This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Looking for GPS recommendations - specifications below

Go To Girl 0 Points
edited November -1 in GPS Recommendations
I currently have a TomTom XLS and have always liked it, but it is grossly out of date so it's time for a new one. I like Tom Tom and am used to it, but have seen many reviews that rate Garmins higher. I originally chose Tom Tom because of mapshare, but never use it. I don't use it all that often - mainly for travel or if I'm looking for a place in town that is new for me - otherwise it sits in its case. I'm also at a point in my life where performance matters more than money so I'm fine with something that is more expensive - the highest I've seen is around $400, and that's fine if that's what I have to spend

I'd like

Text to Speech
Lifetime maps and traffic
Lane Guidance
Speed Limit Displayed as well as current speed
Voice commands would be a nice feature
Finds the satellite quickly (my Tom Tom sometimes takes forever)
A pedestrian mode might be nice, but if it doesn't have long battery life, might also be useless.

I don't really care about bluetooth, but if it had it, it'd be fine, one day I might want it.

I say I'm looking at Garmins and TomToms, but am not opposed to other brands as well - just want to something reputable.

Right now, that's all I can think of. The clincher for my wanting to get a new one is my son moved away and my GPS can't find him. Mama needs to have a GPS that can find him.

Thanks for anything you can suggest.

Comments

• alanb 557 Points
    In the current Garmin lineup, the 3490LMT/3590LMT are the top of the line automotive units with all the features you list including bluetooth. The 3490 has a 4.3" display while the 3590 has a 5". Either of these can be found new with a street price less than $400.

If you would like to save a few $$ and don't mind a refurb of a previous (but not yet discontinued) model, Walmart still has the 3790LMT refurb for sale online for $160. That is a great deal IMO. Newegg recently had the same unit for the same price on its daily Shell Shocker sale, so you may be able to find it at this price from other stores.