This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Nuvi 3490 "Safely Remove hardware"

How to remove nuvi 3490 "Safely Remove hardware"
Because I don’t see on my computer to remove safety I just remove the usb cable but I’m afraid to damage the system files on Nuvi ? :roll:

Comments

• t923347 391 Points
    If you find the Safely Remove Icon in the Windows Taskbar (lower right corner of the screen) you should be able to click on it and then click on the Nuvi entry that will be listed there. The Safely Remove icon is the one that looks like a small USB connector with the green checkmark in the lower right.

You may need to click on the small up arrow at the left end of the taskbar to see the Safely Remove Icon.
  • Lafaiete 0 Points
    edited September 2012
    Thanks, I have look watt you sad but it’s not there , I know where to remove a drive safety or USB etc. the question is way the 3490 don’t appears on the to remove safety I don’t know if is because the ( MTP (Media Transfer Protocol )
  • alanb 327 Points
    For some reason, I do not get the "Safely remove" option with my nuvi 855 on my laptop (Windows Vista 64). But if I go to MyComputer, and right click on the nuvi drive and the SD slot drive, I do have the "Eject" option. So I use that.
  • SergZak 240 Points
    3490 don’t appears on the to remove safety I don’t know if is because the ( MTP (Media Transfer Protocol )
    It could very well be because the nuvi is set to MTP mode. You can change it to Mass Storage mode if you wish. See the following link (thanks Boyd!):

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?24857-BaseCamp-amp-Nuvi-2555-Safely-Remove-Hardware&p=118431#post118431

I couldn't find the above info here...maybe I just didn't search enough.

Edit: Ah, there it is:

forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/21019/x/p1/#165763
  • Thanks....SergZak :)
  • drugo 41 Points
    3490 don’t appears on the to remove safety I don’t know if is because the ( MTP (Media Transfer Protocol )

It could very well be because the nuvi is set to MTP mode. You can change it to Mass Storage mode if you wish. See the following link (thanks Boyd!):

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?24857-BaseCamp-amp-Nuvi-2555-Safely-Remove-Hardware&p=118431#post118431

I couldn't find the above info here...maybe I just didn't search enough.

Edit: Ah, there it is:

forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/21019/x/p1/#165763
    but the mtp is the default mode , so do you think could damage disconnect the garmin unplugging the usb cable?

in mtp mode can i backup every files of my garmin?
    or doesn't show in Mtp some files?

thanks!
  • AndreyT 104 Points
    Nuvi devices work in MTP (Media Transfer Protiocol) mode by default. They come in MTP mode from the box. They revert to MTP mode after factory reset.

In MTP mode there's no need for any "Safely Remove..." commands. You can disconnect an MTP device from the computer at any time (as long as you are not interrupting a transfer operation). It will result in no adverse effects on the device.

Not all files stored internally on Nuvi will be visible in MTP mode. You have to manually switch the device to MSC (Mass Storage Class) mode to see everything.

If you switch the device to MSC mode, then you will have to remember to do "Safely Remove..." before you disconnect it from the computer. But, again, this is only necessary (and available) with Nuvi is MSC mode.
  • Boyd 1678 Points
    Nuvi devices work in MTP (Media Transfer Protiocol) mode by default.
    Hold on there. :D Only *some* Nuvi's default to MTP mode. I thought it was all of the 2012 models, had an e-mail from Rich Owings recently who says his 2495 defaulted to a USB disk.

I don't have a 2012 model myself - my newest Nuvi is a 3790 and it is a Mass Storage device. I would like to see a little more clarity regarding which models are natively configured for MTP since it would help with answering questions we see here.
  • I don't pay much attention to the "safely remove hardware" notification any more. The primary reason it's there is that sometimes there might be a delay in writing data to the USB device, but it's generally not much of a delay. I just make sure that windows explorer, and any other application that might be reading or writing to the nuvi, is closed, then wait a couple minutes for any read/write activity to finish up before I unplug.

I might be living dangerously, but in more than 10 years of doing this in XP/Vista/7, I have yet to corrupt anything.
  • WAASup 81 Points
    edited September 2012
    I would like to see a little more clarity regarding which models are natively configured for MTP since it would help with answering questions we see here.
    Here you go...

MTP mode models
    https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId=%7B2c197420-8419-11e1-6a4c-000000000000%7D

MSC mode models
    https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId=%7B1e363b70-fed6-11dd-ffba-000000000000%7D

EDIT: forgot to add this...
    Hold on there. :D Only *some* Nuvi's default to MTP mode. I thought it was all of the 2012 models, had an e-mail from Rich Owings recently who says his 2495 defaulted to a USB disk.
    Out of the box, my 2595 came in MTP mode... I had to go into developer options and switch it to USB to do a backup.
  • Boyd 1678 Points
    Good find! Here's the list, so that you don't need to click on the link
    The following devices use MTP mode:

nuvi 2405 series
    nuvi 2505 series
    nuvi 3400 series
    nuvi 3500 series
    zumo 350
    dezl 760
    But this may be the missing piece of the puzzle that explains why some people get different results
    MTP connectivity requires the following:

Windows XP with service pack 3 or later
    Windows Media Player 11 or later

If the above system requirements are not met, or you are using the device on a Mac, the device will connect to the computer using standard mass storage mode instead of MTP mode.
  • SergZak 240 Points
    But this may be the missing piece of the puzzle that explains why some people get different results
    Good find yourself! 8)