This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Making Customized Dashboards

Comments

• Boyd 1954 Points
    You only need GIR_Editor if you want to change the images. Glad you are making progress.
  • Just to mention that I used Boyd's excellent tutorial to modify one of the Nuvi 2455 dashboards (Digi). I really like having four data fields (not seven, but not just two), but I removed the titles to free some screen space, and also narrowed the fields somewhat to create space mid-screen so I could move the car down a bit farther. These changes didn't require me to use GIR Editor (although I did use it just to see what images were available). Boyd, thanks for all the great research and careful write-up of what you found.
  • Boyd 1954 Points
    Great, glad that you found it helpful. It would be nice if you 2xx5 owners could make your 480x272 dashboards available for download somewhere, since the tutorial only includes 800x480 examples.

Unfortunately, I can't provide a place to host them though. :cry:
  • Hmmm. Would it be helpful if I took a crack at porting the tutorial examples to the smaller dimensions, at least in part? (I definitely won't commit to making Seven Fields work. Not sure how much of a PITA the images will be, although I should have appropriate tools.)

I might be willing to arrange a hosting setup, but the thought of "hosting" my sorry little Digi hack just makes me sad.
  • Hi Boyd. I was wondering if you had a hack for showing the current street that you are driving on. I know the newer 2597 models are coming with this. But they have taken out driving distance from the dashboard. I have several 2555 models that I prefer. Can anyone help? -T
  • sussamb 780 Points
    You can have distance on the 2013 models. You also get up to four data fields.
  • I thought you had to pull out a menu to obtain the distance on the 2597. So I returned the model and bought a couple more 2555. Need a hack to get the current location though on the 2555 on the dashboard....?
  • sussamb 780 Points
    Nope ... here's a screen shot of mine, road you're on is shown along with road you're to turn on to:

• Pretty cool. I guess I was told wrong. Thanks for sharing that. I suppose you just click on the dashboard and choose what you want to display. But I have to say that I prefer the 2555 dashboard still (and that model comes with optional dashboards). The maps look cluttered with this new design.
  • sussamb 780 Points
    In use it's not as bad as it looks, though I understand why some prefer the 2012 layout, some of the modded dashboards in this thread look superb :wink:
  • Boyd 1954 Points
    I don't know of any way to show current street on the 2012 models. But I think there is a hack for what shows at the top of the screen (such as the next cross street) . It involves doing a hard reset then choosing Luxemborg as the country IIRC (Garmin enables various firmware options based on your country). Then you would want to change things like metric, time and language back to the correct values for the US.

I have never tried any of this but read about it somewhere. Don't blame me if you try and it breaks your Nuvi. :twisted:
  • This is exactly what I was looking for - link to download some alternative dashboards -- thanks !!

Unfortunately, Garmin just does not Get IT.
    These dashboards are stupid, Stupid, STUPID.

I want More Functionality - NOT silly graphics.
    I want More Visibility - NOT pixels wasted on "cute" graphics.

If I was a 12 year old who just wanted a toy - then fine.
    But I am an adult who good directions, lots of real data, and clean easy functionality.
  • Boyd 1954 Points

This is exactly what I was looking for - link to download some alternative dashboards -- thanks !!
    Based on what you've said, this is exactly what you're looking for. :D Creating your own custom dashboards.
  • BalooDK 31 Points
    edited May 2014
    First i would like to thank Boyd for his fantastic work !!

Now, i have some problems i hope someone can help me with.
    I start with a picture of what i want when its finished:

And then a picture of how far i am right now:

As you can see, I'm not quite there yet. The first 3 fields in top row are meant for Via point info, and the first 3 fields i bottom row for destination info.

My questions:

1. Is it not possible to ad another field (got 7, but need 8 ) ?

2. How do i get the speed limit out of the box (This error is also in Boyds seven field dash)

3. Can i set a field to be empty, when no route... would like to only use bottom fields

Thanks
    BalooDK
  • Boyd 1954 Points
    edited May 2014
    Hey BalooDK, glad you like the tutorial. I have moved on to other things these days so I can't do any in-depth troubleshooting for you, but here are some thoughts.

There is no limit to the number of fields (AFAIK), the only limit is that you must be able to fit the code into the space provided by an existing dashboard.

I don't see that problem with the speed limit here, so maybe it is specific to the EU style of display? IIRC, for the 7 field dashboard I converted the US speed limit icon but did not deal with the EU version. I think you will need to re-define that image to fit your field.

I think fields always have one value display during a route and another when not navigating. Sometimes they will be blank if no data is available though (such as a speed limit field when there is no data for the road you're on.

Hope you are able to resolve these problems - looking good so far!
  • BalooDK 31 Points
    Thank you for your reply. I Totally understand if you have other things to do, and i know this thread is kind of old (Wonder why i didn't find it a long time ago, been searching for something like this forever)

I found an easy solution to the speed limit problem. Switched from your seven field code, to the Garmin RV dashboard code. I can even get all fields to show, but then the theme kind of breaks. All images disappear, even when the code fits the provided space.

Maybe someone can answer this quick question:
    Shouldn't it be possible to leave out the TitleDisplay and BackgroundDisplay code from all fields ??
  • Boyd 1954 Points
    edited May 2014
    From page 3 of the tutorial....

http://www.gpsreview.net/creating-custom-dashboards-for-your-nuvi-page-3/
    The notable thing about the third field of this dashboard is its simplicity. This might stand as an example of how to implement a bare-bones data field.

We don’t need a BackgroundDisplay section for this field. Since there’s no action associated with tapping the field, we don’t need an image to show when it’s depressed. The only way to create a simpler DigitalComponent would have been to omit the TitleDisplay section.
    You could include the titles as part of the main dashboard background image. Only downside is that they wouldn't change if allow the user to customize the fields.
  • BalooDK 31 Points

Got it to work. Thanks !!

Moved some fields around. Via point fields at bottom, destination fields on top
  • Boyd 1954 Points
    Nice! :)
  • mkpcxxl 31 Points
    @BalooDK,

great work, I like your dashboard. Is there a possibility that you can send me the dashboard file ?

Thank you
    Michael
  • BalooDK 31 Points
    @mkpcxxl
    Just need to know where to send it ;)
  • mkpcxxl 31 Points
    @BalooDK,

please send it to mkpcxxlmaster@gmx.de
    Thank you
  • BalooDK 31 Points
    @mkpcxxl
    Email sent
  • mkpcxxl 31 Points
    Thank you.

Have a nice Sunday...
    Michael
  • BalooDK 31 Points
    No problem
    Thanks, and the same to you

BalooDK
  • 3xp1or3r 0 Points
    edited July 2014
    @Boyd, I liked your dashboard example and would love to have more information on screen for my newly purchased 2012 nuvi 3590LM. Could you send a copy by email to 95f14198@opayq.com (my masked email address to avoid spam) ?

@BalooDK, you have a great looking dashboard but am I right in surmising you have a smaller screen resolution than my GPS has?
  • BalooDK 31 Points

They should both be 800x480 pixels
    I use the Garmin Dezl 760 truck GPS with a 7" screen
  • 3xp1or3r 0 Points
    In that case, @BalooDK, would you email me yours?
  • BalooDK 31 Points
    Email sent ;)
  • Boyd 1954 Points
    @3xp1or3r - See my tutorial here. There is a link to download the examples as well as the finished 7-field dashboard: http://www.gpsreview.net/creating-custom-dashboards-for-your-nuvi/
  • 3xp1or3r 0 Points
    edited July 2014
    @BalooDK, They just came through! Thanks!

@Boyd, I didn't see the download link. Thanks for pointing that out. I am using an Apple computer so I can't use the software to create my own custom dashboard.
  • 3xp1or3r 0 Points
    I corrected my earlier post, @BalooDK. They just arrived. :)
  • BalooDK 31 Points
    edited July 2014
    Email sent again ;)

I'm using a mac too. Try this program
    https://itunes.apple.com/dk/app/textwrangler/id404010395?l=da&mt=12
  • BalooDK 31 Points
    Oh, ok ;) You probably get them twice then ;)
  • BalooDK 31 Points
    Changed the link in prev reply... wrong program.
    Try the new link for making dashboards on mac
  • Boyd 1954 Points
    As stated in the tutorial….
    Can I edit dashboards on my Mac?

Well… yes, and no. You can certainly edit the files in a text editor; TextWrangler is free and works well. The graphics aren’t a problem either as we have Photoshop, Photoshop Elements, Gimp and other alternatives on the Mac. But there’s no Mac equivalent to GIR_Editor, and that’s what you need to put your own images into a dashboard file. You can work through this tutorial on your Mac, but you will be limited to the images that are already included in the files.

So I’ll assume you’re using Windows for the tutorial. I’m a Mac user myself, going back to 1985. I’m actually writing this tutorial on my Mac. But for some things, you just have to use Windows.
  • 3xp1or3r 0 Points
    Thank you both very much, @BalooDK and @Boyd
  • EKEagle 16 Points
    Really nice work @BalooDK!
  • BalooDK 31 Points
    edited July 2014
    @EKEagle - Thank you very much ;)

I made a new one in blue, with Grade, Direktion & Temperature in the top line (Unchangable), and Arrival time, distance & driving time on the bottom line (Changeable)

How does that look ?
  • Boyd 1954 Points
    edited July 2014
    Looks good! I also have a Dezl 760, and the nice thing about the 7" screen is that you can use fonts that are too tiny for the 4" and 5" devices. How are you getting the temperature field? Is that some kind of external sensor? My Dezl has a few fields not available on the Nuvi - grade, sunrise/sunset time and next exit. But not temperature.
  • BalooDK 31 Points
    @Boyd - The Dezl is connected to a smartphone using Smartphone Link. That way i get weather and better traffic information
  • EKEagle 16 Points
    edited July 2014
    @BalooDK, would you mind sending me your dashboard(s)? ergin.plus@gmail.com Thank you so much! :D
  • BalooDK 31 Points

I'm trying to start up a Danish website for Truck GPS units, and i have uploaded the dashboards on that site. You can download the dashboard without registering.

TruckerGPS.dk

The site is in danish, but i don't think the download section need any explanation ;)
    Give it a try, and please report back if it doesn't work
  • BalooDK 31 Points
    @Boyd - Do you know the field name for the sunset/sunrise ?
    Do you think there could be other field names... i would love to have one with the current street name ;)
    What does the 'Next exit' show ? i don't think i have that one :(
  • Boyd 1954 Points
    Sorry, I don't know anything about field names beyond what I put in the tutorial. The ones I mentioned just appear as user choices if you allow customization. I don't think you will get the current street as an option. 😊

Next exit show the number of the next exit if you are driving on certain divided highways. In the US, highway interchanges are designated by numbers.
  • BalooDK 31 Points
    The Grade and Temperature fields was easy to find the field names for, but i can't find the Sunset. Did a lot of trial and error testing ;)

The exits in denmark have numbers too, but i don't get that option... could be useful though.

I know, but it would be a nice option to show the current street name in the dashboard. It's pretty often i don't know where i am ;)
  • Boyd 1954 Points
    You could try doing a hard reset and choosing the US as your country. That might change what options are available on a customized field. Actually, I have chosen Australia as my country because that makes the AutoZoom menu item appear in the Map settings. If you choose the US, that option disappears.

Garmin has some strange ideas…..
  • BalooDK 31 Points
    I could do that, but then i get those weird looking speed signs you have over there ;)

Yeps, Garmin do many strange things. I wanted the Dezl 760 mostly for the Hours Of Service function, and Garmin Denmark mentioned it as a big selling point on they're danish website. The function does not exist on the european version though (unless you choose us, but it's very different rules)

In the old days, Garmin units leaned how you were driving on different road types, and that resulted in very precise arrival times... wonder why they stopped using that system.
  • EKEagle 16 Points
    Thank you @BalooDK for the downloads! :)
  • BalooDK 31 Points
    @EKEagle No problem, hope they work for you