This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Junction View files

There is (somewhat of) a discussion of JCVs here:
<How to download larger junction view files from Garmin>
but it starts with knowledge that I don't have. Actually, never heard of them.

Apparently, Garmin makes available a larger file of junction views that is not installed by default. Correct?
Does this file contain additional junction views, or more detailed info on the views installed by default?

How do I know if my installed JCV file is small, large or super-size-me?

I see that all the filenames referred to have "NA" as part of them; this smells of North America to me.
Is there a super-size-me file for my map: Europe?

I find this file on my device: D3048060A.JCV
Does this tell anybody anything?

Thanks.

Comments

• t923347 432 Points
    If you have a 3590 you have the JCV file that is correct for your unit. The only Nuvi's that don't have a full JCV file automatically installed as part of the map update process are those older devices with limited internal storage space. Your 3590 with 4 or 8GB of internal storage does not suffer from a lack of space and therefore receives the file with the full complement of Junction Views.

The larger downloadable file contains many more views than what is available by default on those devices with limited storage space. The file also contains "photoreal" views which are more detailed. Again, you already have all available views at the highest "photoreal" detail.

There are in fact 3 distinct JCV files. There is a very small one (less than 100mb) which gets installed on those devices with limited storage space, by default. There is a full split screen view file (400+mb) which gets installed automatically on Nuvi models that support split screen junction views. That's the one you probably have on the 3590. And finally there is a very large (700+mb) file that gets installed automatically on models with 4 or 8GB of internal storage and NO NOT support split screen views. This is the same, or similar, file to the one which Garmin makes available for download and which you quote at the beginning of your post.

You should note that the mid size file you have on the 3590 and the very large downloadable file have exactly the same number of views. The difference in file size is due to the fact that your 3590 uses split screen views where the road map takes up half the screen and the junction view the other half and the models that use the largest file use views that take up the whole screen. This means that the view picture doesn't have to be as large as the ones that take up the whole screen and therefore the total file size is smaller.
  • Ramaprem 112 Points
    It's great to find out that there is nothing for me to do. Leaves time for going out and smelling the roses.

Many thanks for your detailed and helpful reply.
  • drugo 91 Points

There are in fact 3 distinct JCV files. There is a very small one (less than 100mb) which gets installed on those devices with limited storage space, by default. There is a full split screen view file (400+mb) which gets installed automatically on Nuvi models that support split screen junction views. That's the one you probably have on the 3590. And finally there is a very large (700+mb) file that gets installed automatically on models with 4 or 8GB of internal storage and NO NOT support split screen views. This is the same, or similar, file to the one which Garmin makes available for download and which you quote at the beginning of your post.

does it help deleting unless files of my garmin or update with a sd inserted?
    my garmin has a 4gb (i guess ) and 4gb in a sd

does it help to have a full view photo Junction View in Full View

PS i found the System\JCV\ and the file is 316 MB , is there a way to store 700 mb?
    thanks!
  • t923347 432 Points
    As explained, the 316MB file and the 700+mb file are exactly the same. The only difference is that the smaller file displays the view and the map at the same time (split screen view). Using the large file, the map disappears and only the view picture is displayed. IMO, there is no reason to download and install the 700mb file, when you already have the full compliment of views on your Nuvi.
  • drugo 91 Points
    As explained, the 316MB file and the 700+mb file are exactly the same. The only difference is that the smaller file displays the view and the map at the same time (split screen view). Using the large file, the map disappears and only the view picture is displayed. IMO, there is no reason to download and install the 700mb file, when you already have the full compliment of views on your Nuvi.
    i have the slip view not the full

using the sd , with the 700mb of file in the next update , will garmin update this file too ? i mean does garmin update the files in the sd too?

thanks
  • t923347 432 Points
    NO, it always needs to be downloaded and it must be downloaded for every map update.