This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Does such a GPS feature exist?

Toddcan 0 Points
edited November -1 in GPS Discussions
I've owned 2 Garmins over the past ~8 years, and it's time to buy another one just because of the free map upgrades now.

I've always thought the following would be a great feature for a GPS, but not sure if it's viable, or possible.

If I am searching for a POI (let's say a BP gas station). I want the GPS to only show me those options that are along route I am following. I do not want to turn around and go back 5 miles, I do not want to go away from my route by more than say, 1 mile. I want the GPS to show me all the BP gas stations within 1 mile (or something reasonable) of my route, but only those ahead of me.

Possible? Or is this a pipe dream?

Comments

• sussamb 798 Points
    I think many Garmins will do this, mine certainly allows me to search along a route, although it will also show POIs behind me ... but the POI's have arrows that show the direction they're in (and they also show the distance) so if I want to I can just ignore the ones behind me :)
  • I think many Garmins will do this, mine certainly allows me to search along a route, although it will also show POIs behind me ... but the POI's have arrows that show the direction they're in (and they also show the distance) so if I want to I can just ignore the ones behind me :)
    Really? The feature is called something like "search along the route"? I'll look for that.

I would really like the looking forward option only too. Let's say you go through a large city, and you search for fast food. You really want to know the next one in front of you, but it could be 20 miles away, meanwile, the fist 4 pages of the gps results will all be pointing backwards.
  • My HP has an option to show certain POIs along the route such as gas stations. Not specific brands, but stations. I thought this was fairly common.
  • alanb 536 Points
    You don't say what model nuvi you have, but on the older units like my 755T, when you click "Where To" there is a "Near" button at the bottom of the menu. "My Current Route" is one of the choices. The menu layout is different on the newer models, but I think there is something like "Search Near" in the Where To menu.
  • sviking 141 Points
    I think many Garmins will do this, mine certainly allows me to search along a route, although it will also show POIs behind me ... but the POI's have arrows that show the direction they're in (and they also show the distance) so if I want to I can just ignore the ones behind me :)
    Doesn't work so well on curvy mountain roads where that arrow pointing "ahead" might really be pointing to something behind you in the sense that you'd have to turn around. Gets really confusing sometimes, too, when all the arrows are moving around because they're constantly updating. :lol:
  • This feature is available on Garmin units and it's described in the manuals, but they only glance over it. It's a very useful feature, but they don't seem to publicize it very well.

By default the unit finds locations closest to your current location but you can change this. On some units you press "Where To?" Then "Near" and then select from the options. On other units you press "Where To?" Then 3-Bar icon, then "Near." On the 2012 advance and prestige models you press "Where To?" Then the upper right button "Searching Near XXXX."

The options may vary from unit to unit. On the 3790, they are:

Where I Am Now
    My Current Route
    My Destination
    A Different City
    Recent Destination
    Favorite Destination

On the 3490 they are:

My Active Route
    My Destination
    Where I Am Now
    A Different City
    Recent Destination
    Saved Place

This works for any type of searching, whether looking for a specific place (Costco) or just a POI category.
  • My Nuvi 2555 shows little icons along the way for restaurants, gas stations, etc. I use Chevron a lot and the little icon looked just like the Chevron emblem. Plus you can set up a trip right in the ease of your home as it has a very good search. You can enter a particular city into the Garmin and then find many many things in and around it. You can set these as a way point as the 2555 allows multiple way points and find where all the stations, restaurants, Hotels, Motels etc. and many other things.

BTW: Best Buy has them on Sale right now for $139. I bought mine last Saturday for $179 but Cabela's price matches within 7 days and I took full advantage of it this eveing.