This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Making Customized Dashboards

Comments

• mkpcxxl 31 Points
    Great to hear this.
    I will wait with (im)patience for this files. :D

Thanks Boyd for your work.

Greetings
    mkpcxxl
  • SergZak 240 Points
    Here's a little preview of what can be done using Custom Dashboards along with Custom Map Themes. Although I don't really use my GPS in portrait mode as in this screen shot, I thought I'd have a look at it at least. Now I may have to switch over to portrait...but then I'd be spoiled as the nuvi 750 in the other car of course doesn't support it.

Custom Dashboard credit goes of course to Boyd. The Map Theme is my own.

You guys that will want to be modifying your own Dashboard will really appreciate Boyd's article/tutorial! :D

• Boyd 1953 Points
    Cool! 8) Glad to see that it works. And that's a mighty nice looking City Navigator theme also.

I can't believe you don't use portrait mode though! That was one of the great innovations that the 37x0 brought us. Well, maybe back to the future would be more accurate, since the GPS II had it more than 10 years ago...

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-trail/discontinued/gps-ii-/prod50.html
  • malatekid 82 Points
    Does the "Nuvi 34x0 or 35x0" include 3597? I know, it shows "0" at the end but I may not be reading it correctly. :wink:

These files should give you the building blocks you need to create your own custom dashboard files. But if programming isn't your thing, you could simply drop them into the dashboard folder on your Nuvi 34x0 or 35x0 and use as-is.
  • Boyd 1953 Points
    I'm afraid you are reading it correctly. Dashboards were removed from the 2013 models. Good reason to get a 2012 model IMO. :wink:

BTW, the article is finished and Tim has all the files. He's not returning to the US for another week but is having a look at everything in the meantime. At this point, the ball is in his court. :)
  • philhu 91 Points
    Any more word on this being released?
  • Boyd 1953 Points
    Please read my previous posts, there is no update. Tim just returned to the US on Wednesday. The article is done but he will need time to put it online.

Patience is a virtue... :)
  • philhu 91 Points
    Please read my previous posts, there is no update. Tim just returned to the US on Wednesday. The article is done but he will need time to put it online.

Patience is a virtue... :)
    I had. I had misread your previous posts. My fault.
  • Boyd 1953 Points
    No problem, I realize the wait is frustrating. But we just need to give Tim a little time to catch up on things. The article is quite long - 25 single spaced pages of text plus a lot of illustrations and the download package. It will take some time to put it into the correct format for the site.

But it's coming, it's coming... :D
  • Tim 1467 Points
    Yup.... coming very soon. Hopefully tomorrow. I've been traveling for 11 weeks and just getting home so I'm trying to catch up on everything.
  • aphex4000 0 Points
    Hello everyone! I hope this question isn't too far out in left field, but would it be possible for me to edit the appearance of ecoRouteHD gauges with this application?
  • Boyd 1953 Points
    Sorry, I have been up in New York for a few days without my computer and just returned home.

I'm not sure what "application" you're talking about. The discussion here has been about an article that will appear soon on making customized dashboards. There's no application associated with this, you need to edit a text file containing XML code and some images in photoshop if you want to create your own dashboards. This is described in great detail in the article.

Garmin hasn't documented any of this, so the article is based on my own examination of the code. I don't know how ecoroute HD works, I've never seen it, don't have a compatible Nuvi and am frankly not very interested. I think it's part of the device firmware however. If so, that would make it very difficult to modify.

Dashboards are just little files that you drop in the dashboard folder. Firmware is the binary code that gives the GPS a brain. It must be installed into protected memory using special techniques and there's a high risk of turning your Nuvi into "brick" if make any mistakes along the way. :twisted:
  • aphex4000 0 Points

Garmin hasn't documented any of this, so the article is based on my own examination of the code. I don't know how ecoroute HD works, I've never seen it, don't have a compatible Nuvi and am frankly not very interested. I think it's part of the device firmware however. If so, that would make it very difficult to modify.

Ok, thanks for the clarification :)
  • philhu 91 Points
    Did the dashboard article ever come out?
  • SergZak 240 Points
    Did the dashboard article ever come out?
    The place to check would be here:
    http://www.gpsreview.net/
  • Tim 1467 Points
    Hopefully later today... working on it.
  • popej 57 Points
    If there is nuvi instead of nüvi, there could be dezl instead of dēzl ;)
  • Tim 1467 Points
    All 3 sections are now posted and interlinked. There are likely formatting issues here and there to work out so hang in there as we address the issues.
  • mkpcxxl 31 Points
    Hey, cool, thanks for the work.

greetings
    mkpcxxl
  • SergZak 240 Points
    Thank you Tim and thank you Boyd! 8)
  • Boyd 1953 Points
    Cool Tim. Took a very quick look, won't have time to read closely for another day or so. Only issue I noticed is that the code snippets are in a REALLY tiny font, like 4 points maybe. I can barely read them in my browser. Can they be made larger without creating some kind of problem?

Thanks for all your work and support on this project! :)
  • Tim 1467 Points
    code snippets are in a REALLY tiny font
    Yes, one of the things on my list.
  • Tim 1467 Points
    It is fixed now, but due to server caching you might not see the change for 24 hours or so.
  • Boyd 1953 Points
    Nope, the change is visible right now when I look at the article. Big improvement - THANKS! :)
  • crazyfingers 106 Points
    It sure would be nice if for 2014 they brought the dashboards back and posted a whole bunch like they do the different cars for download. It would be ridiculously easy for them to do.

Unfortunately among the several that come pre-loaded on the 3590, only a minority strike me as efficient. Many are very wasteful of screen space. Thought I'm satisfied enough with the two that have 4 relatively efficiently laid out data fields, the rest I'd never use.

I wonder if there is a way to allow some of the more programming oriented among those here to lost their dashboards for sharing?
  • Boyd 1953 Points
    It sure would be nice if for 2014 they brought the dashboards back and posted a whole bunch
    Ain't gonna happen.

Did you download the examples and try the 7-field dashboard? No programming knowledge is needed for that. :D

http://img.gpsreview.net/wp-content/uploads/dashboard_download.zip
    It sure would be nice if for 2014 they brought the dashboards back and posted a whole bunch

Ain't gonna happen.

Did you download the examples and try the 7-field dashboard? No programming knowledge is needed for that. :D

http://img.gpsreview.net/wp-content/uploads/dashboard_download.zip
    Hey! I must have missed that link. Thanks. I will try them.

Sorry if I missed why you think that they won't bring it back. Have they provided a reason? It's one of the best innovations they have had and they kill it in one year.
    I really like the 7 field one. I will need to see though if the text is too small for my aging eyes. As it is I usually need to keep my reading glasses low and tilt my head up to read the text on the GPS anyway. It's now a habit that I have to live with.
  • Boyd 1953 Points
    Sorry if I missed why you think that they won't bring it back. Have they provided a reason?
    "They" have not said anything. Just my humble opinion. Don't let me stop you from wishing. You might also win the lottery in 2014. :D
  • Boyd,

Well it was worth the wait. And the 7 field dashboard is killer - it will be my dashboard of choice as it is way better than the ones you coached me to their final state.

Thanks for your efforts, great job!

:D
  • Boyd 1953 Points
    Great - thanks!

It's my hope that the tutorial will "prime the pump" and lead to more user-contributed dashboards. :D
  • EKEagle 16 Points
    Thank you Boyd! Also Tim and everyone else who were involved, thanks! :D
  • I didn't make a new dashboard but I did modify Garmin's 3590 "GarminGlass_800x480.dshb" dashboard. Here's the info:

(1) Made the field backgrounds transparent allowing a full screen view of the map.
    (2) Changed each field position on the dashboard to my preferences.
    (3) Changed the width of each field to allow for a wider "speed/speed limit" field.
    (4) Lowered the vehicle position to see more of the map in the direction of travel. The vehicle position returns to normal if in the "north up" mode.

While I have been using this and like it I switched to Boyd's killer 7 field dashbaord - thanks again Boyd.

:D
  • Boyd 1953 Points
    Nice! Hope everyone will post screenshots of their dashboards in this thread. Or just post a screenshot my dashboard while driving around your own neighborhood. :)
  • Boyd,

I also changed a theme. It is in the above pictures. I used the Great Britain theme and changed some highway and road colors. I didn't like the gray urban areas on the Garmin theme.

All this possible with your coaching. :D

Thanks again.
  • waldru 0 Points
    My first dashboard - optimized for motobike use. Big data font to read without glasses :D
    @Boyd
    Thanks for the tutorial

• Pirate 0 Points
    Where are the dashboard files / folder located? I have the new RV 760LMT and would like to drop the 7 file into something to get the better dashboard.
    Just looked again. The 760LMT has not dashboard folder. Can I make one? Will it do any good? Thlanks.
    Thanks.
  • SergZak 240 Points
    I don't think the RV 760LMT is dashboard capable. I believe the supported units are specifically mentioned in the tutorial instructions. If you do not have dashboard settings under Settings>Map & Vehicle>Dashboards (or similar), the your unit is NOT dashboard capable.
  • Boyd 1953 Points
    I'm afraid Sergey is right. I beleive the list of dashboard compatible Nuvis in the article is correct. They are all 2012 models. THe RV 760 is a 2013 model. If you wanted dashboards, the dexl 760 would have been the model to buy. :)
  • philhu 91 Points
    It is just amazing to me that Garmin would ADD dashboards for 1 model year

They seem to not understand that a GUI that is mostly the same between models is conducive to people upgrading. They change everything all that time.
  • Boyd 1953 Points
    I don't know.... maybe Garmin feels that the dashboard idea was ill-conceived? All they really did with them was offer gimmicks like Sesame Street and Star Wars dashboards (I'll bet they paid a steep licensing cost for that nonsense too).

Then they had some new user interface ideas with active lane guidance and slide out tabs. Dashboards really wouldn't fit into that very well. Aside from the people participating in this thread, I don't think many people will mourn the loss of dashboards.

But I'm glad I got a 3550 and really like tweaking the user interface to my personal liking. :)
  • Ya maybe. I have no use for the cutey crap that most of the preloaded dashboards do. They are screen hogs and don't provide the data fields. There are only two pre-loaded ones that I'd ever use, both the 4 data field ones.

I am currently using the 7 data field dashboard that Boyd made though I think that for me a 5 would be ideal.

I do really wonder what if any feedback Garmin looks at when designing the screen elements. Surely the amount of data that people want to have showing is going to be one of the areas where users will be all over the map (a pun) in terms of their preferences and providing a strong set of options for number of data fields to show, data selection, font size, etc.. would be something that would not be hard to implement with or without the dashboard function. Lack of choice on the 2013 models was a deal- breaker for me on my recent purchase.

On a similar situation, the map themes could stand some improvement and better options. As it is, most of the ones they provide are almost or exactly identical. In bright light I've found that many are very hard to see. The dark gray main background vs road colors do not make it easy to see on a bright day (The 3590 screen brightness is lacking to begin with when compared the the 3790. Set at 100% brightness the 3590 is on the hairy edge of bright enough and much less bright than the 3790).

I've setted on Osterreich because it has the brightest background but with that theme the color difference between actual highways and regular commuter roads is too close. It sure appears to me that Garmin just doesn't give any thought to these things.
  • Here's a little preview of what can be done using Custom Dashboards along with Custom Map Themes. Although I don't really use my GPS in portrait mode as in this screen shot, I thought I'd have a look at it at least. Now I may have to switch over to portrait...but then I'd be spoiled as the nuvi 750 in the other car of course doesn't support it.

Custom Dashboard credit goes of course to Boyd. The Map Theme is my own.

You guys that will want to be modifying your own Dashboard will really appreciate Boyd's article/tutorial! :D

That one fixes so much of what I was complaining about above for map themes. I wish I had it....
  • SergZak 240 Points
    On a similar situation, the map themes could stand some improvement and better options. As it is, most of the ones they provide are almost or exactly identical.
    You can see some of my modified map themes (screen shots) here (scroll down for more):

http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/25501/x/p1/#187223

There's also one in portrait mode in this thread on this page...just scroll up.

If you want, I can email you my modified themes or provide a download link to them if you want to use them. PM me (go to the top of this page and click on "You have no new messages"). If I've already shared them with you, apologies since I have shared them with a few users and can't correctly associate the name "crazyfingers" with anyone in particular. :?
  • SergZak 240 Points
    That one fixes so much of what I was complaining about above for map themes. I wish I had it....
    OK, I sent you a PM.
  • That one fixes so much of what I was complaining about above for map themes. I wish I had it....
    OK, I sent you a PM.
    Thanks a ton! I'll play with them tonight!
  • Boyd 1953 Points
    The 3590 screen brightness is lacking to begin with when compared the the 3790. Set at 100% brightness the 3590 is on the hairy edge of bright enough and much less bright than the 3790
    I've only seen one other post to this effect - maybe it was also from you? Maybe Garmin uses different display panels on some units - they certainly did with some of the earlier series (like the 7x0 IIRC).

But I had a 3790 for 3 years and gave it to a family member several months ago. I think the screen on my 3550 is every bit as good. I haven't had an issue seeing it under any lighting conditions, and even if there were a difference, the additional screen area more than compensates in terms of visibility.

Are your comments based on wearing polarized sunglasses maybe? I have prescription polaroid lenses, and perceived screen brightness is highest with the device in portrait mode. When you rotate it to landscape mode, it dims down a bit but not enough to be an issue for me.
  • The 3590 screen brightness is lacking to begin with when compared the the 3790. Set at 100% brightness the 3590 is on the hairy edge of bright enough and much less bright than the 3790

Are your comments based on wearing polarized sunglasses maybe? I have prescription polaroid lenses, and perceived screen brightness is highest with the device in portrait mode. When you rotate it to landscape mode, it dims down a bit but not enough to be an issue for me.
    I'm afraid not. I don't wear sunglasses when driving mainly because I need reading glasses to read the text on the GPS (Another reason to allow for a font size setting).

I still have the 3790 right here and side by side, 100% on both, portrait or landscape, the 3790 is significantly brighter both set at 100% daytime and same map theme. No doubt about it.

Unless there is a fault with my 3590, which I am doubtful, there is no doubt that it can't get as bright as the 3790.
  • The 3590 screen brightness is lacking to begin with when compared the the 3790. Set at 100% brightness the 3590 is on the hairy edge of bright enough and much less bright than the 3790

I've only seen one other post to this effect - maybe it was also from you?
    BTW, no. It wasn't me who said that previously.