This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Sharing maps

hi8ha 0 Points
edited November -1 in GPS Discussions
Hi neewbe here.
I just leaned that I can not share maps within any Tom Tom GPS. So, If my Tom Tom GPS breaks that map I bought is useless and I wouls have to purchase another map. Don't think is the best business practice though.
So when my TT kicks the bucket won't be getting another TT.
Besides Tom Tom, is there a GPS brand in which one could share maps between same brand of GPS?

Comments

• alanb 536 Points
    Not with Garmin City Navigator maps, unless you purchace the map on a pre-installed SD card. The SD card map version can be moved from one Garmin device to another, but not copied to another card. The other formats (DVD or download) are tied to a specific Garmin device.
  • hi8ha 0 Points
    Thanks for the info.
  • Boyd 1974 Points
    Moving the map from one device to another would be pretty pointless, since I don't know of any automotive GPS units you can buy that don't already include a map.

What might be more significant would be lifetime map updates, if you purchased them or if they were included. I don't know what TomTom's policy is, but with Garmin the lifetime updates are only valid for the original device and can't be transferred if it's sold. However, if it breaks and you send it to Garmin, they will transfer the update subscription to another device if it can't be fixed.
  • hi8ha 0 Points
    I was thinking not the map tha comes with the GPS but an additional map, lie western europe. This is what really happened, We used a friends TT GPS to go to Europe. We purchased(downloaded) a Western European map from TT in order to use our friends TT unit. I actually have a Megellan Road Master, the simplest model to use in my city and it is starting to fail. Was thinking of getting a TT so I could use the already purchased map.
  • alanb 536 Points
    Your example is a case where (on Garmin) purchasing the SD format of a City Navigator map makes sense, as you could keep the map card and use it on another Garmin device.
  • Boyd 1974 Points
    True - however if you downloaded a map from Garmin, as the OP did from TomTom, there would be no difference. Garmin maps purchased on DVD and via download are locked to the original device for which they are purchased.

Only the pre-loaded data cards can be used in another unit.
  • roadster 96 Points
    if they did that. then all those china Processors.......... infrigements
  • sviking 141 Points
    if they did that. then all those china Processors.......... infrigements
    It's not that. Every single version of City Navigator NA gets "cracked" and is available for download, if you know where to look.