This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Android Users…Should I get a Galaxy?

apetersenapetersen 0 Points
edited November -1 in Smartphone Navigation
Hey guys

I’ve been an IPhone user since they came out, recently had a play of a friends Galaxy S3 and was really impressed.

Should I get one, or do you think the iPhone 5 is the go?

Comments

• mvl 191 Points
    The Galaxy S3 was far better than the iPhone 4 when it came out on the market.

However, the iPhone 5 has caught up in most regards. My general sense is that they're about even these days.

However, as you posted on a Navigation forum, we should talk about Navigation differences:
    - The Galaxy S3 has 0.8" larger screen size. My view is that this is very valuable. Once you use the larger screen I doubt you can go back to the smaller screen of the iPhone 4
    - The Galaxy S3 has Google Maps. I find this to be the most detailed, most accurate mapping database in urban areas in the USA. The iPhone maps are brand new, and are as good as the first edition of Google Maps were, but it will take a couple years at least for iOS to close the mapping gap
    - The iPhone 5 has the Tomtom application. Tomtom's app doesn't look as pretty as competitors, but it has by far the best traffic avoidance engine on the market. The Galaxy S3 is supposed to get the Tomtom app by year-end (2012), but at this point it is not yet available.
  • I had the iPhone 3GS, then the 4, then tried the Galaxy Note but now have the iPhone 5. The main reason I went back to iPhone was all the money I had invested with apps and songs over the years of having an iPhone.
  • mvl 191 Points
    Well, after a few months things have changed, and things are again pretty much a tie.

I previously said:
    - The Galaxy S3 has Google Maps. I find this to be the most detailed, most accurate mapping database in urban areas in the USA. The iPhone maps are brand new, and are as good as the first edition of Google Maps were, but it will take a couple years at least for iOS to close the mapping gap
    - Google has since launched its free maps/navigation app for iOS5. This means both phones have the same Google mapping & navigation, and therefore the advantage the S3 had with Google mapping no longer exists.

I previously said:
    - The iPhone 5 has the Tomtom application. Tomtom's app doesn't look as pretty as competitors, but it has by far the best traffic avoidance engine on the market. The Galaxy S3 is supposed to get the Tomtom app by year-end (2012), but at this point it is not yet available.
    - Tomtom has since updated its Android app to support the Galaxy S3, with the same world-class traffic avoidance engine. So the advantage the iPhone had in supporting Tomtom's traffic engine no longer exists.