Third party software?

makem 41 Points
Is there a source for 3rd party software, either free or commercial?

The other night I needed a compass whilst on foot. Just needed to know exactly where North was.

Comments

• Boyd 1317 Points
    Only a few of the nuvi's actually have a compass inside, so it isn't necessarily an issue of software. However the only third party "software" for Garmin would be maps and POI's. There are no third party "apps". Garmin is a closed system. Devices based on Windows CE (Magellan, Navigon and lots of smaller brands) can sometimes run alternative software.
  • popej 52 Points
    Would you like to have compass in your nuvi? This is hardware feature, which is present only in selected devices. I think nuvi 2360 has compass and some Asian models too.

Most nuvis can show north when moving, but it could be difficult to read direction while walking.
  • Maybe if you set a waypoint in the North Pole and your nuvi is set to offroad mode and to navigate to that point you can have very similar thing to a compass.
  • makem 41 Points
    My Nuvi is a 3590. It displays an arrow pointing North with track up selected. You can also select North up. However when on foot your movement is so small, you can turn 180 deg and the indication does not move.
    I seem to remember TomTom having a compass facility. In the past I have always used a PDA with TT installed so was able to install apps. I am going to miss that.
    I don' think you can have an 'off road' setting. You can choose from car or foot but but are based on the map of the city where you are so it does not show straight line North, rather shwing the next road.turn to take.
    Also, when I bought the Garmin I didn't know I was going to but a new Ford B-MAX which can have GPS factory installed. Now I will need to find somewhere to attach the Nuvi. What a benefit hindsight would be.
  • t923347 203 Points
    However when on foot your movement is so small, you can turn 180 deg and the indication does not move.
    Is that still the case when you have your Nuvi in Pedestrian mode?
  • makem 41 Points
    However when on foot your movement is so small, you can turn 180 deg and the indication does not move.

Is that still the case when you have your Nuvi in Pedestrian mode?
    I was in my small garden, walking around in pedestrian mode to try to find which way my TV antenna was pointing. I thought it was pointing towards London but wanted to be sure. I tried both car a pedestrian modes but neither could help. I didn't try walking some distance.
  • popej 52 Points
    GPS can compute direction only when moving. It shows correctly north arrow assuming that upper edge of screen is heading at movement direction. It should be enough to move at walking speed but at the same time is quite difficult to watch screen when walking. That's why build in compass is very handy in outdoor GPS - map could be properly oriented regardless of moving speed.
  • makem 41 Points
    Yes, I find the Garmin Nuvi 3590 has a 'Differential Compass', so as stated, you need to be moving.

http://www.tracklogs.co.uk/cgi-bin/publ/user.cgi?obj=support&mod=kbase&view=15885925