This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Hurricane Sandy

Boyd 1980 Points
edited November -1 in GPS Discussions
Off-topic I know, but just wondering how our members fared during the hurricane? I was really lucky and am counting my blessings this morning. My power never went out. I'm about 20 miles West of Atlantic City here, 65 feet above sea level, but a few miles down my little road it drops to about 5 foot elevation along the Great Egg Harbor River basin. Have not been out yet today, but I suspect they could have some problems down there.

My daughter manages a large office in New York City, right across the street from the building that partially collapsed. Fortunately she was safe at home with her family in Queens.

My heart goes out to all the people who weren't as lucky as we were.

Comments

• alanb 539 Points
    Glad to hear you are OK Boyd ... been thinking about you. We haven't heard from my wife's cousins in Westwood ... I suspect they don't have power. We are hoping they did not get flooded or have any major damage.
  • gatorguy 325 Points
    Figured you had a target on your back with this one Boyd, so great news that you came away pretty much unscathed. Have you spoken to any of your scattered neighbors to see if you were the exception rather than the rule?
  • Boyd 1980 Points
    Thanks. I am back in the woods and can't even see the road from my house. But I can see my only two neighbors' houses in the distance and they look fine. Just got back from a walk in the woods and was quite surprised that there wasn't a single fallen tree on my 10 acres. Even a bigger surprise, the little creek that runs through my land is only at what I'd consider a seasonally normal level.

It was really dry here going into the storm, so that explains it. I have seen the creek at least two feet higher than this before. We had some pretty severe flooding here about 3 years ago and the creek turned into a river. Same thing during Irene in 2011.

There is still a travel ban and only emergency vehicles are allowed on the road, so I don't know what conditions are like in other areas. Mays Landing is the closest town to me, and when I drove through on the day before the storm the river was practically up to the road there already. I'm sure they had some problems.
  • Fiddlesticks! Here I am in the everlasting sunshine. You have all the excitement.
  • Heart of NY Zone A evacuation Zone. Elivation, check my GPS 65 elv.

All is fine

Peace
  • patruns 10 Points
    Lost power for 22 hours and 2 huge trees down. Fortunately, they fell away from the house. Considerably lucky in comparison to many others....
  • G A S food sanity