Turn on 2555LMT, instructed to double tap to unlock

As noted above when I turn on my unit I get a green screen with an unlocked padlock in the center. When I tap it a popup says "double-tap to unlock."

Is this is a security feature? I don't find anything in the manual about it.

It works erratically, taking several repeats of the double tap to start the unit.

As presently configured it seems to be useless.

Thanks!

Comments

• Boyd 1359 Points
    I think all of the newer advanced models act like that. It's not a security feature, it's to prevent you from accidentally activating menus if you carry it in your pocket. My iPhone does the same thing.

IIRC, it will only happen if you were running on battery power and manually put the device to sleep and then woke it with the power button. If you just let it power off automatically when your car shuts off, it should start back up without giving your the lock screen as soon as the external power comes on.

Or, at any rate, that's the way my 3790 behaves. I also believe that the lock screen never appears if the device is in its cradle.
  • t923347 214 Points
    As noted above when I turn on my unit I get a green screen with an unlocked padlock in the center.
    If your getting this screen you haven't fully shut the Nuvi off, you've only put it in stand by mode. As Boyd noted, this normally only happens if you aren't connected to a power source and manually put the Nuvi to sleep. That happens when you make a quick press of the power button and immediately release it.

If you really want to turn the Nuvi off and not see this double tap screen when you turn it back on, you need to press and hold the power button until (at least on my 3790) you see a screen that says "Turn Off the Device". When you press OK to that screen, the Nuvi will fully shutdown. When you turn the unit back on by pressing and holding the power button for a couple of seconds, you will not see the "double tap" screen and it will go directly to the Where To main screen, after it fully boots up.

Also, I've found that when you do get the "double tap screen" when the unit comes out of sleep mode, don't immediately try to perform the double tap. Wait a couple of seconds and the double tap seems to work a lot better.
  • I appreciate your helpful clarifications about the double-tap problem. I actually got to get out on the road with the uniot yesterday and it came right up when I plugged it into the car power.

Subsequently, I played around with actually turning it off as described.

I understand it all now.javascript:emoticon(':D')

Thanks!
  • phenson 0 Points
    I really hate that we can't customize features such as this. I do not find your solution to be helpful at all, since if you turn the nuvi off in the way described, then the whole machine has to boot up again and it's even more intrusive than the double-tap feature. What I wish I could do was just get rid of that thing so I don't have to contend with it. I guess that's a pipe dream.
  • t923347 214 Points
    Well I won't worry about it to much since the post in this thread are almost 2 years old and models since then don't have the double tap anymore.
  • phenson 0 Points
    edited June 8
    I just bought mine this past week, and it still has it, which is why I was searching for a way to disable it and found this thread.
  • Boyd 1359 Points
    Well I won't worry about it to much since the post in this thread are almost 2 years old and models since then don't have the double tap anymore.
    Really? Doesn't your 3597 do this on battery power? My 3550 does. It works fine though, not "erratically" as the OP reported when this thread began in 2012.

Yeah, I wish there was a lot more customization on the Nuvi, but don't think it will ever happen. If you want to customize every little thing, have a look at the Montana. The Monterra has even more options since it's an android device, but it sounds very buggy, slow and overpriced at this point.
  • t923347 214 Points
    edited June 8
    Well, I just put my 3597 to sleep 10 times and every time it came back on one tap. That being said I have seen it take 2 taps, sometimes 3, , sometimes 4, but I always wrote that off as me not pressing the power button properly. It seems to require more than one tap if your not at the main screen when you put it to sleep, and there is never any message that says "double-tap to unlock."
  • Boyd 1359 Points
    edited June 9
    Guess they changed it then. On my 3550, if it is out of the cradle and not connected to anything, when I press the power button I get a special screen with a green background that looks like leaves. It has a round button at the bottom with the icon of a padlock that you must tap twice.

If you only tap once or if you touch anything but the button, a message appears "Tap twice to unlock". This doesn't seem too unreasonable to me; without something like this you could accidentally turn the Nuvi on in your pocket and it would just run the battery down. Of course, the power button is so stiff, it's not likely that would happen though. :)
  • t923347 214 Points
    edited June 9
    No special screen or green background, or "tap twice" messages on the 3597. Also the power button is recessed in the the back of the Nuvi and requires a pretty good push to activate, so I'd think it would be almost impossible to turn it on accidentally. At least it's never happened to me.

I also checked my 3790 and it comes out of sleep mode with no special screen or tap messages either, IF, you put it to sleep when it was on the main menu screen. If it went to sleep while on another screen then I get the green screen and tap message like your 3550.

Obviously, they all work pretty much the same except Garmin has got rid of the double tap screen and messages on the 3597 and just let you blindly tap the power button until something happens..
  • Boyd 1359 Points
    edited June 9
    Just tried that on my 3550, and it always wants the double-tap, even if you shut it down from the main screen. I gave my 3790 to a family member, but recall they made some firmware changes in the way it woke up from sleep. In the old firmware, it would wake up on the exact same screen where you shut it down. So if you were in the middle of a menu choice, it would come back up to that same menu.

I always liked that feature and was sorry to see it go. But perhaps it was causing some kind of problems.
  • phenson 0 Points
    If I had my way, I would not only disable the double-tap screen (I'm not concerned about accidentally turning on my device), but I also think it's incredibly stupid that, when I have to hold the button down to turn it off, I also have to confirm that I want to turn it off by pushing a button on a dialogue box. I also really really would love to do away with the warning screen on startup that tells me not to enter routes in while I'm moving. Jeez, how about a little usability, ya know?
  • t923347 214 Points
    Well the warning screen at startup is Garmin's lawyer's talking and I expect it's pretty standard stuff across the industry. The alternative, of course, is to not let you do a lot of things while the vehicle is in motion, like your "in vehicle" nav system will often do. Anyway, if you just ignore the startup warning screen it will go away by itself after a few seconds without user involvement.
  • Boyd 1359 Points
    I also think it's incredibly stupid that, when I have to hold the button down to turn it off, I also have to confirm that I want to turn it off by pushing a button on a dialogue box.
    Actually, this feature saved my butt once, for a reason that isn't so obvious. I had placed a corrupt topo map file on the device and this causes a boot loop where the unit loads the maps, then restarts and does the same thing over and over. Other kinds of corrupt files can also cause this. When it happens, you cannot access the nuvi like USB disk to remove the bad file, so it's a big problem.

By pressing and holding the power button at just the right time during the boot loop, I was able to get the shutdown screen. I then cancelled the shutdown, which caused the device to properly boot but not load any maps. I was then able to access the nuvi over USB and delete the corrupt file.

So without that dialog box, this would have been a very serious problem. :)
  • phenson 0 Points
    if you just ignore the startup warning screen it will go away by itself after a few seconds without user involvement.
    I didn't know that. Thanks for that useful piece of info.