This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Voice annotation for waypoints.

sgbotsford 0 Points
edited November -1 in GPS Discussions
The text entry system for every GPS I've used ranges from pathetic to awful. I'm not fond even of text entry on my smart phone.

My wish is to have a microphone (either directly on the GPS or via bluetooth to a head mike) so that I can hit a button to mark a waypoint. While the mark button is depressed, the mike is live, and I can dictate a quick verbal note about what I've marked. Back at home, the comptuer software slurps up the waypoint file, and sends the data off to be be converted to text, then rewrites the waypoint file with the text as a comment. This, then I can re-edit as I see fit.

Any rumours of such a capability?

Comments

• alanb 533 Points
    I have read that some of the Magellan Explorist handheld units have a microphone for recording voice notes. I have no first hand experience with them, so I don't know if they would be suitable for your purpose.
  • Boyd 1966 Points
    The Triton 2000 has a microphone. That came to mind when I read this, but I really don't think it would do what you want. Seems like some kind of app running on a smartphone would be the most likely possibility, but I don't know what might be available.