This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Omnitech

gary1212 0 Points
Staples is offering an "Omnitech" Auto gps for $170.00. I know little about GPS but wondering if anyone can tell me if they know about this Omnitech unit. Is it any good ? A decent unit for the money ?

Comments

• Tim 1470 Points
    I don't think I've ever heard of them. I'd move along on that one...
  • As the very happy owner of a TomTom XL I have to just try this GPS. Given Staples current Christmas return policy- you have until Jan 6th to return it. I figure that I can get a 30 day free test drive to evaluate it. I can't wait to see how it compares to the XL. The price with an instant coupon is just too hard to pass up. We'll see how it compares.
  • kk 0 Points
    I just bought this at Staple online too. Been using it for 2 days and this baby rocks. It has a solid 4.3 inch LCD..I bet you can't find any GPS device with 4.3 inch screen for this price. I also found a hack to run the file explorer. I can then browse and run other applications such as TomTom and possibly Navigon. Here is the link to the hack: http://www.techsmarttips.com/forum/discussion/4/x/p1/
  • Having had the chance the "play" with the Omnitech for a few days, and having it installed in my vehicle with the TT XL I have to say that for an entry level GPS it seems to perform very well. It lacks the ability to use voices other than the somewhat tinny sounding computer voice and the speaker quality is not up to the standards of the TomTom. Performs well for navigation and has NAVTEX maps while the TT has Tele Atlas, both of which in this experience has serious flaws, however that is just the nature of the beast when it comes to mapping programs. nothing will be perfect all the time. The menu on the Omnitech takes some getting used to, but once I had the chance to spend some time with it found that it does offer a few more features than the TT, although they may not be the most useful. The route correction feature is not as fast as the TT although it is not a serious delay when making route corrections. Overall at this time I have to rate the Omnitech well worth the low price and think that any entry level user would be happy with the unit looking for test to voice. It locks onto satellites very quickly, most of the time I get from 9 to 11 of them, better than the TT. I noticed in another post that someone was critical of the 3D display and I have to say that I really don't see much of difference in the area between the TT and Omnitech.
  • In doing some more research on this GPS it is the same as the Pharos drive 250. At least is has the same interface and specs and the case appears to be exactly the same minus the Pharos name on the case.
  • andyc 0 Points
    http://www.buzzillions.com/prd-700500-omnitech-portable-gps-reviews/

General consensus is that it works well, but lacks the refinement of the higher priced devices (cheaper plastic housing and mount, etc). "Great device for the price" seemed to be the theme.
  • http://www.buzzillions.com/prd-700500-omnitech-portable-gps-reviews/

General consensus is that it works well, but lacks the refinement of the higher priced devices (cheaper plastic housing and mount, etc). "Great device for the price" seemed to be the theme.
    I'm thinking that the guts inside are pretty much the same as the other B-brands out there. But do people really care about the exterior casing?

I mean, does anyone here be willing to pay $40 more for a nicer, heavier design, if the software and internal hardware basically performs the same?

just curious.
  • I saw one with TTS for 100$ CDN in Bureau en Gros, Montreal (Staples) flyer today.
    The cheapest GPS with TTS I ever saw !
  • At least some of you got ones that work. I tried two of them. The first was dead out of the box and the second never did acquire a signal in two days. When I returned the second one, the Staples manager told me he's planning to contact the manufacturer since every one they'd sold had been returned with the same complaints.

I'd be very leery. Even if you get one that works....who knows for how long?
  • Staples is offering an "Omnitech" Auto gps for $170.00. I know little about GPS but wondering if anyone can tell me if they know about this Omnitech unit. Is it any good ? A decent unit for the money ?
    http://www.gpsreview.net/forums/discussion/3749/x/p1/