This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Route planning software for Macs?

Jonzjob 31 Points
edited November -1 in TomTom Car Forum
I have a TomTom 720 and until I ditched my Windoze laptop I had used T.Y.R.E. to do my route planning. A fantastic programme and dead easy to use. BUT it does not operate on my MacBook.

My question is does anyone know if there is a programme that works as well as T.Y.R.E. on a Mac.

I know that there is a programme called "Wine" that will let me run T.Y.R.E. but on looking at how it's installed it looks easy to screw it up. Has anyone any ideas on any other progremmes please?

Edit : - I have just realised that I didn't put this in the correct forum. It is still valid for here becuase the T.Y.R.E. programme is for both TomTom and Garmin machines. If necessary then please move the thread :oops: :oops:

Comments

• Boyd 1765 Points
    Do you still have a TomTom? If so, why are you posting this in the Garmin forum?

If you have a Garmin device, there is full route-planning support on the Mac using their free Basecamp application:

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4449

It is not going to work for sending routes to a TomTom however because their devices do not use the same kind of routes. If you are looking for TomTom software, let me know and I can move your post to our TomTom forum.
  • Boyd 1765 Points
    Thread has been moved to the TomTom forum.
  • dhn 228 Points
    There is no equivalent to TYRE for a Mac, as far as I know.
    However, you can go to routes.tomtom.com and plan a route. Then you can send that route to your unit.

See here:
    http://www.routes.tomtom.com/help/faq#SendingInformation_RouteInfo
  • Jonzjob 31 Points
    Thank you for the quick replies and for moving the thread.

The reason that I haven't used TomTom Home to do routes is that it only gives the option for 'A' to 'B' and more often than not I want to plan a day out to look around the beautiful area we love in. T.Y.R.E. is perfect for just that.

I have just got myself a Garmin Etrex 30 and am starting to have a look at Basecamp, but I'll leave that for a different thread. I get confused enough aas it is :oops:
  • Hi there is an option for Mac it's http://tourstart.org/ and it is free.
  • Boyd 1765 Points
    edited October 2016
    dhn said:

There is no equivalent to TYRE for a Mac, as far as I know.

Was curious about this, so I had a look…. TYRE is now a commercial product, but there is still a free version. It also works with Garmin devices now see: www.tyretotravel.com

Although there still isn't a Mac version, a FAQ on their support site says it will run under WINE. For those that don't know, WINE (and WineBottler) are free open source programs that allow you to run many Windows programs on the Mac without actually installing Windows. Evidently this works by executing Windows API calls with open source equivalents.

It really does work remarkably well. Have not tried to run tyre but I have used it to run old DOS and Windows programs on my Mac. I gather it will also run classic Garmin sotware like Mapsource on the Mac - see: winebottler.kronenberg.org
  • privet01 145 Points
    edited October 2016
    There is also Parallels Desktop for Mac It let's you run Windows OS on a Macbook and have OSx booted as well.

I've not used it, but my son does and he swears by it. I think you have to have a licensed copy of Windows to add to it.

As for me, I just use Microsoft Remote Desktop from the Mac App Store and log into my Windows PC when I'm using my Macbook and need to use a Windows program.
  • Boyd 1765 Points
    edited October 2016
    Wiine/WineBottler are free open source programs that convert windows programs to run on the Mac. You do not have any access to the Windows environment with this approach, your Windows program is converted to a look-alike/work-alike Mac program.

Parallels doesn't allow you to run Windows software, it only allows the Windows Operating System to run in Parallel with MacOSX. In addition to purchasing Parallels, you also have to purchase a stand-alone copy of Windows. So that approach costs several hundred dollars.

I used Parallels for a number of years to run Windows XP on my 2008 MacBook Pro.