This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Making Customized Dashboards

Comments

• Boyd 1980 Points
    OK, so that's two people who don't like the 35x0 screen after a year and a half of discussion. ;)

Personally, I don't care what they look like side by side and no longer have the 3790 to compare. I just know that the screen on my 3550 looks great under all the conditions I've encountered - even with polaroid glasses. So it's "bright enough" for me.

But different people may perceive things differently.
  • OK, so that's two people who don't like the 35x0 screen after a year and a half of discussion. ;)

Personally, I don't care what they look like side by side and no longer have the 3790 to compare. I just know that the screen on my 3550 looks great under all the conditions I've encountered - even with polaroid glasses. So it's "bright enough" for me.

But different people may perceive things differently.
    Now that I have your 7 field dash and SergZak's custom themes I think that I will be quite happy. I have figured out the best angle to put the 3590 so that screen glare is no longer a problem. It's tilted at the roof. Since I rarely open the sunroof it works.
  • SergZak 340 Points
    OK, so that's two people who don't like the 35x0 screen after a year and a half of discussion. ;)
    I'll chime in here (as usual)...I have both my 3790 and the newer 3490 and using direct side-by-side comparison, the 3790 is brighter then the 3490. I have to drop the 3790's brightness setting down ~3 clicks (30%) for the 3490 to equal it's brightness. This is with the 3490 set to 100% brightness. To clarify:

3490 100%
    3790 70%
    =both units at approximate visual screen brightness

I've also read that the 35x0 screen is dimmer than the 3490 when both are set to the same brightness percentage. So if you compare the 3790 with the 3590, the brightness will be markedly different.

OTOH, as Boyd says, if it's bright enough for you personally, it's not an issue.

Bringing up the 3790 however, It's screen is very bright. I remember when I was using it regularly, it's nighttime brightness setting was simply -too- bright: 10% was too bright and the next setting down of 0% was too dark. Maybe they tweaked the entire brightness scale beginning with the 34xx series since I believe the 34xx uses the exact same LCD panel as the 37xx. In fact, I believe they are likely identical in hardware according to some of what I've read and are just running different firmware.
  • Boyd 1980 Points
    Bringing up the 3790 however, It's screen is very bright. I remember when I was using it regularly, it's nighttime brightness setting was simply -too- bright: 10% was too bright and the next setting down of 0% was too dark.
    So true Sergey. The 3590 is much better in this regard. I think I have it set to 30% or 40% for night. But I think this is very dependent on where you drive at night. Out in the middle of nowhere - where I live - there are very few streetlights and I dim down all the auto instrument lights to the minimum and want the GPS very dim also. Driving around the city or suburbs, it can be quite a bit brighter and not bother me.

My XM radio is the real pain though. Doesn't recognize different day/night settings. The 0 setting is still on the bright side at night, but almost invisible at noon. And changing brightness means digging into the menus. :evil:
  • Boyd 1980 Points
    Leave it to Popej to find interesting things that most of us miss. :)

Here's a link to an RV dashboard intended for the dezl 760. I have not tried using it, and from a quick look it doesn't appear to have any new features not covered in the article. Also, Popej reports that it doesn't work properly in portrait mode (the dezl 760 doesn't have portrait mode).

You can download it here:

http://www.garmin.com/software/Dashboard,RV-800x480_140.rgn
  • SergZak 340 Points
    I'm wondering what on earth it looks like. :shock: I may try it later on and post a screenshot.
  • popej 57 Points
    RV dashboard on nuvi 34xx:

Probably Garmin has never tried portrait mode ;)
  • Garmin seems to think that decoration is more important than function. I don't get why they like to unnecessarily use screen space.
  • SergZak 340 Points
    RV dashboard on nuvi 34xx:
    Thanks, popej...good thing I didn't waste my time on that, it has to be the absolute UGLIEST dashboard I've ever seen. :roll:
  • Boyd 1980 Points
    The portrait issue is interesting. I'm thinking they just threw "whatever" at that because it isn't intended to ever be used in portrait mode.

Working on the article, I wondered if it was required to have both a portrait and landscape definition in the various functions. I think I tried a landscape only and it didn't work.

So I'm guessing that you must have a portrait definition even if the dashboard was created for a device that can't use it.

Also, I'm curious how dashboards interact with the Active Lane Guidance feature. If anyone with a dezl 760 tries the custom dashboards, please post some screenshots!

I actually thought about getting one myself after playing for awhile, but summer fun in NYC and a new computer purchase have left me a bit tapped at the moment. ;)

But a dashboard with small text would look very nice on that big screen. And the unit "felt" just like my 3550 in terms of scrolling, zooming, etc. Too bad it doesn't have a multi-touch screen or portrait mode. If the price eventually drops low enough, it would be a fun toy someday. :)
  • philhu 91 Points
    Has anyone taken Boyd's 7 field dashboard and converted it to the smaller 2595 screen?

I haven't had time (my laptop AND Desktop died wthin 7 hours of each other). I've been swamped getting them working (Bad video card/bad memory/overnight testing/try this/try that/etc/etc).

Now my cable is acting up (FIOS/V58 errors on my cable boxes (no authorization, known problem for others).

I'd love to get this working and I would reciprocate when I have time to build a new dashboard

Phil
  • Boyd 1980 Points
    Will be interested to see screenshots if anyone does this. Really, I'm a little skeptical of how well it will work. I think it's going to be pretty crowded on a 480x272 screen. Several people have already commented that this dashboard can be hard to read on an 800x480 screen.
  • SergZak 340 Points
    Several people have already commented that this dashboard can be hard to read on an 800x480 screen.
    I can read it just fine with reading glasses...don't know if I'd want to drive with them on to be able to read it though...they'd have to be hanging off the end of my nose. :lol:
  • I can read it just fine with reading glasses...don't know if I'd want to drive with them on to be able to read it though...they'd have to be hanging off the end of my nose. :lol:
    That's my life in car or out. Look straight, no glasses, look down, reading glasses. I've become used to it.
  • Boyd 1980 Points
    There was this guy Ben (maybe you've heard of him) who invented something called bifocals.... :lol:
  • SergZak 340 Points
    There was this guy Ben (maybe you've heard of him) who invented something called bifocals.... :lol:
    Like I keep saying, I learn something new here all the time... :P
  • Boyd 1980 Points
    :lol:
  • mkpcxxl 31 Points
    Hi Boyd,

played a little bit with your seven field dashboard.
    Changed the color in blue for the european blue version of the 3590.

Now for me it's perfect.
    Thanks again for your work and the inspiration to change dashboards.

Greetings
    mkpcxxl
  • Boyd 1980 Points
    Cool! 8) Looks like the German field titles are a little too big to fit though. :wink:
  • mkpcxxl 31 Points
    Yes, they are a little bit long, but I can live with it... :D
  • popej 57 Points
    You can try to edit titles too. They should be in \Text\de_DE.glx file, which can be edited with text editor.
  • Boyd 1980 Points
    If you make changes there, will it affect other places where those words might be used?
  • popej 57 Points
    One have to try. There are multiple translations for the same word, maybe their use is limited to specific screens only.
  • mkpcxxl 31 Points
    @popej: Yes, until now it works, changed the words and now they fit into the buttons. Thank you for this.
    Will try to drive in the next days with my 3590 to see if the changes affect other things.

Greetings
    mkpcxxl
  • Boyd 1980 Points
    That worked really well - thanks for testing this! 8)
  • mkpcxxl 31 Points
    Now I've tested this also and worked really well. No problems with the changes.

Greetings
    mkpcxxl
  • Ben's bifocals were destined to be headed to the antique store when Essilor invented Varilux progressive lenses in 1958. The only way to fly!!!
  • I have built a custom 480x272 dash based on the Garmin Glass with 2 extra fields image
  • An Interesting thing about the RV Dashboard is that it uses tiling.

tiling_method="expand_horiz" />
  • I have a design based on the Garmin Glass which has a center speed/speed limit and 3 fields either side making 8 in total and it is easily readable
  • Boyd 1980 Points
    An Interesting thing about the RV Dashboard is that it uses tiling.
    Cool - good catch! 8)
  • mkpcxxl 31 Points
    I have a design based on the Garmin Glass which has a center speed/speed limit and 3 fields either side making 8 in total and it is easily readable
    Hi twingo69, any chance to see a photo or a download?

Greets
    mkpcxxl
  • If you give me an email I will do, not sure how to attach a file or photo on this site
  • Boyd 1980 Points
    To post a photo, you need to find another site to host it. Then just post a link to the photo and use the img tags like this

• mkpcxxl 31 Points
    If you give me an email I will do, not sure how to attach a file or photo on this site
    mkpcxxl@orange.es
  • image/img]
  • Boyd 1980 Points
    Nice job twingo! 8)

Here is my current favorite dashboard with a new map I'm working on.

Screenshot is from a dezl 760 which offers several additional data field choices such as sunrise/sunset, grade and mile marker. The big screen is great for this kind of highly detailed map. :)
  • Nice Dash & Map, don't think it would work on 480*272.
    I like the Garmin Glass as it matches the dash and surround colours on my Toyota, would be cool if I could add some details from my attached EcorouteHD, that way I could have the map and also the details from the HD dash, anyone any ideas?
  • Boyd 1980 Points
    I think the only data that you can use are the options that are available when you tap the field. But I could be wrong... :wink:
  • popej 57 Points
    Some ecoRoute HD data are available for selection, when device is connected to nuvi.
  • Mine is a Nuvi 2595 and none of the ecoRoute HD are available in the dash fields - only ones available are ( none Nav mode Compass, Elevation, Time of day, Fuel Economy) and in Nav Mode (Arrival Time, Distance, Time to Destination, Via Arrival, Distance to Via, Time to Via, Compass, Elevation, Time of day, Fuel Economy) shame because it would be nice to have Batt Volt or Coolant Temp from the HD Dash
  • philhu 91 Points
    Hey

I'd like your glass dashboard files.

I have a 2595 and want the extra fields.

My email is phil@isone.biz
  • On Boyds 7 field dashboard, I find when the speed turns red for over-the-limit, it is very hard to read against the dark background. Anybody made an adjustment that would fix it. Can you send me a variation to try? ekirstein at gmail.com
  • twingo69, are you willing to share your file? I'm at ekirstein at gmail.com
    thanks.
  • Boyd 1980 Points
    I believe the color of the speed is "hardwired" into Garmin's code and you can't change it. You could change the background color though.
  • I believe the color of the speed is "hardwired" into Garmin's code and you can't change it. You could change the background color though.
    Yes, that's what I was hoping for, a lighter background color which then might require black text. I looked at the files and the tutorial, but I'm not getting it.
  • Boyd 1980 Points
    Read the article again and look at the Background section of the code in the text editor. Note that it references images 2/4 for day and 3/5 for night. Now open the dashboard file in GIR_Editor and extract these images as described in the tutorial.

Open these images in Photoshop and you will see the background used by the dashboard. There are portrait and landscape images for both day and night. Make any changes that you want to these images, then replace them in GIR_Editor and save them to a new .dshb file.

Text color is controlled by the <DashboardColors> section. This is also covered in the tutorial. But again, you can't change the red color used when you exceed the speed limit.

I've provided the information you need to make your own dashboards. It's up to you to take it from there. Sorry, but I have sort of "moved on" from dashboards now. :)
  • This is where I got hung up. I didn't see files named 2/4 or 3/5. What does that refer to? Appreciate your help. I would like to learn this. I have opened the extracted files that are 800 pixels wide, thinking it would be the background. Is that the files?
  • Boyd 1980 Points
    Really, it's all thoroughly covered in part 1 of the tutorial: http://www.gpsreview.net/creating-custom-dashboards-for-your-nuvi/

The image numbers appear in GIR_Editor on the left. There is a screenshot in the tutorial. And if that isn't enough, I have included a list in the tutorial.

• I'm finally getting there. Thanks for your patience. One question: If I don't change an image and I change some code in notepad++ but make sure to not change the character count (like just changing a text color) do I still need to open the file in GIR editor and save with a new name?