This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

2555 vs. 1450: Trips and Routes

My 1450LMT is lost or stolen. I'm debating replacing it with a 2555, but I'm still having difficulty understanding the quirks of Trip Planner.

I have relied heavily on BaseCamp to create routes and send them to my 1450, because the routes the 1450 comes up can be so wacky when I just enter a start point and an end point. Most of my routes include several (or numerous) waypoints. I almost never create a route on the 1450 itself -- only BaseCamp. I'm happy to continue doing this, but might like a GPS like the 2555 that holds more than just 10 routes.

I also often "enter" a route at a point other than the starting point. The 1450 then lets me choose to just go to my destination, through the remaining waypoints.

Earlier posts suggest that I can create a route in BaseCamp and send it to the 2555, where it's converted into a trip (actually a bunch of little trips). But some users have said that they can't enter a previously created route/trip and be taken to their destination by the 2555 without being re-routed to earlier points in the trip or otherwise being misdirected. Is this still a problem?

There have also been suggestions that trips can't be saved in the 2555. Does that mean that I'd have to re-send a BaseCamp route to the GPS every time I use it?

I've already purchased a refurbished 1450 at a good price from an Amazon vendor who says it was refurbished by Garmin. It's still in the box -- I haven't even turned it on yet. I have several weeks to return it, so I'd appreciate any guidance on my queries. (Devices like the Montana, which Boyd reports use traditional routes, are quite a bit out of my price range.)

Thanks.

Comments

• sussamb 813 Points
    As I understand it you can send routes to the 2555, which will then be converted into trips. Those trips can then be saved so no need to send them every time you want to use them. However I've read enough about other problems with trip planner which encourages me to hang on to my 1490 for as long as it continues working :)

If I were you I'd certainly go down the refurbished 1450 route that you've started. Note that you can have many more than 10 routes on your 1450. Routes sent by Basecamp (and like you I plan routes on BC) only count towards the 10 route 'limit' after you've imported them.

I keep nearly a hundred routes on my 1490, importing them as needed and deleting if necessary to create space to import more. Note that deleting them doesn't delete the file that contains them that was sent from BC, so after deletion they remain available for re-importation as often as required :wink:
  • As I understand it you can send routes to the 2555, which will then be converted into trips. ... I keep nearly a hundred routes on my 1490, importing them as needed and deleting if necessary to create space to import more.
    Thanks for your quick response. But on your first point, I'd like to hear from some users of the 2555 -- those who may be able to answer my specific questions from experience.

Regarding your second point: Yes, I also keep dozens of routes in My Data, importing them as needed.

Another possible attraction of the 2555: I like the extra junction views that we've been able to get on the 1450s with the large JCV file. But Garmin now seems to be putting up a roadblock to downloading that file. Is it correct that the 2555 uses the large JCV file, or a variation on it?
  • class3 52 Points
    I use to have a 1450 for a short time. I can't remember totally how the old routing engine worked, but one of the main differences vs. Trip Planner is that the 1450 would show the magenta course line for the entire route vs. just for the current segment with Trip Planner. Also, traffic info would be for the entire route, not just the current segment.

Trip Planner is not a real routing app. It's just navigating a series of little trips from one destination to another. The sum of these trips is your "route." Each trip is subject to recalculation by the Nuvi's internal algorithms after import from Basecamp or if you go off route. The trick is to put in enough waypoints to trick it into generally following your intended route. The other trick is how and where you put these waypoints, which brings us to the next issue.

The issue in Trip Planner that some people have is that you have to "arrive" at the current destination before it triggers the next trip. Basically, if you never "complete" your current "trip", it won't trigger the next "trip." This isn't as bad as it sounds. As long as pick a location that is reasonable close to the road (or better yet, on the road), you will trigger completion as you pass through it. Also, you want to pick a straight section of road where there is no ambiguity about where your should go next (because the new magenta line will not appear until you complete the current trip).

Fortunately, the 2555 series is part of the 2012 line and has improved the Trip Planner somewhat. It now allows you to skip the current destination and go to the next one, or any other one in your trip if you want to. So if for some reason you can't trigger completion of the current trip, you can force it to go to the next one.

Either way, Trip Planner is still pretty hokey. The whole thing could be made so much better. It isn't a real route navigation tool in a sense that most people think. I wish Garmin would add such a tool to the Nuvi, but they seem to restrict this to more the expensive Zumo and Montana.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    Also, traffic info would be for the entire route, not just the current segment.

Good point and one I hadn't heard before, makes me even more determined to hang onto my 1490. I can see the scenario ...

Next trip 'segment' has a long traffic delay. You only learn about it when you start that segment. At that point you're committed as there is no way now to avoid that segment.

With my 1490 I can all up all the traffic delays along the entire route, deviating as necessary :D
  • I have a 2555LMT and also a Garmin 2720 gps, recently completed 3200 mile Colorado trip using both GPS with the same routes in both. Total of 10 routes created in Basecamp. Bottom line I used the Garmin 2720 about 95% of the time. I'm trying to sell the 2555LMT, they say the 1490LMT is about the best route usable nuvi,

The issue is the 2555lmt trip planner breaks a route into several small trips and entering the route when you are someplace away from the route ( took a side drive to a different town or place to look at something etc.). The main route waypoints have names related as to where they are at but when in a strange state and on strange roads the names don't mean much, so it creates lots of confusion. Some of my daily routes have a dozen or more waypoints required to create the route I want to go. I like back roads which require a lot of waypoints. You can select any of the individual sections of the main route but if you can't relate to the waypoint names which do you choose?

Garmin has taken a big step backwards with the NUVI series GPS, It is not route user freindly. I still wish I could load the street pilot 2610 with the new maps, next best is the 2720, hopefully the 1490LMT will be route user freindly.

hope this explains the issues with the 2555LMT
  • SergZak 340 Points
    Makes you wonder why on earth they changed routes to trips. Are trips any better in any way than the legacy routes? Ever since trips was implemented, we've heard so many negative comments about it. I don't recall people complaining about the legacy routes. Garmin seems to "fix" things that don't need fixing.
  • I haven't found any benifits to the trip/planner option over the routes in the older units. Take a look at the amount of data a Streetpilot 2610 etc. will display compared to the units to day. The nuvi does have a couple of nice features I like, the speed limit and the exit services. I don't use the Blue tooth and traffic so can't comment on those features.

I wonder if Garmin's software and design engineers ever actually use what they end up making. Or if they ever send out prototype units and have some hands on testing? Seems to me this would be very useful to Garmin.

Maybe they should go back to a nuvi desgined for highway (route planning and usage) and bring back the features they have dropped and not try to make a unit that covers everything from traveling to hiking. looks to me they would have the best units ever made.
  • Makes you wonder why on earth they changed routes to trips. Are trips any better in any way than the legacy routes? Ever since trips was implemented, we've heard so many negative comments about it. I don't recall people complaining about the legacy routes. Garmin seems to "fix" things that don't need fixing.
    Barf. Not that I can see. My old Nuvi 750 did routes better and estimated my ETA better than my current Nuvi 3790 can do "trips".

Maybe the current "trips" thing would work better for a UPS delivery truck driver but I have to think that most users of the New Nuvis are not making 50 deliveries a day. Rather they want to get from a start to a destination following a route that they want to follow and not the route the Nuvi wants it to take. (like around the big city and not through it)
  • sussamb 813 Points
    Well today I had a chance to play with trips on my newly acquired 2058LT-D. I decided to get this one as my 1490 was producing some rather weird noises at times, so in anticipation of it perhaps failing in the near future, and unable to get that model anymore in the UK, felt the time had come to bite the bullet and buy a more 'up to date' GPS.

I also wanted to see if the digital traffic was an improvement over the previous Garmin traffic service.

So far I've been (pleasantly) surprised at how trips work. Clearly Garmin have done some work since the early days and with one exception everything seems to work as well as with routes. I was expecting just to see one trip segment on the map, and that once I reached the end of one 'leg' the nuvi would calculate the next. Not so. The whole 'route' is shown on the map so as you approach a via point there is no confusion about where to go next. The only real bugbear is that unlike a 'route' on my 1490 where I could simply miss a via point and the 1490 would continue to route me onwards the 2508 insists I go through every via point.

This is either a curse or a benefit, depending on whether you actually do need to visit the via points or not.

It is though relatively simple to amend the route on the 2508, though one button that says something like 'Skip next point' would be a useful addition. As it is you have to select Apps>Trip Planner>Active route then chose the next point to navigate to.

You can still create 'routes' on the fly, using multiple 'Where to's', and if you do via points are pure shaping points, and are not announced. I also like the fact that I get offered a choice of routes that are shown to me on the map along with time/distances for each allowing me to pick the one I prefer.

Overall I thought I'd be tearing my hair out having to use 'trip planner', but my 2508 is already beginning to win me around. Next step is to see how it interacts with Basecamp :)
  • t923347 432 Points
    If you have the newest version of Basecamp for PC, I think you'll find your hair will remain in place. :wink: Using the "Trip Planner" function in Basecamp works pretty well with the Nuvi. The one thing you will notice is that if you build a single multi day "trip" in Basecamp, when you transfer it to the Nuvi, you may end up with multiple one day trips depending on the number and length of days you tell Basecamp you want to use for your trip. This really isn't a bad thing, just something different from what you are used to with "routes".
  • sussamb 813 Points
    I can't see me building multi day trips so that shouldn't be an issue for me. Need a new voice though, Serena's pronunciation is pretty dire!
  • t923347 432 Points
    Does your new Nuvi use the new TTS3 voices? If so the only place I've found any for download is from myDashboard - Updates - Optional Updates in your myGarmin.com account. They don't seem to be listed using WebUpdater or Garmin Express.

There are 7 English voices there including Serena. Other english voices include male and female Australian, male and female American, and an British male voice, Daniel.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    Yep, seems to. Thanks for the tip on myDashboard, I tried WebUpdater but got zilch :lol:

Incidentally noticed in the UK locale that I can switch autozoom off :)
  • popej 57 Points
    You can still create 'routes' on the fly, using multiple 'Where to's', and if you do via points are pure shaping points, and are not announced.
    It looks like Garmin finally decided to make something usable.
    I also like the fact that I get offered a choice of routes that are shown to me on the map along with time/distances for each allowing me to pick the one I prefer.
    Better check how it works before using. On nuvi 34xx these aren't variation of routes with your preferred settings but selection is between fastest, most economical and shortest route. Well, never take shortest unless you have 4-wheel drive and feel adventurous.
  • t923347 432 Points
    Yep, seems to. Thanks for the tip on myDashboard, I tried WebUpdater but got zilch :lol:

Incidentally noticed in the UK locale that I can switch autozoom off :)
    Yea, it seems like you can pick almost anyplace other than NA and get the autozoom option. Very weird. :?:
  • sussamb 813 Points
    I also like the fact that I get offered a choice of routes that are shown to me on the map along with time/distances for each allowing me to pick the one I prefer.

Better check how it works before using. On nuvi 34xx these aren't variation of routes with your preferred settings but selection is between fastest, most economical and shortest route. Well, never take shortest unless you have 4-wheel drive and feel adventurous.
    Seems like it's simply the fastest plus next fastest etc, but I haven't looked in detail. Often it only gives 2 choices as there isn't a sensible 'third choice'. I'll do so tomorrow if I get the chance.
  • popej 57 Points
    Does your nuvi remember zoom setting, when using autozoom off?

Nuvi 34xx reverts to 300m any time I use menu, which makes autozoom off useless for me.

Next question, does it have any other routing mode than car? Like pedestrian or bicycle?
  • t923347 432 Points
    In my case the answers are No and No

With autozoom off the Nuvi will default to a preset zoom level each time you turn it on, whenever you browse the map and then go back to the standard map screen and when you go to a menu and then back to the map screen. All that being said I still prefer autozoom off to having the map zooming in and out all the time by itself. At least while driving down the road, setting the zoom level to what I want means it will stay there.

There is only one routing mode, automobile.
  • popej 57 Points
    There is only one routing mode, automobile.
    But trip planner still has menu to select routing mode for each leg? Only with a single choice? :)

Garmin declare nuvi models 2013 as compatible with CityXplorer maps. But the idea of Extended Pedestrian Mode seems to be forgotten, no more devices with that feature.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    With autozoom off the Nuvi will default to a preset zoom level each time you turn it on, whenever you browse the map and then go back to the standard map screen and when you go to a menu and then back to the map screen.
    Are you sure about that - this is different from my two recent models on which I have disabled autozoom (by setting the country to Australia). If you choose a zoom level on the navigation screen, then browse the map, the zoom setting will not change. When you return to the navigation screen, the zoom will be set to whatever you chose before browsing the map.

However, if you change the zoom while browsing the map, it will revert to the setting you chose before browsing. Now, if you leave the navigation screen and go to the main menu, when you return to the navigation screen it will always set the zoom level to 0.2 miles (similar to 300m).

Finally, if you choose the three-bar menu from the navigation screen, when you return then the zoom level is not changed. The three-bar menu contains many items from the main menu, so when possible, I use it and it doesn't change my zoom preference.

If this sounds complicated.... it is! :lol:
  • sussamb 813 Points
    Still working my way around this :twisted:

Certainly wish it worked like on my 1490 ... set the zoom levels at certain speeds and it remembers them, so that it autozooms to them at the appropriate speeds. Didn't work like that with autozoom 'on' on my 2058, haven't yet tried it with autozoom 'off' ... that's for tomorrow :)
  • t923347 432 Points
    Sorry, browsing map doesn't change the zoom setting.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    If you have the newest version of Basecamp for PC, I think you'll find your hair will remain in place. :wink: Using the "Trip Planner" function in Basecamp works pretty well with the Nuvi.
    Tried this now and very impressed, 2508 even accepts 'shaping/do not alert' points from Basecamp and they remain as such :D