This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

TomTom finally comes to Android

gatorguy 224 Points
edited November -1 in Smartphone Navigation
TomTom's mobile app is now available to Android devices thru Google's PlayStore. Currently priced at an introductory $49.99 ($10 under Apples version) for the North American or European apps, it offers the same features that Apple users of Tomtom have enjoyed including spoken turn-by-turn directions, speed camera notifications, HD Traffic reports, and lifetime map updates.

Oddly tho the new Android version is designed for devices with screen resolutions of 800 x 480 or 854 x 480 resolutions only. That excludes compatibility with some of the best Android phones like the Galaxy Nexus and S3, HTC's OneX and even the Nexus 7 tablet. No word from Tomtom on when the app will support the higher quality displays on newer Android models.

Comments

• patruns 10 Points
    Wow, I think that is the first time I have looked at an app and the store said it was not compatible (Nexus). Not a very smart way to introduce an app in my opinion, especially when it will be competing with the free Google Maps app.
  • mvl 191 Points
    Tomtom has confirmed that support for high-resolution devices is coming before the end of the year.
  • Boyd 1744 Points
    Funny, I was in Best Buy today and noticed the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0. With a 7" screen and built-in GPS for $250, I was thinking it might be a nice large-screen GPS platform. Screen is 1024x600 though, so I guess the TomTom software won't work on it.

Of course, an iPad Mini might also be a nice platform :wink: But I don't believe Apple puts GPS chips in their wifi iPads, and the Garmin streetpilot app evidently only runs in low resolution mode.
  • gatorguy 224 Points
    I suspect the iPad mini will include a GPS chipset.

I realize history isn't on my side, and Apple has been clear that wi-fi only models aren't equipped that way ( see KB Article # HT4995 for the Apple explanation), but I think they're in the process of changing tactics. Location services are going to get a lot more attention IMHO.

...on and by the way there supposedly will be a sim-connected version as well if rumors for the vaporware iPad mini are accurate. :lol: