This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Custom categories for saved places

Garmin hasn't - god forbid - made it possible to create custom categories for saved favorites, have they? If so, how?

It would be nice to dump some favorites into categories - so that not all are stored in a single place.

Comments

• I think that is still not possible but you can make your waypoints into custom POIs in different folders and they will appear in the nuvi in different sub categories.
  • Ramaprem 112 Points
    Thank you for that.
  • t923347 432 Points
    Using Mapsource software, (not sure about Basecamp) you can load your favorites, place them in categories and then send them back to the device. I have 400+ items in categories on my 3790.

To create a category in Mapsource select Edit - Preferences - Waypoint Categories. From there you can establish up to 16 categories. Now double click on any waypoint loaded in Mapsource to open the Waypoint Properties page. On that page you can assign a category to the waypoint.

Having said all that, don't some of the newest Nuvi's categories waypoints after there are a certain number of favorites saved to the device? :?:
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Using Mapsource software, (not sure about Basecamp) you can load your favorites, place them in categories
    Garmin added this capability to Basecamp last winter. See this post from one of the developers at Garmin's support forum:

https://forums.garmin.com/showpost.php?p=116147&postcount=2

Added support for transfer of waypoint categories on supporting devices

When transferring waypoints to devices that support categories (lots of Nuvis, and many others), the devices will recognize which lists each waypoint was in and assign the list name as category. So if you have a waypoint in 2 lists 'Food' and 'Vacation 2012' in BaseCamp, it will show up in the categories 'Food' and 'Vacation 2012' on your device.

Similarly, if you have a waypoint on the device that has the category 'Hotels', and transfer that waypoint to BaseCamp, the waypoint will be in the 'Hotels' list in BaseCamp. If the list doesn't exist, BaseCamp will create it for you.

To help you see which lists a waypoint (or route, track etc.) is in, we added a tab to the properties dialog that displays which lists (if any) an item is in.
  • Ramaprem 112 Points
    @Boyd,
    Thanks for that - but I don't use Basecamp.

@t923347,
    "...don't some of the newest Nuvi's categories waypoints after there are a certain number of favorites saved to the device?"
    -- Yes! Since you were so encouraging, I've just discovered how! Thanks.

One's custom categories do not show up in "Categories". They do, however, show up in "Saved" (Places).

And the process isn't exactly intuitive.
    One has to start by "sharing" the place; then create a custom category (if desired, which is what I want); then NOT SHARE the place (with Garmin)!!
    The category remains - and additional favorites can be included in the category.
  • Ramaprem 112 Points
    I wish to correct my previous post, which gave instructions for creating a custom category for saved locations - something that can be done with recent models with more than 12 saved locations.
    While my instructions work, they are not the method intended. Also, the instructions are, in fact, intuitive - and given in the user's manual. Yipes!

A favorite can be edited, and one of the edit possibilities is its category.
    A new (custom) category (or categories) can be created - as well as selecting existing categories. A favorite can be placed in any number of categories - existing or custom.

One does not have to go the "share" route that I gave in the above post.
    Sorry. :oops: