus92"...
  • winston61 82 Points
    well I don't care about registration, it's useless. However after upgrading the software and re-calibrating the screen, it works like a champ. I don't give a rat's behind about 'bottom of the line' models either. For me a gps is a tool of utility, not a toy. I use it in my work as a delivery driver. Not gonna spend a bucket of cash for something that could be stolen today. Bluetooth and lane changes are of no use to me in a small town.
  • sussamb 798 Points
    Guess you've changed your mind since your first post in this thread then :twisted:
  • wbport 92 Points
    Does Garmin have a way you can send a fax or scan of your receipt/bill of sale do register you if the original owner forgot to de-register?
  • alanb 536 Points
    I don't have any first hand experience with this, but I have read in other posts that if you provide proof of purchase, Garmin will try to contact the previous owner (probably via the registered e-mail address) to see if they will agree to release of their registration. In any case, your best hope is to contact Garmin support and explain your situation to see what they will do for you.
  • winston61 82 Points
    Guess you've changed your mind since your first post in this thread then :twisted:

yes, since I determined that registration is useless. In most states, you only have to have a receipt to get warranty service. Sounds to me like Garmin is getting customers to do the demographic research for them. Anyone start getting new junk mail after registering?
  • Boyd 1974 Points
    The only junk mail I got was a coupon for 10% off any online purchases at Garmin.com. That came in handy. :)
  • winston61 82 Points
    The unit I was referring was a TomTom. Great products. I bought the Garmin because it was a bargain. The only other Garmin product I owned failed because the usb port came loose. Poor design. It's easy to design a port connector that will take the strain off the power port.

I am trying to understand the reasoning. You don't buy new because it only has a 2-3 year life cycle so you just buy one from a pawn shop that is already is 2-3 years old. Sounds like a colleague of mine :?
    Edited by moderator for language.