Selling Lifetime map Updates with Garmin

I have a Garmin nuLink 1695 and Lifetime Map Updates.

When I sell my 1695 can I transfer the Lifetime Map updates to the new owner?

Comments

• Boyd 1364 Points
    I always thought the answer was "no" but I just found this at Garmin support

https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={faefc030-14c6-11de-76c5-000000000000}
    Because map updates (including the nuMaps Lifetime subscription) do not require registration, they may still be accessed if the device is sold or given away.

Lifetime updates can be accessed outside of myGarmin by connecting the device to a computer and visiting the map update page on Garmin's website: http://www.garmin.com/mapupdates
    I wonder if this is a new policy? I'm pretty sure this wasn't the case the last time I checked....
  • I have deleted a couple of times the registration of my nuvi (+ lifetime subscription separately purchased for it) from the account at MyGarmin then register it again to a new account and didn't have any issues with the map updates from the new account. Haven't enetered again the lifetime sunscription code seems it is staing with the nuvi. :roll:
  • Boyd 1364 Points
    Dug back through old posts to find the FAQ that I posted in 2010 which was simply a cut and paste from Garmin's site: http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/17905/x/p1/ So this is indeed something new; good for Garmin, I think they did the right thing. The lifetime updates now stay with the device if you sell it.

Here is the old policy
    Garmin may terminate your nüMaps Lifetime subscription at any time if you violate any of the terms of this Agreement. Your nüMaps Lifetime subscription may not be transferred to another person or another Garmin product.

Last modified on: 11/23/2009
    and here is the new policy. Notice how the words "another person or" have been removed from the new policy
    Garmin may terminate your nüMaps Lifetime subscription at any time if you violate any of the terms of this agreement or your subscription. Your nüMaps Lifetime subscription may not be transferred to another Garmin product.
    I am adding a link to this thread to our FAQ sticky on updating your maps and firmware.
  • sviking 141 Points
    Yeah, but does this apply to units that had a separate lifetime subscription added to it versus being purchased as an 'LMT' model or whatever?

I'll bet Garmin still wouldn't allow a transfer of a lifetime subscription on an older model. I've given away and sold a few, but I still "maintain" the most current map update on those units, so Garmin can go :roll: themselves on that.
  • Boyd 1364 Points
    Since I don't have any lifetime updates, I can't say. But the info above implies that any form of lifetime update is transferable using the method they describe, since the update can be performed without using "MyGarmin".

Maybe somebody can try this and let us know if it works?
    Lifetime updates can be accessed outside of myGarmin by connecting the device to a computer and visiting the map update page on Garmin's website: http://www.garmin.com/mapupdates
  • sviking 141 Points
    I already updated my units with 2013.20, but I'll have to remember to try to update one separately next time. Maybe even un-register it on myGarmin to simulate someone else completely trying to do the update. But, then again...how would "it" even know that specific unit was linked to a lifetime subscription?

Edited to add:

Since I have my old 660 handy in my office, I just tried and it looks like it should work. I didn't un-register it, but I went to that page without signing in. It found my 660 and said the maps were already up to date. I'll try un-registering it first before the next actual update to see if it was still somehow "linked" to my myGarmin account and the associated lifetime subscription. After you enter that web address above, it actually takes you to a myGarmin type page, so that's why I'm wondering if they're still connected somehow until un-registered...
  • Maybe garmin has somekind of a database where those things are recorded. Don't know, I am just thinking logical. :roll: I don't find it correct someone to be possible to update its mapping outside of his MyGarmin account. Seems odd. What if the unit is stolen? Then the person who has stoled it is going to use the lifetime updates.
  • sviking 141 Points
    Report the stolen unit to Garmin and maybe they can "de-link" the subscription. Worth a try in that situation...
  • alanb 215 Points
    Just tried this with my 755T. It does indeed seem it will update without logging in. When I got to the page that said my map was already up to date, I clicked on the tab "Device content". It showed my device S/N and showed the currently installed 2013.20, with an active link to download. I clicked the button and it took me to the Map Updater Installer page. Interestingly, the URL for this page was https://my.garmin.com/mygarmin/guestDownloads/readyToDownload.htm. I didn't proceed, but I am pretty sure I could have completed the map install at that point.

Good find Boyd.
  • alanb 215 Points
    It was reported by a member of the GPSPassion forum that if you deregister a device with a Lifetime Map subscription, it will cancel the subscription and the new owner will NOT be able to update the map using the anonymous logon link. So to me this means if you buy a used LMT nuvi on eBay or elsewhere, you still have to assume that you will not be able to update the map without purchasing a one-time or lifetime update.
  • It was reported by a member of the GPSPassion forum that if you deregister a device with a Lifetime Map subscription, it will cancel the subscription and the new owner will NOT be able to update the map using the anonymous logon link. So to me this means if you buy a used LMT nuvi on eBay or elsewhere, you still have to assume that you will not be able to update the map without purchasing a one-time or lifetime update.
    @alanb
    Since it appears the new policy took effect in August of 2012, I am wondering if the post you saw on GPSPassion forum was before the policy took effect. I tried doing a search at that site but was unable to find the post you describe. Is it possible to post the link to that post?

If by unregistering the device and the new owner registering it, if they can't download a map update I see no benefit from the new policy that has removed the wording " another person”.
  • t923347 thanks for the link, very infomative post.

Actually it's not all that bad since a new owner would not be forced to register the Nuvi to receive the benefits of Lifetime Updates and being able to download firmware updates and softwareusing WebUpdater.
    As we know WebUpdater does not require the unit to be registered.

The only negative which is minimal, is that the original owner will see the sold Nuvi in his account when he signs in. Just ignore the registration entry and all is well.