This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Creating a route with a "via"

I'm new to Garmin; I come from the world of TomTom.
With the latter, it was clear how to create a route when one wished to go via a location - a town, for example.

I don't see how to do this with my 3590 Nuvi.
I wish to go to town A, but via town B - and create a route for that trip.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Tim 1480 Points
    edited July 2012
    Typically you would just go through the menus as if you were creating a new route to a different destination. When you set a destination and a route (somewhere else) has already been created it will ask if you want it to be a new destination (clearing the original route) or a via point in the existing route.
  • Ramaprem 112 Points
    Thanks for the reply, Tim.

"It might be helpful to know which model you are working with..."
    As stated above: 3590 Nuvi. The LMT.

So I understand that it is simply impossible to do what I wish: to create one route via some location. True?

I'm finding something else lacking in Garmin - if I am correct.
    I wish to create a route simply to a "city center" (a post-code) - without giving a street.
    Is this also not possible?
  • sussamb 813 Points
    edited July 2012
    Both are possible:

Try Where to>Categories>Cities for the latter or you can simply enter a postcode (I guess you're in the UK) without a number or anything else. See page 12 of the manual:

http://static.garmincdn.com/pumac/nuvi_3500_OM_EN.pdf

Routes and vias ... see page 22 :)
  • Tim 1480 Points
    So I understand that it is simply impossible to do what I wish: to create one route via some location. True?
    No, not true, see my example/instructions above.
  • t923347 432 Points
    Possibly putting Tim's and sussamb's posts together may help. To go from your present location to Town C via Town B you would enter:

Where to>Categories>Cities and enter your final destination (town C) and press GO. This will calculate the route to the center of Town C.

Then enter Where to>Categories>Cities and enter the city you want to pass through as your viapoint (Town B). The Nuvi will ask you if you want to calculate a new route to Town B or to add Town B to the route to Town A that is already calculated. You would pick, the add to current route option and press GO. The Nuvi will now calculate a route from your present location to the center of Town B and then on to the center of town C.

Note, that the same process will apply if you wish to enter postal codes in place of city names.
  • Ramaprem 112 Points
    Okie dokie.
    I didn't understand your instructions, Tim.
    It sounded as if one had to be actually driving to do what you said - and I wish, of course, to do this in advance.

I've got it now; excellent.
    However, the instructions on p.22 (my manual is "35xx") regarding "routes and vias" specifically say that "before you can add a stop to a route, you must be navigating a route..."
    I took that to mean driving the route; not simply establishing a route.

So what happens when one reaches the "via" point? I can see on my device that this point is marked with an orange flag - and not the checkered flag of a final destination.
    Does the device simply continue with driving instructions? Or do I need to do something before the next instruction is given?

Regarding giving a city as a destination:
    I've tried that - but once I give a city (or post-code) as a destination, I am "required" to go further - by giving a street, for example.
    Am I also missing something here?

I'm in Germany.
  • Ramaprem 112 Points
    Our posts crossed in the mail.

I see that I need to go to the category "Cities"; didn't know that.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    And once you reach the via point the nuvi should automatically calculate the next leg of your 'trip' :wink:

Incidentally a good tip is to make sure that via point isn't on an intersection ... there can be a slight lag while the next leg is displayed and/or you get spoken instructions so if the via is on the intersection you may not know in enough time which way to go :)
  • Ramaprem 112 Points
    :D
    I wish to thank you three for the great - and quick (as in, practically instantaneous!) - help. Tremendous.
  • t923347 432 Points
    Glad we could help. :)