This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

changing city & summit series maps on explorist 710

ozioziozi 0 Points
edited November -1 in Magellan Handheld Forum
hi guys, i hope someone can help me out here.
I bought a few 710's at auction to resell on ebay and make a few bucks.
They came with world basemap + US City and US Summit series maps.
I sold one to a guy that didnt realise they had the US city & summit series maps and he wants to use australian summit series map.
Can australian summit series maps be used on a unit that came with US summit series preloaded?
The buyer said he called magellan and they told him australian maps cant be used.
Surely they can be used from an SD card?
are there any decent alternative topo maps that can be used on this unit? magellan, 3rd party or other
Any help would be appreciated. cheers

Comments

• Hitthespot 86 Points
    Maps can be turned on and off once you have them on your unit. I have the US summit series topo's that came on my 610. I also bought and down loaded the National Geographic Topos. I can turn either one off or on with the units built in software. If he goes into the Map sub menus there is a place to turn maps on and off.

Now as far as buying maps for his unit, I just don't know. I can't understand why he would not be able to purchase maps and use them on his unit for any place on planet earth?

I think he asked Magellan the wrong questions, but I don't know for sure.
  • Boyd 1744 Points
    Magellan is weird. If you look on their US site, it does not list any Australian Summit Series maps for the 710. However if you change your country to Australia will find the map here:

http://www.magellangps.com.au/Maps/Outdoor_Maps/Summit_Series/Summit_Series_AustraliaNew_Zealand

Notice how it says (in boldface type) PLEASE NOTE: This map is only compatible with the eXplorist 510.

Go figure...
  • ozioziozi 0 Points
    yeah i thought it strange that for some maps on their site they have 510 and 610 being compatible devices but no mention of the 710.
    Surely the 710 arent limited to only one set of summit and city series maps for a particular country ?
    I saw the aus maps on the aus site, but this guy reckons magellan told him that aus summit maps cant be used on a unit that was preloaded with US city and summit maps.
    That doesnt really make sense. Surely you can either turn the preloaded maps off, delete them and or use a micro sd card with other topo maps?
    Can anyone else shed any light on the situation?
  • Boyd 1744 Points
    Might have something to do with license agreement with the data providers. It is not uncommon for this to be done with other kinds of software - think: region codes on DVD's. The US version of the 710 is probably considered a "grey market" item in Australia?

Whatever the reason, it's one more point in Garmin's favor. :twisted:

If you're a gambling man, you might be able to flash the 710 with 510 firmware. I know people have done this to upgrade the lower eXplorist models. You might also make the unit completely unusable.
  • ozioziozi 0 Points
    you might be right.
    Surely other topo maps can be used though?
    How can they country lock an outdoor gps to use only the one country topo map?
    I'm a bit of a noob with these.
    Is there many other reputable topo maps for australia that you can recommend?
  • you might be right.
    We are preparing a series of upgrades for those who purchased the 510 - 610 - 710 USA version. You will be able to keep the USA maps and add the Aus/NZ summit and city type maps.

If you are interested in this upgrade please contact jungleghost.com for details. They are doing a survey to determine if this product upgrade is of interest to the public. The number of replies will dictate release of this upgrade.
  • you might be right.
    We can add Summit and City Maps for Europe, Canada, USA, Australia and New Zealand. We have the maps and the procedure to do this.

JG