This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Nuvi 3760 stuck on loading maps

I updated my new Nuvi 3760 from the Garmin site and now it doesn't turn on. It is stalled at "loading maps." Also, the device is no longer recognized by my computer. I've tried a soft reset and the hard reset (at the copyright page depressing the right bottom corner) and neither work. Help!

Debra

Comments

• Boyd 1781 Points
    This is usually caused by a corrupt file - possibly the map itself. There is a trick for getting past this on the 3700 series, I had to do it once with my 3790.

As it starts up when it says loading maps, or possibly at the copyright notice if it gets that far, press and hold down the power button. You will probably have to try this a number of times in order to pick the exact moment.

But if you get it right, the Nuvi should display a message "Turn off the device?" along with an "off" and "cancel" button. Press the cancel button. The nuvi should then complete the startup sequence without loading the map and other files. It won't be much good to you like this, but the computer should now recognize it.

Before doing anything else, backup all files - see How to backup your Nuvi

Now you can run the Map Update again and hopefully it will fix the problem.
  • alanb 372 Points
    That is an excellent tip and explanation Boyd. I think you should link it to the troubleshooting sticky.
  • Worked like a charm the first time! Thanks so much.
  • Boyd 1781 Points
    Great, glad that it worked. Added a link to this thread in our troubleshooting FAQ.
  • arnolds 1 Point
    edited February 17
    Hoping someone still looking at this old thread. Have tried the tip above on my 3790; the buttons "off" and "cancel" do show up but are dead also. Any other ideas to get beyond "loading maps"?
    Just before this problem appeared the unit was working fine, but I was trying unsuccessfully to get it in mass storage mode - was not visible on PC.
  • Boyd 1781 Points
    I responded to your other thread. http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/30791/3790-bricked Please don't post the same thing in two threads, it makes the discussion harder to follow. Thanks.