The 'Mark Viewed' options have been temporarily disabled due to a performance issue.

Garmin Nuvi 40: Route Numbers (i.e. Route 22) Not Accepted

Hello.

I have a Garmin Nuvi 40 which I admit I rarely use. I do, however, need to use it this week and am having a problem programming it. May I please request some assistance?

Quite simply, when I try to add addresses with route numbers, such as 123 Route 1, or 3351 Route 22 East, it won't accept them.

Here is exactly what I do, step by step. I'll use 3351 Route 22 as an example.

1. I select Where To, then Address.
2. I type in the Zip Code, which is 08876.
3. I then enter House Number, which is 3351.
4. Next, I enter the street, which I type in as Route 22.

This is where I get the NO MATCHES FOUND screen.

I live in New Jersey, where everything is a route number. These are major roads I'm trying to type in. Am I doing something wrong? How do I enter in route numbers? I've tried using the abbreviations RT and RTE but that didn't help.

What am I doing wrong, and how can I correct this? Thank you! Jd

Comments

• class3 10 Points
    The trick is to put in 22 for the street, instead of Route 22. I tried it on my 3790 and it works. The reason is in the nuvi's maps, Route 22 is known as US 22 instead of Route 22. You can try putting in US 22 and it will work too, but it's easier to just put in 22.

Sometimes this doesn't work when the highway is known by some other name. For example, Hwy 18 in California is known as Rim of the World Hwy, so searching for 18 won't work. In cases like this, you have to browse the map to the highway, touch the highway and see what the map calls it. Then use that name from now on in your searches.
  • jdanniel 0 Points
    Thank you for replying.

With the Nuvi 40, apparently just typing in the route number alone is insufficient.

I tried using US and that worked. Also, I tried using HWY and that worked.

So, here's the trick for the Nuvi 40: You need to remember to try either US or HWY.

You are correct...here in Jersey, some roads go by both regular street names as well as route numbers. For example, route 27 is also known as Lincoln Highway. If you do not know this, then you might run into a problem.

But I did get the addresses entered in, thanks to your help. I appreciate your assistance. Jd