This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Bluetooth - any other uses other than phone?

jay_moussy 81 Points
edited November -1 in GPS Discussions
Shopping for a current GPS unit, I see many have the Bluetooth option.

Are there any uses for it, other that the obvious phone connection (which I don't really need and would gladly trade for other features)?

Comments

• Boyd 2002 Points
    If you have a compatible Android smartphone, Garmin has an app that can use it to provide connected services on certain models:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.garmin.android.apps.phonelink
    Makes your smartphone the best thing next to your nüvi.
    Smartphone Link creates a seamless navigation experience between a compatible Garmin personal navigator and an Android smartphone. It allows the devices to share information, such as saved and recently found locations, where you parked, and your current destination. It also links your compatible nüvi to Garmin Live Services, such as traffic, weather and fuel prices using your smartphone's current mobile data plan.

Smartphone Link works with select Bluetooth®-enabled 2012 Garmin devices, including nüvi 2475LT, 2495LMT, 2595LM, 2595LMT, 3490LMT and 3590LMT
  • patruns 10 Points
    If you have a BT stereo in your car you may be able to hear directions through the car speakers depending on whether it supports that feature or not.
  • Boyd 2002 Points
    None of the current Garmin Nuvi series support this feature. Just hands-free speaker phone and "smartphone link" on the models posted above.

Not sure about devices from TomTom or Magellan. Smartphone GPS apps may also be able to do this though. I can listen to my music over my car stereo using a bluetooth connection from my iPhone for example.
  • My ancient 2820 on my motorcycle outputs directions to my helmet headset via Bluetooth. I can also play music into my helmet via Bluetooth but the 2820 is not stereo on its Bluetooth output, where the wired audio jack is stereo.

Wear a Bluetooth headset in the car and when GPS Jill gives you directions, only you will hear them, and you won't have to put up with "Didja hear that? Take the next right. you're in the wrong lane, you need to move over." :)

On the bike, I pair the phone to the GPS, not the headest. The headset is also paired to the GPS. The GPS can access my phone's contact list, and I can voice dial, or touch dial on the GPS screen. It also displays caller ID, which is VERY convenient on the bike, because the phone is in a pocket, under the seat, or wherever, and the screen is inaccessible while riding.
  • Boyd 2002 Points
    Yep, and I believe the Garmin Zumo series also has these features but the Nuvi line does not. The Zumo is rather expensive...

One of the older Nuvi's did have it however, see: A2DP audio on the Nuvi 7x5 series
  • Bluetooth can be used to transfer data! But its pretty bad at it! I love the bt connection on my zumo, it reads directions to me in my q2 headset. I only tend to use it on longer trips though.
  • cuc tu 91 Points
    Yep, and I believe the Garmin Zumo series also has these features but the Nuvi line does not. The Zumo is rather expensive...

One of the older Nuvi's did have it however, see: A2DP audio on the Nuvi 7x5 series
    Oh, the memories...