This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

How many map segments can a Nuvi access?

The answer might surprise you just as much as it did me when I stumbled across it in a search at Garmin Support. :)

https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={fe363fe0-211a-11e1-73d0-000000000000}
Support

Frequently Asked Questions

How many map segments can I load to my nuvi?

12/07/2011

When using MapInstall or MapSource to send mapping to a device, each map item selected is called a map segment or a map set. You can select multiple map segments and send them all at once to a device or a memory card.

Although other devices have a limit to the number of total map segments they can read, the nuvi line does not. When sending maps to a nuvi, you are only limited by the following:

Total available memory on the nuvi, if sending directly to the device

Total available memory on the SD card, if sending directly to a memory card

MapSource and MapInstall limitations

Currently, MapSource and MapInstall will only allow you to send a maximum of 4GB of map data at a time. This means that although there is no limit to the number of map segments a nuvi can receive or read, you may still only send up to 4GB of data at any one time.

Comments

• babj615 41 Points
    Makes me wonder why the nuvi can handle unlimited map segments while the Montana is limited?
  • Boyd 1974 Points
    I find this really baffling. I always assumed that the segment limit had something to do with how many bits/bytes were used as an index. But maybe they have placed the limit because performance is impacted with a lot of segments, and the assumption is that topo maps on a handheld are slower to render?

I'm hoping that Popej will come along and enlighten us. :D
  • popej 57 Points
    There is no build in limit of tiles in Garmin img. Limit could depend on tiles management in firmware.

And there is no 4GB limit of total file size either. 4GB is limit of FAT32, which is used for internal memory and SD cards.
  • sviking 141 Points
    Makes me wonder why the nuvi can handle unlimited map segments while the Montana is limited?
    What is the segment size on the Montana? I'm specifically interested because I just ordered a Montana and I also have Garmin's US 100K TOPO on DVD. I have to break it up into four files with my 60CSx. That unit has a 2025 tile size limit.
  • babj615 41 Points
    Garmin's OFFICIAL answer is "Roughly 3000 Map Segments".

https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={d811c140-2610-11e1-73d0-000000000000}

How's that for a specification? :?
  • sviking 141 Points
    Garmin's OFFICIAL answer is "Roughly 3000 Map Segments".

https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={d811c140-2610-11e1-73d0-000000000000}

How's that for a specification? :?
    So, not much better than my ancient 60CSx.

:? indeed...
  • sviking 141 Points
    BUT... Can you select from multiple map FILES, via some sort of menu structure, on the Montana itself directly? If so, then it's not such a big deal to have a map broken up into more than one section. It would be wonderful if I could access US TOPO 100K via the three or four unique file names I'd give it, such as TOPO west coast, TOPO east coast, etc... I'm also assuming these are all in the standard Garmin .img format...
  • babj615 41 Points
    Yes, but one map broken into multiple sections, each section will still have the same MAP ID number, so you may not be able to enable them independently.

Try it and let us know?
  • sviking 141 Points
    Yes, but one map broken into multiple sections, each section will still have the same MAP ID number, so you may not be able to enable them independently.

Try it and let us know?
    I will when I get it! :D
  • babj615 41 Points

Try it and let us know?

I will when I get it! :D
    Excellent!

That will be GOOD information to have ;-)
  • sviking 141 Points

Excellent!

That will be GOOD information to have ;-)
    Per your request, babj... 8)

YES! The Montana will allow you to "enable/disable" maps from a list.

I threw in my SD card from my 60CSx with Garmin's TOPO US broken up into three files, due to size limitation on the 60CSx. The "west map" also has the detailed Arizona TOPO from gpsfiledepot and the "east map" has the Florida TOPO. With all three (west, central, east) maps enabled, I can seamlessly scroll across the US with full TOPO detail, including the extra ones from gpsfiledepot. The three maps show in the list but, for all intents and purposes, it acts like one large map. This is awesome and exactly what I'd hoped as it was a PITA to have to rename the file I wanted to gmapsupp.img on the 60CSx and I couldn't do it on the unit myself. I had to use a computer w/ USB cable.
  • sviking 141 Points
    Interesting... I forgot I just used my 60CSx card with the existing maps. I guess I'll have to try to send them to the SD card on the 60CSx and try it in the Montana again. Man, what a slow PITA process that's going to be...AGAIN... :roll: