This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Deletion of saved places

My TomTom (unfortunately) would delete my favorites (saved places) each time a new map was installed. I learned a way around it - which was a necessary evil - but hate the concept.

I have had a Nuvi 3590 for some months now, and I see that new maps being installed (already happened once or twice) and (system) software updates (also, apparently, a very regular event in the Garmin world) do not delete my stored saved places.

Does anyone know if these saved places are deleted at any time?
Perhaps during a firmware update?

Comments

• alanb 541 Points
    Most Garmin firmware updates do not delete Favorites (Saved Places). But now and then there is one that does. Garmin has been pretty good in warning you about this in the change log or other notes that come with the update.

I have also run into cases where the nuvi will exhibit errors or strange behavior after a firmware update or map update, causing me to do a hard reset of the unit to get it working properly. The hard reset process deletes the Favorites. So it is always a good idea to make a backup of the favorites before doing any kind of update.
  • Ramaprem 112 Points
    Whenever an update of any kind is done to the nuvi, I back up (actually clone) the device. I simply treat the nuvi as a volume, and clone it.

So that leaves me with the file (I've researched it; I know where it is, and know now to restore it) that is the favorites on my back-up.

I guess that I just need to be careful, after updating, that my favorites still exist - before cloning. If they don't, then I would need to restore them by the published procedure.

Any flaws there?

And Garmin makes it clear when the firmware is to be updated - rather than just the system software?
    That hasn't happened since my owning a nuvi - I don't think! At least, I've yet to lose my favorites.

I see no reference to a hard/master re-set in my owner's manual for the 3590.
    Can someone point the way to doing it for this model.
  • t923347 432 Points
    edited July 2012
    Normally if a firmware update will delete your favorites then the changelog for the update will make note of that. Not all firmware updates will delete favorites however.

The procedures for doing a hard/master reset are as follows:

To perform a master reset on a nuvi 3400, 3500, or 3700 series device, hold the device horizontally and follow the steps below:

Note: A master reset will erase all favorites1 and will restore your device to the default factory settings. If you would like to back up your favorites you can find instructions to do so here.

Start with the device turned off and unplugged from power
    Power on the device
    When the first copyright screen appears press and hold the lower right hand corner of the display portion of the touchscreen
    Remove your finger from the touchscreen when "Erase all user data?" appears
    Touch Yes
    The device will now be reset. Follow the on-screen prompts then place the device in an area with a clear view of the sky until it acquires satellites.

We have a Sticky titled How to Perform Common Tasks and in there is a thread that covers the reset procedures for almost all the Nuvi models. :) . Actually I think it needs to be updated to include the 34xx and 35xx models but it's the same process as the 37xx devices in any event.
  • alanb 541 Points
    See our sticky topic How to perform common tasks in this forum. There are threads on how to save/move favorites, how to backup, how to perform a hard reset.
  • Ramaprem 112 Points
    Thanks.
    I had visited the sticky - but, of course, there were no specific instructions for my device. So, yes, it could do with an update.

I found the sticky about backing up a bit confusing.
    Am I truly backing up when I "clone" the device as described: connecting the nuvi by a USB cable and treating it as an external volume?

And, if I do a hard reset, can't I get the complete contents back onto the device from using My Dashboard and WebUpdater? With the exception of favorites.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    If you clone it then you'll certainly have everything you might need :wink:

A hard reset shouldn't need you to do anything afterwards except reinstall your favourites.
  • Ramaprem 112 Points
    Best news I've had all day.
    Thanks a bunch to all who posted.
  • alanb 541 Points
    Am I truly backing up when I "clone" the device as described: connecting the nuvi by a USB cable and treating it as an external volume?
    Probably, depending on the cloning software. In my opinion, the simple copy opertation described in the sticky is the best and safest way to do a backup. Make sure that you have exposed hidden and system files as described in the sticky.
    And, if I do a hard reset, can't I get the complete contents back onto the device from using My Dashboard and WebUpdater? With the exception of favorites.
    No, the Garmin update methods do not provide ALL of the files that are delivered with your device, so you can't recover all of them from these methods. As sussamb said in his post, a hard reset does not affect the Garmin provided files, so there is no need to do anything after a hard reset except restore favorites and saved routes. Note that a hard reset will also delete your trip log and recently found list. These items are not restorable.

Also be aware that the Garmin nuvi's contain files in an area that is not user accessible. This is where most of the operating software executes from. There is no way with normal processes to backup, restore or even view this data.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    You have a 2012 model, so this part of the sticky is what you should have followed. Note that you will need to follow the instructions to change the default behavior from MTP device to Mass Storage device and you will also have to make the changes described to folder preferences.
    I think it's time to update this thread. First, for anyone who isn't familiar with the Windows control panels, these are the settings which must be changed to reveal the hidden .System folder on the new Nuvi's

Second, the Nuvi 2012 models are treated as MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) devices by Windows Vista and Windows 7, and will not mount as lettered drives like the older Nuvi's. Thanks to members popej, jondough and iggy for their explanation of how to backup these new models.
    I just received my received my 2595 today and did the backup of the NUVI when I received it. Here is the procedure I used.

Make NUVI DIR & Files visible for Backup
    1. To make all of Nuvi files visible you must unhide protected files via Win7 like any other HD.
    2. Start NUVI by itself and go to Volume Screen.
    3. Press the upper right hand corner of screen for 10 seconds.
    4. The Developers Screen will pop up
    5. Scroll down to MTP SETTINGS
    6. Change from AUTO DETECT to MASS STORAGE
    7. Shut down NUVI and hookup to Computer USB cable
    8. Start NUVI and it should recognize it is hooked up to the computer.
    9. Explorer will now see all files in ROOT directory and the .System directories.
    Note: as an alternative to step 3 above, you can bring up the Nuvi's "dashboard" screen, then press and hold the speedometer for about 10 seconds to access the developer screen.
  • Ramaprem 112 Points
    "Make sure that you have exposed hidden and system files..."
    and
    "There is no way with normal processes to backup, restore or even view this data."

So there are files that cannot be made visible - and cannot be backed up?
    And so I shouldn't concern myself with them. 8)

@Boyd,
    I'm a Mac user - one of the reasons that I found that thread confusing, and unhelpful.
    Is there Mac-centric info regarding this?
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Mac instructions are also found in that thread. Just make a new folder on your Mac and drag the entire contents of the nuvi (especially the hidden folder) to it. :D
    Not sure what the process is for a MAC however.

There are other ways, but this is pretty simple. Connect the Nuvi to your Mac and click on it to show the contents

In the Finder, choose Go > Go to Folder...

Type .system and click Go

You should now see the hidden folder and the files that it contains.

• Ramaprem 112 Points
    Thanks.

I did see that, but following this from alanb:
    "There is no way with normal processes to backup, restore or even view this data."
    It sounded like there is even more stuff hidden and inaccessible and un-back-upable than the single folder: .System
  • Ramaprem 112 Points
    I've just had a look at my back-up clone for the nuvi, and can confirm that my cloning does, indeed, back up the invisible folder: .System
  • sussamb 813 Points
    You needn't wory about the stuff you can't back up. In general provided you have copies of the files you can see, and in particular current.gpx (which contains your favourite and routes) you're good to go :wink:
  • Ramaprem 112 Points
    I feel very good to go. 8)
    Thanks.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    following this from alanb:
    I am not quite sure what Alan meant by that, but taken on the surface I would disagree. As long as you reveal the hidden .system folder and copy the full contents of the Nuvi's USB disk, you will have everything.

Now there is a protected area of memory that holds the operating system and application code that runs the Nuvi. The system copy of current tracklog, route and favorites is also stored there. You cannot backup any of this, so maybe that's what Alan means.

But it should be a non-issue. The operating system and application code are part of the firmware which can be restored with webupdater. A copy of the tracklog, routes and favorites are written to the file Current.gpx every time the nuvi starts up, so you're covered there as well.
  • Ramaprem 112 Points
    "But it should be a non-issue."
    I'm hearing that. And that's good.

Just trying to more fully understand the device - and the proper care-and-feeding of such. TomTom makes a very big deal about backing up, and that's where I come from.

Actually, I use my bike about 200 times for every time I use my car.
    But I need to go to a very driver-unfriendly country (Italy) - for the first time with my nuvi - and need to drive alone to some VERY small places way out in the boonies.
    The boy scout that I never was is just coming out: Be prepared.

Thanks to all.
    A terrific forum with helpful people giving really quick and responsive advice.
    Some of it's even good. :P :D