This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Mio c230, Mio c320, TT One Le, or TT One 3rd

Adamquestion 0 Points
edited November -1 in GPS Recommendations
All the above, 150 to $200, for the time being.
Mio appears a contender, up and coming from Belgium?
c230 has text to speech.
c320 is 4.3", very slim, and can be hacked for TTS.
LE has itinerary but problem reported here with reception.
3rd can be hacked for itinerary and no problems here.

I bought the LE for $150 and will probably test it out even with BB's 15 percent restocking fee. Not a bad fee to test something out.

The Mio's probably will not have restocking fees. The c320 is around $200, the others are $150 this week :shock:

Too many choices. Last year everything was double and triple so I am delighted to be bewildered!

Comments

• I feel at this time the Mio C230 & tomtom one LE are my choices. I have both, not quite sure of which is better in the long run. Both have positives.
  • I dont want the Mio c320 or the tomtom one 3rd. Just not a fan of em.
  • i know if you buy at circuit city you can get the tt one 3rd and return w/ no restocking fee. however if you'd like to test it out this is of no help to you. soon as you open it you'll pay about 25 bucks to give it back.
  • True..Radio shack is like the only store that takes it back, even opened & used for a full refund in 30 days. 8)
  • gawettla 181 Points
    I just recently purchased a Mio C230. I looked at several different TomTom's before making my decision. I looked at the One, 3rd, 720, and One XL. The more expensive ones have more features, but the operation of the units is basically the same.

The Mio C230 does have an itinerary. You can remove entries, avoid stretches of road and so on. The itinerary has several modes that display differing levels of information.

The C230 alos allows you to very easily modify a route to add via's, extend the destination, or change the destination.

The C230 screen is kind of small

The C230 has track logs.

One thing that the TomTom's have that the Mio does not is the ability to search for POI's along a route.

When entering letters on the keyboard, the C230 shows only the letters that complete words. I think the TomTom might have this, but merely beeps if you press an incorrect letter.

When I looked at the Mio and the TomTom, it looked like the Mio was easier to use. I was able to navigate around the Mio without much triouble.

An annoying thing about the TomTom's is that when navigating menus, you are sometimes thrown back to a main screen, and sometimes back to the immediate menu above the one you are at.
  • gawettla...bottom line...are you happy with the mio c230?
  • gawettla 181 Points
    edited December 2007
    Yes I am happy with the C230.

The C230 has many features not found in units in its price range.

I am not too keen on the color scheme for the maps, but it is something than can be changed (by installing new skins). I like the Garmin Nuvi color scheme the best.

One feature lacking on the C230 and most TomTom's is the ability of the unit to turn on when power is applied and turn off when power is removed. Garmin Nuvi's and most Magellan's will shut down and restart when plugged into a switched vehicle outlet (cigarette lighter). "You never forget to turn it off".
  • Overall, Im happy with the C230. It does its job quite well. For the money, I feel its a good deal. Nice & small, which is what I wanted. Map colors can be changed, theres many options. Also, what I like is the night color. Some GPS dont change the color and its way to bright. Cant beat the text to speech option.
  • One feature lacking on the C230 and most TomTom's is the ability of the unit to turn on and turn off when power is applied. Garmin Nuvi's and most Magellan's will shut down and restart when plugged into a switched vehicle outlet (cigarette lighter). "You never forget to turn it off".
    I don't know about the C230 but my TomTom One LE shuts down automatically when I shut off my car. It actually asks me to press a button if I want it to remain on and if I don't, then it automatically shuts itself off. This is perfect for me. It doesn't however, turn itself on automatically.

One thing that nobody has mentioned is that TomTom offers the free program Mapshare which allows users to share POI updates and info about recent road closures. None of the other companies offer a similar updating of info.
  • One thing that nobody has mentioned is that TomTom offers the free program Mapshare which allows users to share POI updates and info about recent road closures. None of the other companies offer a similar updating of info.
    By any chance, is the power cut to your cigarette lighter when you turn off the vehicle? Mine remains "hot" so the device cannot know I have shut down the engine, unless it can differentiate between 13.8 volts with the engine on and maybe 12 volts with the engine off. I was waiting in vain for the unit to turn itself off. Perhaps you have an accessory plug as opposed to the old-fashioned cigarette light plug?
  • my lighter shuts down 8 mins after car shuts off. no problem.
  • I have both a cigarett lighter outlet and an accessory outlet in my Toyota Prius and Toyota Rav 4 and they all shut off when the power goes off. (And yes my Jeep used to do the same thing.) So I think the majority of cars in the US shut down aux power with the engine so the GPS's know to shut down if this feature is built in.