This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

GPS for wilderness- kayaking, backpacking and cycling

minnesnowta 0 Points
edited November -1 in GPS Recommendations
In preparation for the upcoming summer, camping trips, and wilderness adventures, I'm looking to replace my old GPS.

I used an eTrex Legend before it stopped working. I appreciated the simplicity, features, and functionality but found myself occasionally peeved at the margin of error on the readings.

I need a reliable, waterproof, GPS that will last through the harassment of the north woods.

The number of choices in GPS units is overwhelming, and I would appreciate recommendations on a GPS unit for camping while kayaking and hiking primarily.

Thanks!

Comments

• sussamb 829 Points
    Since you appreciated the simplicity, features, and functionality of the older Etrex, I'd recommend the current Etrex line, which I've used for around 7 months now and found to be very accurate :wink:
  • Boyd 2002 Points
    You might find this thread about the eTrex and other models interesting.
  • Seldom 0 Points
    Keep in mind there are three flavors of Etrex, Etrex 10, 20, 30.
    Etrex 10 doesn't accept maps.
    Etrex 20 accepts maps, but doesn't include an electronic compass.
    Etrex 30 accepts maps and does include an electronic compass, AND IS ON SALE for $220 at REI today and tomorrow. That price puts it in the range of the Etrex 20. The Etrex 30 normally sells for $280 at REI.
  • Boyd 2002 Points
    Another possibility would be the Dakota 20 which is also very compact and (arguably) even simpler than the eTrex due to the touchscreen interface. It also has the electronic compass and altimeter and is on sale for $200 at GPSCity at the moment. Not sure how long the sale will last.