This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Want Another Garmin GPS

Hi All:

New member here looking for advise on my next Garmin GPS for the car. Currently I have a StreetPilot i5 (my first) and a nuvi255W which I am using...I am used to Garmins.

I like the 255W except for the speaker or whatever is responsible for creating the voice clarity, volume and speech pronunciation, mine is pretty lousy in this regard and I guess I'm not alone as I have read reports relating to this same issue and as I am getting older it is becomong more of an issue.

What I am looking for in my next Garmin GPS are three things they would need to have: (1) louder, clearer and proper pronunciation TTS, (2) lifetime map updates and (3) lane assist. I don't really need stuff like Traffic or Bluetooth capabilities but if these features come with a unit you think would be right for me, then that's ok. :? Thanks!

Comments

• dmjohn29 86 Points
    I went from a 255W to a 1450LM for exactly the reasons you describe. The audio is greatly improved on the 1450. With the 255W I had to turn off the car radio to make sure I understood what the device was saying, but the 1450 is much clearer even with the radio playing (at normal volume anyway).

Lane assist is great, especially on unfamiliar expressways. Junction view is a nice touch, but not as helpful as lane assist.
  • roadster 96 Points
    Agree 1450LMT has what you want at 70% sound level I can keep the radio up, and windows down and hear, while the GPS is at a lower spot in the car.

Lifetime map and traffic, you get 3 per year.

you have the default voice she does just fine. but when any gps its always off by some feet when turning. that I wish we had some type of control.

the lane assist is not perfect, when it pops up it will not all lanes are on it Lol.

Maps always a mistake leads to a dead end, showing a road, that has a house on it etc....

and rerouting on a major highway at given times.

SO never trust 100% your gps just t oget you there or when unfimular roads
  • sussamb 780 Points
    Lifetime map and traffic, you get 3 per year.
    Up to 4 according to garmin :wink:
  • willyboy 68 Points
    It's been 4 for the last three years.
    See the dates here:

http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/17527/x/p1/
  • The 1450LM looks to have the features I am looking for but as for the 5" screen...I would like to re-use the heavy rubber Garmin dash mount and cradle I have for my 255W which just fits on the dash mount without much if any room left for up/down adjustment, I don't think the 5" screen unit would fit. Also, would my current power cable (for the car) and the cable for my computer plug into the back of the 1450 or is it a different size connection from what I have now for the 255W?

I guess what I'm asking is there a 4.3" screen unit that has the features I want and will be compatible with the dash mount and cables I have. If not, then I wouldn't consider not being able to use what I have a dealbreaker if the 1450 remains highly recommended by you.

One other thing, I think I am using City Navigator NT but I notice Garmin has come out with Guidance 2.0 and 3.0...is the City Navigator ok or would Guidance be better.
  • sussamb 780 Points
    The 13xx series would do what you're asking too ... it's basically the same as the 14xx series but with the smaller screen and it's not capable of route planning so it would depend if you need that feature?

CN NT is the map, and is not the same as the Guidance version :wink:
  • popej 57 Points
    I just have bought nuvi 1440 (cheap :) ) and I'm really impressed with screen quality. It is clear bright screen, really worth of finding some place for it ;)

Nuvi 13xx doesn't support routes and doesn't offer map screen layout with data fields on right edge. Otherwise it is the same device as 14xx, both use the same firmware.

Guidance 2.0 and 3.0 is an addition to City Navigator maps. Data for these features is released as separate files. So you have main map common to all nuvis and several different files, that are used by different models. I think Guidance 2.0 consist mainly of traffic trends and for 3.0 there is added fastrouting.

Most nuvis are supplied by mini-USB cable, just like 255. This is true for 13xx and 14xx.
  • Boyd 1955 Points
    Nuvi 13xx doesn't support routes and doesn't offer map screen layout with data fields on right edge.
    Are you sure? I had a Nuvi 1350 for awhile and think it DID offer the layout with data fields on the right edge. Maybe this is different on the Nuvi 1300? Or maybe they removed the feature from later firmware versions?
  • sussamb 780 Points
    Agreed. Last time I checked my 1310 you could have the data fields on the right, wife's out with it at the mo so can't check right now :)
  • willyboy 68 Points
    You should be able to see the data fields on the right on the 1350.
    If you change the map settingd it should appear if you select "More Details" or similar terminology regarding options in changing. If it's set to standard view the data field will NOT appear. That's how it works on my 2460, I do believe the 1350 is the same.

To change Tools-Settings-Map-Map Detail.
    Located on page 41 in the users manual.
    Download it here: https://support.garmin.com/support/manuals/searchManuals.faces

PS-Once a route has been selected you have the option to change the fields on the right by clicking on the field and options will appear.
    This works on the 2460, not sure it's the same on the 1350.
  • popej 57 Points
    Thanks for correction, I like "more details" option, nice to know that it is supported on 13xx.

On 14xx you can have different set of values in navigation mode but choice is more limited then in 23xx/24xx.
  • The 13xx series would do what you're asking too ... it's basically the same as the 14xx series but with the smaller screen and it's not capable of route planning so it would depend if you need that feature?

CN NT is the map, and is not the same as the Guidance version :wink:
    13xx Series with the 4.3" screen...maybe? As long as it has loud, clear, distortion free voice capabilities it's worth considering and it would fit into my Garmin case to boot.

Can you recommend a particular 13xx model that may fit my criteria (appears there is more than one) that I can look at alongside the 1450 that has already been suggested. I'm open to any and all suggestions as to what I get and would like to do it right first time so I'm open to any advise.

Thanks very much to all who have responded so far, you people know a lot more than me about these Garmin gps units.
  • sussamb 780 Points
    The 13xx series has the same volume as the 14xx (I've got both). The equivalent here to the 1450 is the 1350, should be the same in the US :?
  • Boyd 1955 Points
    For some reason, Garmin doesn't show a version of the 1350 that includes lifetime maps on their site. They do have a 1300LM however. See the link I have posted below. Personally, I would stay away from the 1300, it's weird. Doesn't have junction view, lane assist, speed limit display and doesn't include maps for Canada.

The 1450 will give you junction view and the 1350 won't. Here's how they compare. You could always purchase lifetime maps separately for the 1350. But shop around. I haven't compared prices myself, but suspect it may be cheaper to buy a 1450LM than a 1350 plus lifetime subscription.

Or maybe some vendors are selling a 1350LM even though Garmin doesn't?

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare.do?cID=133&compareProduct=95192&compareProduct=30937&compareProduct=87479
  • class3 52 Points
    Personally, I would get the 2300/2400 series instead of the 1300/1400 series. A few months ago I bought a 2450LM on sale for just $110. If you go to one of the deals site and set up an alert for "Garmin", you'll get these deals sent right to your email.

IMO, the main thing going for thte 1300/1400 series is the older trip routes engine vs. the newer but less powerful trip planner. The 1450 I had was also very loud. But it also made this weird hissing noise anytime you pressed the touchscreen and made an input.

On the downside is an older interface, less refined graphics, much slower POI searches and route calculations. Browsing the map was kind of a pain. The map would never quite move like you expected and it would sometimes spring back.

I had a 2450LM at the same time and I preferred it over the 1450. I liked the powered mount and that you could do speed limit additions/corrections. It also had more built-in memory than the 1450.
  • popej 57 Points
    I have 1440 and 2340. 2340 is smaller and simpler than 24xx series, but still quite similar. This would be comparison of my nuvis:
    - Routing speed is exactly the same.
    - 1440 supports routes and transfer of routes from and to Mapsource.
    - 2340 supports unicode maps, which is important feature in Europe.
    - Sound and screen quality is definitely better on 1440.
    - Map scrolling on both is annoying and need some practice.
    - 2340 displays no POI on map which for me is a big deficiency.
    - 2340 displays traffic on standard map, on 1440 you have to switch to special traffic view to see congestions along roads.
    - I think 1440 displays traffic delay next to traffic icon (haven't seen it yet), on 2340 you have to browse menus to find this info.
    - Active mount is an advantage for 2340.
    - 2340 has some new features (traffic trends, my trends, speeding alerts, autozoom off), most of which I haven't found useful.
    - 1440 has bicycle mode, I haven't used it.
    - There is no "Garmin Lock" on 2340.
    - Recent firmware for 2340 is unusable, you can't select maps.
    - I confirm hissing noise on 1440 but most probably you won't hear it in a car.
    - Both my nuvi are european versions with 4GB memory each.
    - 2340 is USB 2.0 device, 1440 is 1.0 (or 1.1). Transfer speed to internal memory is about 4-5x better on 2340.
    - Both have good GPS sensitivity and fast fix.
  • sussamb 780 Points

-2340 displays traffic on standard map, on 1440 you have to switch to special traffic view to see congestions along roads.
    - I think 1440 displays traffic delay next to traffic icon (haven't seen it yet), on 2340 you have to browse menus to find this info.
    That's no longer all true with latest software (5.90). You do see congestion on road on normal map, and you are right that delay is displayed, see screen shot below:

• popej 57 Points
    Looks for me like a gray traffic map ;)
    On 2340 traffic congestion info is marked directly:

• sussamb 780 Points
    Nope, it was the normal map ... and you'll see congestion was only on one side :)
  • popej 57 Points
    I have firmware 5.90 on nuvi 1440. When I click on traffic icon I can select from menu: "Show normal map" or "Show traffic map". Traffic map is gray with red marking of congestion. Normal map is, well, normal without any traffic marking. There is nothing new with this dual view, the same was implemented on nuvi 255. So maybe I still don't know something about traffic on version 5.90?
  • sussamb 780 Points
    Changes made from version 5.80 to 5.90:
    Fixed a bug that caused traffic data to not appear on the map.

Have you done a hard reset? Traffic appears on my 1490 on the normal map. Like you if I hit the traffic icon I get 3 more icons, Show traffic map, show traffic on route and one other I can't remember. I don't usually bother with that screen as all the info is on the normal map.
  • I'm thinking hard on the 1450 even though it includes features I probably wouldn't use. I am pretty much a 'enter where I want to go' then follow it's directions type...I don't even know what these trip/route planning and data fields things are.
    I see gpscity.ca offers a 1450T with free lifetime map updates for $129.99 which seems like a decent price?? I have read reviews on the site and some issues with this unit are: (1) shuts down and restarts intermittently (2) won't announce upcoming streets (3) says to turn right instead of turning left (4) annoying pop-up ads (5) broken voices and (6) sometimes slow to acquire satellites. Has anyone here had these issues on their 1450T's.
    I would probably prefer a 4.3" screen unit but like I mentioned previously, I can live with a 5" screen if it's a better unit and some were saying that the 13xx has issues compared to the 1450.
    Perhaps you can list "cons" for the 1450T which will help convince me if the 1450T is the one for me and that I can expect to use for a few years or if the cons will scare me away.
  • t923347 414 Points
    The reviews on gpscity.ca are far more positive than negative. :wink:

It has been my experience that:

1. Shuts down imtermittently - every GPS I've owned has done this. Sometimes it's fixed with firmware updates, sometimes it's because of the particular circumstances at the time of the shut down (doing a number of things at the same time), and sometimes it's because it's a piece of electronics that hiccups once in a while.

2. The Nuvi will only announce the street name of a street you should be turning onto. In that case it will always announce the street if you have a destination inputted. I will not announce street names at all if no destination is inputted.

3. Reported to have been fixed by a firmware update.

4. Depends on what you call "annoying". Personally a small ad appearing on the map screen when your stopped and going away when you start up again isn't annoying. It's the price you pay for free traffic.

5. No idea what a broken voice is. Never heard one. If present will probably be replaced with a voice update.

6. Depends on the circumstances. If you haven't turned it on for a week, are hundreds of miles from where you last turned it on, or turn it on while your travelling down the highway, then it will take a lot longer to get a lock than it would in other circumstances.
  • popej 57 Points
    Traffic appears on my 1490 on the normal map.
    I have investigated this a bit. No, traffic is only displayed on traffic map. But if nuvi detects traffic warning on route it switches automatically form normal map to traffic map. Traffic map is gray with limited functionality, for example POI aren't displayed and you can't select destination by touching traffic map.
  • t923347:

Thank you very much for your reply. Your answers to the 'cons' I read (and the recommendations from others on this forum topic) have pretty much convinced the 1450T is the unit I need given consideration to my "wants" in a GPS.

There are a lot of Garmin units to choose from, so many that it gets confusing and I was looking for a real GOOD one that I expect will serve me well for a few years to come. All the advise is appreciated.

Looks like I may be contacting gpscity regarding the Garmin 1450.

BTW, great forum.
  • t923347 414 Points
    No problem, glad I could help with your decision. :)

I had a 1490 for a couple of years and really liked the 5" screen. The only thing that would trouble me with the 14xx models now is that the internal storage isn't large enough to hold the full North America maps and large Junction View file so your forced to do a bunch of file management to move files off the device that you don't need and/or put things on an SD card.

Most any of the newer models (2xxx or 3xxx and possibly the Nuvi30/40/50 models) will have at least twice the internal storage, which solves the space problem, and some maybe priced similar to the 1450. Sorry to give you one more thing to think about. :roll:

Anyhow, I bought my first GPS from gpscity.ca, in 2005, and found them a really a good company to deal with.
  • Aviator327 91 Points
    t923347:

Thank you very much for your reply. Your answers to the 'cons' I read (and the recommendations from others on this forum topic) have pretty much convinced the 1450T is the unit I need given consideration to my "wants" in a GPS.

There are a lot of Garmin units to choose from, so many that it gets confusing and I was looking for a real GOOD one that I expect will serve me well for a few years to come. All the advise is appreciated.

Looks like I may be contacting gpscity regarding the Garmin 1450.

BTW, great forum.
    I have had my 1490T for over a year now. The only issue I have seen on my unit is if I let it set for a week or so and then take it out for a trip the speed ind will sometimes lockup meaning if I am going 35mph the speed ind will lockup at 13mph and stay there. If I hit the return arrow and then hit View Map it will reset and show the current speed I am driving at.
    Not quite sure what causes the speed indicator to lockup. This is a random issue. Overall, I am well pleased with my 1490T.
  • Ha, no problem at all 't923347' with the "Sorry to give you one more thing to think about." I have taken all the advise so I make the correct decision. Right now it's definately between the 1450 and 1350 (Shoppers Drug Mart has the 1350 on special Saturday only for $89.99 but I want to make sure it has Lifetime Map Updates).

'sussamb' says the 1350 would be the same device as the 14xx except that it doesn't support route planning and it has the smaller 4.3" screen so that's why I'm still including it for consideration but I'm sorta leaning towards the 1450T from gpscity which is only $40.00 more, I think they are both decent prices?

I'll let you know which unit I end up with when I get it. Thanx.
  • One more question if I may...Does the nuvi 1350LMT have the same speaker volume and clarity as the 1450T or is it different because it's a bit smaller? My choice will be either one or the other and looking forward to getting the new unit soon. Thanks.
  • Aviator327 91 Points
    One more question if I may...Does the nuvi 1350LMT have the same speaker volume and clarity as the 1450T or is it different because it's a bit smaller? My choice will be either one or the other and looking forward to getting the new unit soon. Thanks.
    In addition to my 1490T, I also have a 1350. I keep the vol level at 70% and the voices I use are "crystal clear". :wink:
  • HarleyMan 0 Points
    I recently replaced my Nuvi 760 w/ the top-of-the-line Garmin Nuvi 3590LMT. The new unit features a 5" screen, lane assist, 3D traffic, the all-new Garmin 3.0 Guidance system, voice activation, bluetooth and many more. The newer software on the 3590 is more user friendly & the bigger screen is a nice welcome addition.
  • Just an "update" to my original post...I had placed an order through Amazon a little while back for a Garmin 2450LM which I was waiting delivery on until I recieved an Email message from them a couple of weeks later notifying me it was not available afterall, so I thought frigit and went to B/Buy in Ottawa and bought a Nuvi 2555LM and so far so good, happy with it even though I've only used it a couple of times.

It has features that I probably won't use but the 5" screen is very useful along with the Lane Assist and Junction View and if need be I can still use the vehicle charger, USB data cable and Garmin Dash Mount (the rubber three finger style) I already had from my StreetPilot i5 & Nuvi 255W.

Thanks to all who offered advise.

Tom