This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Does anyone make an Android OS, In Dash Navigation Unit?

guiri 0 Points
edited November -1 in GPS Recommendations
Preferably any of the big makers?

I would like something I can customize the way I like it and I'm particularly interested in a good GPS UI. Something clean and with lots of options like the Pioneers (some units) 5 route option.

THanks and links would be appreciated

George

Comments

• gatorguy 326 Points
    Clarion has one (Mirage) coming to a Best Buy near you sometime in the next 4 months or so. I've seen a couple others mentioned in the past few months but I don't recall them coming from what you'd consider a "name".

There's several that interface with your Android (or iOS) phone, and some more recent double-din units allow apps to run on a 6-7" display. I assume those apps could include navigation specific ones. Here's one as reference:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/AppRadio/AppRadio+2+(SPH-DA100)
  • guiri 0 Points
    Thanks. I really don't much need to interface with the phone other than for hands free and phone book purposes. The reason I was looking for android was for the clean look and to be able to mod or pimp it to get it the way I want it. THe pioneer has some modified firmware but the guys writing them have some horrible design ideas and some horrible font choices and also, since the unit I have is pretty old, they dont' update them any longer AND, you can't find the firmware to download it.

I had a guy update my unit but the firmware he could find looks horrible and I can't stand it so I was hoping something would come out in the next year or so with good android support so that I can finally get what I want. I liked my Kenwood unit but there were a few things it lacked and the graphics were very simple and crummy looking. Too bad I'm not a programmer or I would pimp my own stuff :)

The problem for me is that I see all these units that offer all kinds of stuff, including the kitchen sink but I don't need that. I really only need a few main features but they need to be implemented the way I like'em. However, seems that this won't happen. I wish there was something that allowed you to modify your own UI somehow. Kinda like making a database with Lotus Approach in the old days. Drag and drop buttons and functions....