Downloading garmin maps for etrex 20

Garmin says I need a card reader to purchase the download products. Is this true? Can't I just plug my etrex into a usb port and copy the files over from my PC to the microSD card in my etrex?

Thanks

Comments

• What "download products" are you asking about? It could be that you need a micro SD card in your eTrex to have sufficient storage to install certain products such as maps. So you would need a micro SD card for your eTrex, not a card reader.
  • What "download products" are you asking about? It could be that you need a micro SD card in your eTrex to have sufficient storage to install certain products such as maps. So you would need a micro SD card for your eTrex, not a card reader.
    No, the requirements state that a card reader is required. Here is a quote:

A card reader and microSD/SD card are required to download mapping to the following Garmin devices: eTrex® Legend Cx/HCx, Vista Cx/HCx, Venture Cx; GPSMAP® 60CSx/60Cx; GPSMAP 76CSx/76Cx; Rino® 520HCx/530HCx; Astro® 220; StreetPilot® 7200/7500 (Not all devices are compatible with all downloads. View the Products tab for compatibility with this product).
  • However, an eTrex 20 is not one of the models listed in your quote.

I don't have an eTrex 20, but when you plug your eTrex into the computer, does the SD card slot show up as a drive letter? If you have a micro SD card installed in the slot, can you directly copy files back and forth from the computer to the eTrex card slot? That is the way it works on my Oregon, and I would suspect it does the same on your eTrex 20.

Another frequent forum poster, sussamb, has an eTrex 20. He will probably weigh in here later and confirm whether or not this is the case.
    Well... It said "etrex" so I assumed that meant any model of etrex.
    I don't have an eTrex 20, but when you plug your eTrex into the computer, does the SD card slot show up as a drive letter?
    Yes... that's why i asked the question. Logic dictates that I could simply copy the file over. But never having done this before, I tought perhaps there might be peculiarities with garmin map files that required something else.
    The actual text reads "eTrex® Legend Cx/HCx, Vista Cx/HCx, Venture Cx;"

These are all versions of the original eTrex series:

eTrex® Legend Cx
    eTrex® Legend HCx
    eTrex® Vista Cx
    eTrex® Vista HCx
    eTrex® Venture Cx

The current eTrex are simply the 10, 20, and 30
  • Those old eTrex devices are very different. They use a micro SD card to store all maps and don't have internal memory like the eTrex 20 and 30.

I don't have an eTrex 20, but when you plug your eTrex into the computer, does the SD card slot show up as a drive letter? If you have a micro SD card installed in the slot, can you directly copy files back and forth from the computer to the eTrex card slot? That is the way it works on my Oregon, and I would suspect it does the same on your eTrex 20.

Another frequent forum poster, sussamb, has an eTrex 20. He will probably weigh in here later and confirm whether or not this is the case.
    Yes, that's correct. No need for a card reader etc for the new Etrex line. If you have a card installed in your Etrex 20 both it and the GPS show as removable drives.

Yes, that's correct. No need for a card reader etc for the new Etrex line. If you have a card installed in your Etrex 20 both it and the GPS show as removable drives.
    Thank you! Sorry about the confusion. As you can see, I am completely unfamiliar with any of these devices!
  • No problem, that's why we're here :)

Have you decided yet which map (s) you intend to download?
  • No problem, that's why we're here :)

Have you decided yet which map (s) you intend to download?
    No I haven't. Frankly it is near impossible to make an educated choice without actually trying them out. For example, apparently the downloaded versions are not accessible on a PC but I will not know if this is an issue or not unless I try it (i.e. I might buy the download and then realize I wish I could do something with it on the PC, or I might buy the DVD and then realize I should have just downloaded the thing onto my device.)

It would be nice if Garmin provided online demos so folks could see the difference in functionality.
  • Well Boyd pretty well explained the Garmin options in the other thread you started:

http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/comment/181280/;highlight=#181280

One thing to bear in mind is that even if you select a method that doesn't install the maps onto your PC as well as your GPS then you can still always view them on your PC by connecting your GPS as Garmin's free Basecamp program will read the maps off your GPS.

If I were you I'd start off by trying the available free topo maps to see if they meet your needs. If not then you can give more thought to whether you want to pay for Garmin maps.

I just use free ones on mine, and haven't felt the need to pay for any.
  • Well Boyd pretty well explained the Garmin options in the other thread you started:

http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/comment/181280/;highlight=#181280

One thing to bear in mind is that even if you select a method that doesn't install the maps onto your PC as well as your GPS then you can still always view them on your PC by connecting your GPS as Garmin's free Basecamp program will read the maps off your GPS.

If I were you I'd start off by trying the available free topo maps to see if they meet your needs. If not then you can give more thought to whether you want to pay for Garmin maps.

I just use free ones on mine, and haven't felt the need to pay for any.
    I actually did install a free topo map and it works for me. But now I need to decide what to do for road travel. Perhaps some of the ambiguity/confusion comes from Garmin not explaining things well. Here is what they say about downloaded maps: "Note: The download is installed directly to your device or microSD/SD card and is not accessible on the computer."

What this says to me is that the only interaction available with this map will be via my gps device, and there is no way to see them on my computer screen. Are you saying that this is not the case?
    The actual text reads "eTrex® Legend Cx/HCx, Vista Cx/HCx, Venture Cx;"

These are all versions of the original eTrex series:

eTrex® Legend Cx
    eTrex® Legend HCx
    eTrex® Vista Cx
    eTrex® Vista HCx
    eTrex® Venture Cx

The current eTrex are simply the 10, 20, and 30
    I totally read this wrong. I saw it as listing these models: etrex, legend cx, legend hcx, Vista cx, vista hcx, and venture cx. When in fact these are all versions of the etrex. Goes to show how a small thing like a comma can make a huge diference in the message.

• I actually did install a free topo map and it works for me. But now I need to decide what to do for road travel. Perhaps some of the ambiguity/confusion comes from Garmin not explaining things well. Here is what they say about downloaded maps: "Note: The download is installed directly to your device or microSD/SD card and is not accessible on the computer."

What this says to me is that the only interaction available with this map will be via my gps device, and there is no way to see them on my computer screen. Are you saying that this is not the case?
    If you download the Garmin road maps then Garmin's Basecamp will read them off the device. When it says 'not accessible on the computer' it simply means that the maps aren't downloaded to your PC.

The downside of course is that your GPS needs to be connected, although there are ways to get around this. If you copy your Etrex onto a memory stick or SD card not only do you then have a back up should you need one, but your PC will treat that as your GPS and so Basecamp will read the maps off that instead :wink:

• I actually did install a free topo map and it works for me. But now I need to decide what to do for road travel. Perhaps some of the ambiguity/confusion comes from Garmin not explaining things well. Here is what they say about downloaded maps: "Note: The download is installed directly to your device or microSD/SD card and is not accessible on the computer."

If you download the Garmin road maps then Garmin's Basecamp will read them off the device. When it says 'not accessible on the computer' it simply means that the maps aren't downloaded to your PC.

The downside of course is that your GPS needs to be connected, although there are ways to get around this. If you copy your Etrex onto a memory stick or SD card not only do you then have a back up should you need one, but your PC will treat that as your GPS and so Basecamp will read the maps off that instead :wink:
    Thanks so much for clearing that up! That makes my decision MUCH easier! One more thing... When you say "copy my etrex on to a memory stick" do you mean physically browse to the files on my etrex then copy and paste them using my PC? Or is there a garmin utility program I should use to do this (either on the unit or in Base Camp)?
  • Just copy them across using Windows Explorer :wink:

BTW please note there's no need to quote a post if it's immediately above yours :). It makes the thread tricky to follow as well as taking up unnecessary space.
  • OK thanks... Sorry about the quote... Bad habit. Thanks again for explaining!
  • If you buy the download version, you will have the entire map on your device at all times, using up map segment allotment.

If you buy the DVD version, you can have the map on your PC without the GPSr connected, and send the parts of the map you need to your GPSr when you need them, freeing up space on the GPSr and improving response speed.

I always recommend the DVD version.
  • If you buy the download version, you will have the entire map on your device at all times, using up map segment allotment.
    It's not always that simple. Garmin has segmented the download versions differently from the DVD version. For the US Topo 100k product, the DVD contains about 6600 segments - too much to load on any handheld (newer models have ~4000 segment limits, older models only ~2000). But the download version only has about 450 segments - for the entire US.
    It's not always that simple. Garmin has segmented the download versions differently from the DVD version. For the US Topo 100k product, the DVD contains about 6600 segments - too much to load on any handheld (newer models have ~4000 segment limits, older models only ~2000). But the download version only has about 450 segments - for the entire US.
    Fully understood :)

Essentially, the download version is identical to the uSD version, with the exception that the IMG file is locked to the GPSr and not the uSD card.

My research indicates the DVD versions contain more information than the download/uSD card versions.

To use either of those versions with BaseCamp, you have to have your GPSr connected.

With the DVD version, I can use the map with BaseCamp freely, and I can send any portion of the map to my GPSr I choose. Smaller maps = quicker boot times and faster map screen response.
  • The DVD versions cover a larger area, but are more expensive than the download or memory card. Generally I agree with you though, and the DVD version is not locked to any GPS or card so it can be used on every device that you own, another advantage.