This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Brand new just out of the box 3450LM does not turn on

Just receive today a nevi 3450LM. This may be a stupid question, but when I plug it into the car (and later into the computer) I get . . . NOTHING. Can I assume this particular product is a dud or am I missing something. I actually tried three different vehicles before I gave up on the automotive option. Then I tried using the USB cable to see if the computer would recognize it - NOPE. So, is there some sort of secret ON button I have missed before I send the entire package back?

Comments

• class3 52 Points
    Just receive today a nevi 3450LM. This may be a stupid question, but when I plug it into the car (and later into the computer) I get . . . NOTHING. Can I assume this particular product is a dud or am I missing something. I actually tried three different vehicles before I gave up on the automotive option. Then I tried using the USB cable to see if the computer would recognize it - NOPE. So, is there some sort of secret ON button I have missed before I send the entire package back?
    Normally the unit will turn on automatically if it's in its powered mount and you turn on your car. But sometimes the unit arrives with the battery depleted. Try putting the unit in powered mount, then connect a USB cable to it from a USB power adapter (or a computer). Then leave it for 2 or 3 hours to charge.

Another thing that might be happening is you're pressing the on button twice and accidentally turning it off. When you turn it on, the screen won't do anything for a few seconds and then finally it will display the Garmin logo. But sometimes people mistake this for not being on, so they press the button again, which turns it off.

When turning it on, remember to depress the on button for a few seconds and then just wait.
  • Boyd 1974 Points
    It's possible that the unit crashed. To force a shutdown, you need to hold the power button down for a LONG time, maybe 30 seconds. Try that.

If the battery is completely dead, it might take quite a while to recharge, especially connected to a computer which does not provide as much power as an AC adaptor. I ran the battery completely down on my 3790 and it took around 3 hours connected to an AC adaptor before it would show any sign of life.

If neither of these things work, return it for a replacement.
  • arundel 0 Points
    So I guess I have to be more patient. Another question: Is there a battery in both the mount AND the GPS itself or just the GPS? Also, if I connect the GPS to the mount, and then use a USB cable to connect to the computer, will the unit turn on when it is powered up, or will I have to press the button to get it to turn on. Will it charge by connecting only the GPS to my computer (without the mount) using the supplied cord? and if not, what is the difference? My old GPS is 255W without the powered a powered mount, so lots less confusing.
  • Boyd 1974 Points
    There is no battery in the mount. You can connect either the cradle or device itself to your computer. However, the connector on the mount can only be used to provide power while the connector on the device can be used to transfer data (or at least that is the case with my 3790).

BTW, regardless of the cause, what you are experiencing is not normal. The unit should start up immediately when you plug the power cord into your lighter socket.

If you bought it at a local store, you might want to just swap it out and not waste any time troubleshooting.
  • arundel 0 Points
    Boyd,

I actually purchased this 3450LM directly from Garmin, so looks like I will be packing it up for return.
  • arundel 0 Points
    Well, forget everything I just said. I went over to the Garmin (had it plugged into my old laptop to charge) and tried once again the 30 second pressing of the on/off button - nothing. So I pulled out the USB cable and VOILA, on came the Garmin logo.

We shall see.
  • Billw439 0 Points
    When plugged in the computer with the usb cable the unit does not boot to the map screen. It just shows the network connection on the screen.
  • Boyd 1974 Points
    If the unit is in its cradle and you use the mini-USB plug to connect to your computer, I believe it will boot into navigation mode. If you use the micro-USB plug on the unit itself, then it will go into computer mode.

In any case, that is what my 3790 does and I think the 34x0 series is the same.
  • class3 52 Points
    If the unit is in its cradle and you use the mini-USB plug to connect to your computer, I believe it will boot into navigation mode. If you use the micro-USB plug on the unit itself, then it will go into computer mode.

In any case, that is what my 3790 does and I think the 34x0 series is the same.
    That's correct. On the 34xx/35xx series (and probably any model with a powered mount), if you install the unit to the cradle and plug the cradle to the computer or a USB AC adapter, it will turn on automatically and enter nav mode like in your car. If you connect a micro-USB cable directly to the GPS, it will enter data transfer mode: there's a white computer icon for mass storage mode and an orange computer icon for the other mode.

Normally you can use any regular mini-B USB cable with the cradle, but sometimes it can get wonky if your cable is a little different. If it does, try a different cable.
  • Billw439 0 Points
    On my 765 if you power it from the cradle then it will go to the maps. If it is in the cradle and you power it from the usb cable it will not go to the maps but goes to the computer mode. The key is to go to maps you have to power it through the cradle (or not at all). There is no usb connector on the cradle or the fm cable and I don't know what will happen if you do try to power from both at the same time nor do I plan to find out. :)
  • Boyd 1974 Points
    Well, things have changed a lot since they made the 765. :D These older cradles had a propietary power connector but all the newer models with powered cradles use standard mini-USB connectors. The connector on the cradle is only used for power, so the Nuvi won't "know" it's connected to a computer and will operate normally.

I would say that the new cradles are an improvement. The plastic molded in such a way that the Nuvi just snaps in and out without the need for a mechanical release button. And the USB connector lets Garmin standardize power supplies and traffic receivers as well as letting you use cheap third party adaptors.

On the old style cradles, the connector and release buttons sometimes failed, so it appears that Garmin changed the design to improve reliability as well as lowering their cost.