This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Has anyone else given up on a GPS in favor of a smartphone?

patruns 10 Points
edited November -1 in GPS Discussions
My last smartphone was a Nokia 5800XM which included free navigation. The screen was still small in comparison to my HP so I kept my HP maps up to date. Now I have a Samsung Nexus with a 4"+ screen with Google Maps and I can not really think of a reason to update my old GPS or buy a new one. Are single purpose GPS devices no longer relevant?

Comments

• babj615 41 Points
    Since your poll does not have all possible answers, I answered rotary phone and paper maps :)

My real answer would have been that My GPS works great in many places my smart phone does not, and I do not believe smart phones will ever replace GPS units outright.
  • caryrae 92 Points
    I use my Nuvi all the time for navigation and my Galaxy Note phone with 5.3 inch screen is for back up navigation if the Nuvi stops working right. Right now I will never use my phone as a full time gps.
  • Tim 1470 Points
    Right now I will never use my phone as a full time gps.
    Why? Just curious.
  • mvl 191 Points
    I would like to give up PND GPS for a smartphone, but no phone other than Apple has the ability to avoid complex traffic as well as a standalone Tomtom. (And the inner geek in me isn't compatible with Apple's walled garden.)

I'd If Tomtom HD Traffic ever came out for Android, I'd likely give up PND GPS.

And if Tomtom HD Traffic ever came in-dash, I'd likely trade in my car and give up on both PND and Smartphone navigation.
  • Boyd 1955 Points
    Since your poll does not have all possible answers, I answered rotary phone and paper maps :)
    Me too. I have a smartphone and unlimited data plan, but I don't want to use it as a GPS. I don't want to carry around a monster 4.3" smartphone, my iPhone 4 is a good size for a phone but too small for a GPS. And besides that, I don't feel the need to combine the function of phone and GPS in a single device.

Instead, I have combined the functions of an outdoor handheld with an automotive unit and use the Garmin Montana 600.
  • crazyfingers 106 Points
    I voted "I still use both because my smartphone cannot do it all."

But that's not a good answer. The answer is I don't want to merge the two functions. I want them separate.

I expect that my Samsung Infuse could do it but as I understand it cell service is required to download maps as I move along. I don't know if cell service is needed once a route is determined but, I just don't want to merge the two things.
  • mvl 191 Points
    I expect that my Samsung Infuse could do it but as I understand it cell service is required to download maps as I move along. I don't know if cell service is needed once a route is determined but, I just don't want to merge the two things.
    Google Maps on Android require cell service or wifi to download maps as a route is planned.

Most competitor navigation apps on the Android Market have predownloaded maps. So if you download them once on wifi, you don't need to download on-the-fly using your data plan.
  • patruns 10 Points
    You can also preview and area while you are still in wifi and save it for use later. How large an area is not yet clear to me.

That reminds me, this push to cloud service by Google, Microsoft and Apple definitely has it's drawbacks depending on where you want to use your smartphone. When I am out of the country I will be turning off data service. I'll have wifi where I'll be staying, but not on the road.
  • crazyfingers 106 Points
    I really doubt that I will ever want to merge navigation with my phone, regardless of how reliable the data services can become in the future.
  • babj615 41 Points
    I would also like to add, my current GPS will function for >20 hrs on one set of batteries, and is water proof, so if I drop it in a stream or snow, etc. It will be OK.

No single smart phone even comes close to that performance!
  • caryrae 92 Points
    Right now I will never use my phone as a full time gps.

Why? Just curious.
    Guess like others have said I don't want to have every option in one device I just like have the gps separate from my phone/music player/internet device.
  • alanb 427 Points
    I have a simple cell phone (Tracfone) that costs less than $100 per year. I use it only for emergency and when out of town. I don't need any of the other smart phone functions. I use the GPS several times a week and since I have lifetime maps, there is no recurring cost other than a battery every 3 years or so. So I picked option 4. I am not willing to pay for a smart phone or data plan.
  • patruns 10 Points
    Very interesting responses. Seems some will just not embrace the technology regardless, some have specific needs that are still best served by a PND and some have fairly minimal use for a cell phone. BTW, I included the paper map option because I actually have a friend who will not even consider a free PND. He makes his wife sit in the passenger seat and navigate. :)

For the record, I am not completely sold on dumping my PND yet, but I think that is because I am still in a learning curve. The more I explore using my phone, the more I am getting comfortable with just one device.
  • Boyd 1955 Points
    With only 10 votes in the "poll", I don't think you can draw any conclusions. :twisted:
  • patruns 10 Points
    Ok, now it is 12. :twisted:
  • roadster 96 Points
    just ride.

if there is an app or file that will accept a file that has my poi's

but since I cannot hear such a low speaker. Iam forced to look more. I preferre to not use a gps, andgo by memory,
  • sviking 141 Points
    just ride.

but since I cannot hear such a low speaker. Iam forced to look more. I preferre to not use a gps, andgo by memory,
    You the same "roadster" over on the HondaSUV forum? And RCG?
  • roadster 96 Points
    just ride.

You the same "roadster" over on the HondaSUV forum? And RCG?
    You found me? small world

I have not yet given up on a gps , but have not turned on my cellphone as for a gps. I loaded a great gps app that I do use from time to time

turn right is a turn. but when on a highway the turn is someting totally different Lol.
  • Tiger-Heli 0 Points
    None of the answers really fit me, so I didn't vote, but I will give some info.

I had a Samsung Galaxy Player 4.0 which has a GPS receiver and considered using it as a PND.

I tested a few Navigation apps with it and really liked Sygic (which uses the same style maps as TomTom.)

BTW - I believe Google Maps let's you cache 10 square miles of map data to the device without using a data plan (if you have other Wi-Fi access at home or in a hotel).

Basically, it's not easy to explain why (there wasn't much that Garmin does that Sygic doesn't), but the Galaxy Player 4.0 screen was a bit small for GPS use (even compared to a 4.3 Garmin) and a SGP 5.0 was bigger than I would want to carry around outside the car. Plus the speaker was too quiet, the battery life was awful so I would need a USB cigarette lighter adapter and some kind of mounting device.

I ended up abandoning the idea and going back to a Garmin PND.