This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

My 1490 LMT Favorites List is corrupted.

Since I upgraded to CNNANT 2013.20 I notice that my favorites list has a lot of numerical POI, that duplicate POI I've already put on the nuvi. I recall that sussamb replied to this in May, when something similar happened, but I can't find that answer.

So I have two questions:
1) What file are the favorites backed up in, so I can back it up before I update maps?
2) Is there a way to edit the duplicates away?

Comments

• Boyd 2009 Points
    Favorites, tracks and routes are all in the Current.gpx file. You can open this in basecamp (or just drag the All Data folder from the Nuvi to your library in Basecamp). Then you can delete any duplicates there manually.

That seems to be a common problem with the 1xx0 series, we've seen a number of post about it. Of course, Current.gpx is just a "data dump" of the waypoints that are stored internally. After cleaning them up, use the menus on the Nuvi to delete all favorites then make sure there are no .gpx files on the device that might cause them to automatically be restored. You can then use Basecamp to send your edited waypoints back to the Nuvi.

I suppose you could also manually delete the bogus waypoints on the Nuvi itself, if there are only a few and if you don't want to mess with Basecamp.

You mentioned POI's above, but I think you already know that POI's and favorites are completely different things. :)

• You mentioned POI's above, but I think you already know that POI's and favorites are completely different things. :)
    Well, sorta. I'm assuming that Favorites are a list of Points of Interest, or addresses. I'm aware that with a POI loader you can load tagged lat/long pairs to somewhere on a GPSr. Not exactly sure where though. I'm also aware that folks frequently refer to points on a map as POI, especially when they are tagged with something like services.
  • Boyd 2009 Points
    On the Nuvi, favorites are just waypoints and can be accessed by Where To > Favorites. If there's an address associated with a favorite, then it would just be the waypoint name (automatically assigned when you save a favorite after searching for an address, for example).

POI's are part of the map data (in the .img file). You can load your own with POI loader but they will not show up as favorites.

So if the corrupted names you're seeing are in the list of favorites, they are waypoints and you can fix them as I described above. If you're seeing other weird names when you search for POI, then a hard reset may fix that.
  • Actually, the corruptions are categories with names like 12.2 or January.14, and I've been able to delete the categories by removing the categories from the waypoints. REI for example showed up as shopping, but it also showed up as 12.2. If I did a WhereTo to either of the categories I could edit the waypoint and remove it from any corrupted categories. Enough of that and the categories no longer show in the nuvi, but I'm not sure where they've gone.

Transferring the current.gpx to BaseCamp didn't work, because there was a read error to the current.gpx on connecting. I then copied the current.gpx to my desktop and opened it with GM and Topofusion. When I copied those back to the nuvi, the corrupt categories were still there, but the read error went away. After I deleted the corrupt categories and reconnected the read error came back.
  • Boyd 2009 Points
    Weird. But this sounds like similar reports that we've heard. Of course, that is why you should backup your favorites on a regular basis... :)
  • sussamb 829 Points
    The good news here is that you've managed to fix it.

Your experience is similar to mine, in that these additional categories don't occur spontaneously, but often happen after a map or software update. I guess as well as regularly backing up current.gpx the prudent ones amongst us would also back up current.gpx before any map/software update :wink:
  • Boyd 2009 Points
    I guess as well as regularly backing up current.gpx the prudent ones amongst us would also back up current.gpx before any map/software update :wink:
    Really, all you need to do is back it up whenever you make changes (add or delete favorites). If you do this, then you don't need to take any specific actions before updating maps and software. :)

At any rate, this is what I've been doing ever since I got my first GPS and it works for me.
  • sussamb 829 Points
    Yep, that would work too :)