This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Do you leave your GPS in the car when it is hot?

I returned my 2595LMT today, and got a full refund. I'm so glad I didn't order it on-line.

I'm wondering if leaving the GPS in the car in the heat could have caused it to fail. Although the day it failed, it was parked in my garage all day. It worked fine after leaving it in the car all day in 100 degree (F) heat, for many days. Then it failed. It was 3 weeks old.

Do you leave your GPS in the car for hours when it is hot out?

Comments

• sussamb 798 Points
    Nope ...
  • jonnop 101 Points
    No matter what the weather, I never leave the GPS in the car.

I prefer not to tempt thieves to break in. We never get hot in the UK - only wet!
  • willyboy 68 Points
    Personally I don't leave my GPS in the car for theft prevention and possible issues from exposure to heat and cold. But that's just me and I know others may disagree.

I have read that Garmin users in warm states such as Arizona and Florida always leave their units in the car with no problems.

I am by far no electronics expert but I think that if a solder joint on a board is less then perfect, expansion and contraction can cause that joint to fail and effect that part of the circuitry.

This is what Garmin has to say about storing a GPS. It pertains to Battery Warnings.

Do not leave the device exposed to a heat source or high temperature location such as in the sun
    or in an unattended vehicle. To prevent damage, remove the device from the vehicle or store it out of direct sunlight, such as the glove box.

When storing the device for an extended time, store within the following temperature range
    From 32 to 77 degrees Fahrenheit (0 to 25 Celsius)

Do not operate the device from -4 to 131 degrees Fahrenheit (-20 to 55 Celsius)

Garmin Source for the 2595LMT (I think it should apply to all Nuvis)
    Click on Download “Important Safety and Product Information”
    http://support.garmin.com/support/manuals/manuals.htm?partNo=010-01002-01&language=en&country=US
  • sussamb 798 Points
    That should read:

Do not operate the device outside of the following temperature range: -4 to 131 degrees Fahrenheit (-20 to 55 Celsius)

:D
  • Boyd 1980 Points
    I'm wondering if leaving the GPS in the car in the heat could have caused it to fail.
    I'm not sure that your GPS "failed" at all. It sounds like it just had a software glitch that caused a couple crashes. Even if it does have a problem that requires replacement, I think it is software-related and has nothing to do with damage that might be caused by heat.

FWIW, I have left all my Nuvi's in the car and never had a problem with heat. Of course, it would be safer not to.
  • willyboy 68 Points
    That should read:

Do not operate the device outside of the following temperature range: -4 to 131 degrees Fahrenheit (-20 to 55 Celsius)

:D
    Thanks for the correction for my wording of "Do not operate the device from -4 to 131 degrees Fahrenheit (-20 to 55 Celsius)"

Using that statement user should never turn his GPS on.
  • jimirb 81 Points
    Aside from tempting the bad guys, my belief is that anything with a battery suffers from long-term exposure to extreme heat. I personally prefer to slip my 1450 into a pocket or a briefcase and not have the worry of theft or degredation of battery life.

We recently spent time in south Texas where the actual temp hit 109. I could not hold on to the steering wheel after parking the car for a hour or two so it seemed pretty obvious to me that so much heat couldn't be good for the GPS, even in the glove box or trunk!
  • HarleyMan 0 Points
    I never leave my GPS (Nuvi 760) in my windshield either, but last week we were vacationing at the beach & decided to go to church on Sunday in the next town over. I left my GPS mounted & hooked up, but after church was over, the GPS was frozen. It was hot during the service, but that's not unusual in Florida. I took my GPS into my condo that night to allow it to cool off. When it didn't respond the next day, I went out & bought a Nuvi 3590LMT. I called Garmin to inquire about the problem & the tech told me to do a hard reset on my Nuvi 760. It worked! Now I have the top-of-the-line Nuvi + an older back-up model.

In my opinion, the GPS's should withstand the heat. Everyone has them in their windshield & many stay mounted all day long through hundreds of miles. Mine had never responded like that before, but I plan to use the older model to see if it freezes up again.
  • When storing the device for an extended time, store within the following temperature range
    From 32 to 77 degrees Fahrenheit (0 to 25 Celsius)
    Living in SoAZ, my garage doesn't get below 77 in the summer. Having said that, I rarely store my 1450LMT outside of the car. And whether I'm driving with the GPS in it's little "bean bag" thingy on the dash where the sun beats down on it or parked in a parking lot where I leave the GPS on the dash or on the console, I rarely take it our of the car.

The car thermometer was reading 111F a few days ago and the GPS was still working just fine. Must be lucky....
  • Nope, I don't leave anything in my car that can be stolen. Yes, I have insurance ,but it's a pain when they slash your roof.
  • gatorguy 325 Points
    I've had my 1695 do an auto-shutdown a couple of times due to excessive heat. I know that because of an on-screen notice that pops up when the unit was turned back on. I forget the verbiage but it has to do with a warning not to leave it operating in a hot vehicle.
  • willyboy 68 Points
    That's interesting, I never heard of a message displayed to indicate an over heated unit.

I wonder if you entered the Diagnostics Mode of your 1695 to see if a message is present under Shutdown Causes".
  • Wow. I guess I'll be the dissenting opinion.

Mine never leaves my truck. I live in Dallas area. Inside temperatures easily get over 130.

There's been a handful of times when I park in a secure parking lot that I've left it in the window, on the suction cup, facing the sun, in the heat of Summer. But otherwise, I lock it in the console when not in use, but there's been times I've pulled it out and immediately began using it before the cab cooling off completely...

My GPS is over 5 years old. No problems at all.
  • Recumbent 80 Points
    I'm with TonyPh here.

I live in the Austin Texas area, and I generally never take the Nuvi 780 out of my car, unless I go to... *cough* Dallas or Houston. (Sorry Tony.)

The Nuvi gets taken inside for map updates or when I'm occasionally parked somewhere that is especially dodgy. Usually when I am concerned that someone might break into the car, I just toss the Nuvi into the back of my hatchback.

My Nuvi just turned 4 years old on July 1st. Never had a problem with it.
  • I left my old 360 out in the car and it was fine. Same with my wife's 200W, but doing so killed the battery and it now only works when hooked up to AC power.

I try to remember to bring my 3760 I bring in on hot summer days, and leave it outside all other time. This unit gets much hotter than the older, larger units. Battery life is still good.
  • oldwino 0 Points
    I left my 2595 in my car about a month ago in the car, windows up and in the sun when visiting friends. Did not turn it off when I stopped(forgot to) and when I left 4 hours later it was dead. Would not turn on, hard reset or otherwise. Thought it was a goner. When I got home, I connected it to the pc via usb and it wouldn't start up. Left it connected over night to charge and the next morning it was working fine as has since.
  • Boyd 1980 Points
    That is not unusual. If you have a completely dead battery it may take several hours of charging before the GPS will start up, even if it's connected to an external power source. Had it happen with my 3790 once.