Copying address book from one Nuvi to another Nuvi
  • asphalt
    I have a couple of used Garmin Nuvis. My understanding is that I cannot register these devices with Garmin, and I guess that means I cannot use Garmin's site.

Assuming the above is correct, is there any way for me to transfer my stored addresses from one device to the other? Perhaps there is a file that I can copy from one device to the other?
  • Tim
    See the FAQ "How to move favorites to another Nuvi" in our How to perform common tasks list at the top of the forum. :wink:
  • t923347
    If by " stored addresses " you mean Favorites then it's fairly simple to transfer them from one unit to another.

Attach the unit with the addresses to your computer and copy the current.gpx file from that machine to a location on the PC. Now go to the copied file and and rename it to temp.gpx.

Now attach one of the other Nuvi's to the computer and copy the temp.gpx file from the computer to the GPX folder .

When you reboot the Nuvi it should have all your old Favorites setup for you.

Note, this can also be done through Garmin's Mapsource or Basecamp software but the copy, rename, copy works fine IMO.

As far as updating software etc on the Nuvi's, you don't need to register them. Just download and install Garmin's Webupdater software which will by pass the Garmin site and allow you to update your devices. Note, maps can't be updated this way only software updates.

If you can get the original owner to deregister the devices then you can register them and use the myGarmin.com facility.
  • asphalt
    old device: 1300
    new device: 1490

I want to copy addresses from the 1300 to the 1490.

In the 1490, the GPX folder has current.gpx and an archive folder. The archive folder has 20 .gpx files. From reading the faq, it seems I should go into the 1490's menu and delete favorites before copying temp.gpx to the 1490.

But what about the .gpx files in the archive? Can I safely delete all of those prior to copying over temp.gpx?
  • t923347
    If you don't want the existing favorites on the 1490 then, yes, delete them before you copy the temp.gpx file to it. If you leave the favorites on the 1490 and place the temp.gpx file there, you'll end up with a combination of all the favorites (the one from the 1300 plus the ones from the 1490).

The files in the Archive folder are old Trip Logs. If you have no need for them they can be deleted at any time.
  • sussamb
    Just to add to that, it's not sufficient simply to delete the gpx files you can see as current.gpx is a one way copy of what's in inacessible memory. You need to delete all the favorites off the 1490, then hook it up to your PC and delete all the gpx files in the GPX folder (incl the archive folder that's there). Then you can place the current.gpx from your 1300, that you've renamed temp.gpx, into the now empty GPX folder.

When you now reboot your nuvi your favorites from the 1300 will be in the 1490.

One final thing to do, go back and delete the temp.gpx from the GPX folder on the 1490.
  • asphalt
    Thanks, all set up! And deleted the temp.gpx off the new device.

Next thing I need to figure out is how to import a google maps route into the device. Any links on how to do that?
  • t923347
    Create your route in Google Maps and select Get Directions.

Click on the LINK icon beside the printer icon (top right of directions pane).

Click on SEND link in "Paste Link in Email" window.

Select GPS from Send To list and complete fields in the SEND area.

The route should go to the 1490. On the GPS go to Tools - My Data - Import Route From File and select the route you just downloaded - Import.

Now go to Where To - Routes and select the route you just imported.
  • asphalt
    t923347 said:

Create your route in Google Maps and select Get Directions.

Click on the LINK icon beside the printer icon (top right of directions pane).

Click on SEND link in "Paste Link in Email" window.

Select GPS from Send To list and complete fields in the SEND area.

The route should go to the 1490. On the GPS go to Tools - My Data - Import Route From File and select the route you just downloaded - Import.

Now go to Where To - Routes and select the route you just imported.

Will this work for an unregistered device? I bought mine second-hand.
  • t923347
    Sure as long as the Send function still works in Google Maps! About the only thing that registration maybe needed for is map updates. You may need to install the Garmin Communicator plugin for your browser for this to work but again no need to register your Nuvi.
  • alanb
    Has Google Maps changed their support for sending multipoint routes directly to a nuvi? Last time I tried it, it only sent the destination and none of the via points or shaping points. I know you can do it with Mapquest, but I didn't think Google supported route transfer without a 3rd party conversion utility.
  • t923347
    Yes, you may be right. I just went from memory and then changed my post just as you posted your comments. :wink:

Just check it out on Mapquest. Works there and you will need the Garmin Communicator Plugin installed.
  • asphalt
    t923347 said:

Sure as long as the Send function still works in Google Maps! About the only thing that registration maybe needed for is map updates. You may need to install the Garmin Communicator plugin for your browser for this to work but again no need to register your Nuvi.

Thanks, I was able to send to the device, and yeah, I had to install Garmin Communicator plugin.
  • asphalt
    alanb said:

Has Google Maps changed their support for sending multipoint routes directly to a nuvi? Last time I tried it, it only sent the destination and none of the via points or shaping points. I know you can do it with Mapquest, but I didn't think Google supported route transfer without a 3rd party conversion utility.

That sucks. I entered the destination address and the device calculated it as 338 miles. When I mapped a route to the same destination (definitely a different route than what Garmin will choose) on google maps and send to the device, that entry shows the same 338 miles to destination. So yeah, it looks like only the destination is being sent.
  • t923347
    Give Mapquest a try. I find you can do pretty much everything with it and it does provide the option to transfer the whole route, which Google seems to have abandoned.

There is one thing that you should be aware of no matter what facility you use to create a route and send it to your Nuvi. That thing is that the Nuvi will ALWAYS recalculated the route when you IMPORT it, so, depending on the preferences and avoidances you have set on the GPS, the route could always look different than it did on the computer.
  • asphalt
    t923347 said:

There is one thing that you should be aware of no matter what facility you use to create a route and send it to your Nuvi. That thing is that the Nuvi will ALWAYS recalculated the route when you IMPORT it, so, depending on the preferences and avoidances you have set on the GPS, the route could always look different than it did on the computer.

That defeats the whole point of mapping the route.

Is there anyway to check the route once it's on the device short of driving it?

Perhaps it's just easier to create the route on the device itself?
  • t923347
    All you need to do is to load the route to check it (Where To - Route). Then from the map screen tap the green bar at the top of the screen and you'll get a list of turns and I think an option to see the whole route on a map. Tap each turn listed to see the exact maneuver and you can scroll from one to another using arrow keys. I don't have my 1490 anymore but there may also be a Preview button on the GO screen when you first select the Route.

Also you can put the Nuvi in Simulation Mode and simulate the route. Simulation mode is turned on through Tools - Settings - System - GPS Simulator.

Certainly creating the route directly on the GPS is always an option. One I use about 95% of the time, if truth be known :wink: but it really depends on how complicated the route is.
  • asphalt
    t923347 said:

All you need to do is to load the route to check it (Where To - Route). Then from the map screen tap the green bar at the top of the screen and you'll get a list of turns and I think an option to see the whole route on a map. Tap each turn listed to see the exact maneuver and you can scroll from one to another using arrow keys. I don't have my 1490 anymore but there may also be a Preview button on the GO screen when you first select the Route.

Also you can put the Nuvi in Simulation Mode and simulate the route. Simulation mode is turned through Tools - Settings - System - GPS Simulator.

Thanks. Yeah, Google Maps is clearly sending only the destination, as the route is exactly the same as when I just enter the destination into the device.

t923347 said:

Certainly creating the route directly on the GPS is always an option. One I use about 95% of the time, if truth be known :wink: but it really depends on how complicated the route is.

Are there any good guides on how to do this?
  • alanb
    I have had pretty good results on my nuvis sending routes from Mapquest. The start, end and explicitly set via points are sent to the nuvi. So even though Garmin recalculates the imported route, if you placed enough via points the route should be preserved.

One little trick you have to know in Mapquest ... In order for the via points to be recognized by the nuvi, you have to convert them to "Stops" in Mapquest before you transfer the route. In Mapquest, right click on each via point and select "Change to Stop" on the popup menu.
  • asphalt
    alanb said:

One little trick you have to know in Mapquest ... In order for the via points to be recognized by the nuvi, you have to convert them to "Stops" in Mapquest before you transfer the route. In Mapquest, right click on each via point and select "Change to Stop" on the popup menu.

Is there any limit on the number of 'stops' the Nuvi will recognize on a route sent from Mapquest?
↑ Top

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!