This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

New hiking , walking gps

im45us 0 Points
edited November -1 in GPS Recommendations
I am looking for a handheld GPS. Does not need to be fancy. I am a walker and would like to know how far I walk for exercise . I also like to hike and would like maps for the north east U.S area. Mostly the white mountains.

Not looking to spend much so if the Etrex would work that would be nice.

Thanks Ivan

Comments

• Boyd 2002 Points
    I would look at the eTrex 30, or eTrex 20 if your budget is really tight. But the 30 has the electronic compass which is a nice feature (can show which direction you are pointing when you're standing still).

Another possibility is the Oregon 450, especially if you can find it on sale - we have seen it before in the $230-$250 range. Touchscreen interface, larger and higher resolution than the eTrex.

Or maybe a Dakota 20, which is like a small version of the Oregon. For some reason, the pricing has always seemed a bit high on these however. All of these units are quite different. You really should look at them in person before deciding. REI is one store that carries a variety of models.

For maps, start with the free ones from gpsfiledepot.com. You can download and start using on your computer before you even buy the GPS. If you don't like those, then Garmin has a Northeast 24k topo you could look at. It has routable roads and trails (can give you turn by turn directions) but most free maps don't have that. The Garmin map can also give you elevation profiles, 3d views and shaded terrain. Free maps don't have that either.
  • babj615 41 Points
    I would look at the eTrex 30, or eTrex 20 if your budget is really tight. But the 30 has the electronic compass which is a nice feature (can show which direction you are pointing when you're standing still).

Another possibility is the Oregon 450, especially if you can find it on sale - we have seen it before in the $230-$250 range. Touchscreen interface, larger and higher resolution than the eTrex.

Or maybe a Dakota 20, which is like a small version of the Oregon. For some reason, the pricing has always seemed a bit high on these however. All of these units are quite different. You really should look at them in person before deciding. REI is one store that carries a variety of models.

For maps, start with the free ones from gpsfiledepot.com. You can download and start using on your computer before you even buy the GPS. If you don't like those, then Garmin has a Northeast 24k topo you could look at. It has routable roads and trails (can give you turn by turn directions) but most free maps don't have that. The Garmin map can also give you elevation profiles, 3d views and shaded terrain. Free maps don't have that either.
    Yeah, I don't see any plugs in there.... :?
  • im45us 0 Points
    Thanks for the info. I have an REI close by. I will check them out.

As far as the maps on my computer, How would I do that? Are there directions I can follow?

Thanks again
  • babj615 41 Points
    Thanks for the info. I have an REI close by. I will check them out.

As far as the maps on my computer, How would I do that? Are there directions I can follow?

Thanks again
    Yes!

Search my forum posts and you will find a link with information about how to put maps on your GPS!
  • im45us 0 Points
    I meant on my computer :)
  • babj615 41 Points
    I meant on my computer :)
    Super easy.... if you follow the link Boyd gave and find any maps you like, they come with self installers.

You just download and run the executable (Close BaseCamp first) and they will install themselves :)

Then open BaseCamp and select the map from the drop down menu.
  • im45us 0 Points
    Thanks again. I searched your posts. Much good info. I am quickly learning.