The 'Mark Viewed' options have been temporarily disabled due to a performance issue.

Install MicroSD card

I bought an eTrex30 and a PNY 16GB microsd card for it. I opened up the unit, found the metallic flap located below the batteries, opened it, slid in the card then slid the metallic flap shut.

When I go to "Computer" to locate the 16GB card all I get is the 1.7GB eTrex drive. No matter I do I can not get it to recognize the PNY microsd.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Comments

• Seldom 0 Points
    edited May 2012
    Assuming your microSD is properly seated and the latch is down an locked, the other possibility is that the microSD isn't formatted correctly.
  • wiiawiwb 0 Points
    I don't know what that means. I assumed it would be ready to go from the store.

How do I know whether it is seated correctly? I was hoping it would "snap" into place but it doesn't. It lays there in place.

How would I check to see how it is formatted and, if not done correctly, to reformat to FAT32?
  • Seldom 0 Points
    I don't know what that means. I assumed it would be ready to go from the store.

How do I know whether it is seated correctly? I was hoping it would "snap" into place but it doesn't. It lays there in place.

How would I check to see how it is formatted and, if not done correctly, to reformat to FAT32?
    To seat the card place its contacts over the contacts on the Etrex. Then (gently) bring the metal cover down over the card and slide it in the direction indicated by the arrow that says LOCK. The metal cover should then be securely locked down.

The card should show up on a PC as a removable drive just below the "Garmin" drive which will also be represented by a letter.

To format the card, if you need to do that, put it in a card reader, right click on it and format.
  • wiiawiwb 0 Points
    I must not have seated it correctly because I took it out, put it back in and it now reads the drive. Thanks!
  • Seldom 0 Points
    Glad to hear it.